[OT] Favorite Random Sports Memorabilia You've Got

Taro T

I have quite a bit of stuff, but this is about as random as it gets ... and I just got it a couple weeks ago ... it's an old poster from Erie Savings Bank (The Big E!) that is kind of split into thirds with pictures of the Bills, Sabres and Braves from like 1977 or 1978 ... the pictures are totally random, not necessarily of the good players, and normally I would not have given it a second look when I saw it on eBay ...

But when I was a kid, the EXACT same poster used to hang in the office of the bowling alley my grandfather ran in Buffalo, the Roc-Mar (anyone remember it? It used to be where the Tops is now right off the Grant Street exit of the Scajaduada). Anyway, I think that poster stayed in there from like 1978 until they closed it in 1986 or so ... when we were kids we pretty much had the run of the place, it was a fun place to grow up. So now I feel like I have a piece of it even though it is long gone.

My brother had his car stolen at the Roc-Mar!

A very good friend of mine works for the Sabres so I have acquired some very good junk over the years..My most interesting is I have the Goal that Brett Hull scored the NO goal sitting in my driveway where I am reminded every day I leave..LOL..I have a stick signed by all the Sabres of the 99 cup team..I gave it to my oldest son..Then my youngest son saw all the signings and decided to sign his own name with green marker..LOL..He was only 3 but his stands out more tthan the rest..I have 4 Hasek signed Jerseys..A lafontaine, Hawerchuk, Mogilny signed glossy photo I took..But my favorite non Sabres Item is a signed Tom Landry Roger Staubach picture my wife got me....

My brother had his car stolen at the Roc-Mar!

It wasn't me! ;)

Granted, in some ways it probably wasn't the ideal place for kids, especially at night ... but so much family worked there and so many "regulars" looked out for us, we had no idea some of the stuff that went on until we were much older.

I read alot. I don't post alot. But I saw this topic. You have to believe me.

I have a hockey stick signed by Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito. But that's not why I'm posting.

I have a jock strap and cup, signed to me, by Rob Ray ... my only comment is that I didn't ask for it.

Life is funny ....

I read alot. I don't post alot. But I saw this topic. You have to believe me.

I have a hockey stick signed by Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito. But that's not why I'm posting.

I have a jock strap and cup, signed to me, by Rob Ray ... my only comment is that I didn't ask for it.

Life is funny ....

My little cousin used to love Rob Ray. My cousin was 7 and played hockey himself. I was at a bar where Ray was too and I asked him to sign something to him. I said to "put something in there about scoring goals and not fighting." Ray gave me an FU look, but he signed it that way anyway. I think you have me beat though!

I also said something stupid to Mike Hartman when I was a kid. He was signing autographs at the Erie County Fair in a freaking horse shedrow. We had traded Kevin Maguire at the end of that past season, so I asked Hartman, "Do you think you'll be able to handle yourself now that Maguire is not on the team?" I said it out of nerves I guess....but his look was 50%FU and 50% shock that some 6th grader would ask him a question like that.

What is funny is that the last time there was a thread like this, a really nice guy from Finland found it on Google and contacted me about selling him a Sabres game worn jersey. I haven't seen him here since then, but he is now the proud owner of a Miko Makela jersey. The way the economy is, I may just offer him the whole set I have.

The biggest chance on some great hockey stuff...I missed down in Florida. There was a charity golf tourney for a jockey that had recently gotten badly hurt a few years ago. It was on like a Tuesday afternoon. I couldn't make it, but my friend ended up golfing with Denis Savard and another HOF he didn't know. There were only a little over 100 people there, but they had amazing stuff like game worn jerseys from Savard, Mario Lemieux, and tons of other good to great players that were selling for $100-300 a pop. One of the track employees used to play for the Flyers in the 70's and was tellling me all the stuff I missed out on. I wanted to cry. It was for charity to boot.

I love hearing about what people have and stories behind it. That kind of stuff still makes it fun.

I've got quite a bit of stuff, as my father-in-law is a huge collector of Cleveland Indians memorabilia. He has one of the best collections in Cleveland. Anyway, while he's out shopping for Indians and Browns gear, he sometimes sees Buffalo stuff at a good price and buys it for me.

I've got an Offerman Stadium Pennant that I think is pretty darn cool.

I have a Mario Lemieux autographed Penguins puck that my sister-in-law got for me somehow (she's not into hockey, so I don't know how she got it).

I have a real Bills helmet, just like Bruce Smith used to wear (with that type of cage).

I have Alexander Ovechkin's original shield that he scored his first NHL goal with. My team's goalie is a volunteer equipment manager, and he brought this untinted shield into the locker room one night and asked if anyone wanted it. I said I'd give him 20 bucks for it, because it's a really good shield and USA Hockey is sure to make us officials start wearing them. After I bought it, he told me where he got it from. I used it for about 2 seasons, but I've since switched it out. It's wrapped in plastic and sitting in my hockey closet. I should see if I can get OV to sign it for me. That would be cool.

random? a giant 28x45 metal shea stadium parking sign. an andy pettitte signed yankees magazine that i lifted from the team dr's office (i was a patient) :)

stuff that i cherish? a hasek game worn jersey, a winter classic gamer and a miracle on ice team signed 16x20

a few items:

1. my ticket stub from the comeback game against the oilers. (i still recall with incredible clarity looking out over the lowered portion of that bowl where we were sitting and seeing the drunken masses literally running over (through?) the gates that line the outer concourse after reed's 3rd quarter touchdown pulled us to within 2 scores.)

2. a dom rookie card.

3. the sabres light switch cover that i had in my room as a kid (now super-glued together at 2 spots).

Some of you guys have some awesome stuff.

This will likely resonate more with other old farts, but my best non-Sabres/Bills thing was a gift I received from an old friend named Brandi. It was about 12-13 years ago (methinks) that her PR firm was representing an ownership group trying to bring an NHL club here to Norfolk.

As part of the push to get the locals to buy seat licenses they held a rally and brought Mike Eruzione to town to speak.

To my total surprise Brandi arranged a 5 minute sit-down for me prior to the event. I'm still kinda' bummed I never got a picture of us together, but I do have a puck upon which he wrote "Chris, always go for the gold!!!" Under his signature he wrote " '80 Gold".

To this day, that puck is always displayed proudly and prominently in my gameroom/mancave.

I love how Rizzo now looks like a member of the mob. I watched him do a rinkside interview for a college game maybe 5 years back, complete with giant black eye. No, he wasn't being interviewed, he was doing the interviewing. They didn't even bother trying to cover it up with makeup.

Archived