Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Have you noticed anything weird with the sound on NBC with HD? Basically, it's as if it's all reversed - the crowd seems to drown out the announcers. I've noticed this with any sport that NBC broadcasts, but I can't seem to tell if it's HD-related.

I've never noticed, but usually I am too pissed at the video quality to even think about the audio quality. :angry:

It's not a conspiracy. They are actually doing it. And if you have an autistic child iI would seriously look into it. We had a case but because we found out about it too late, our daughter was too old to qualify.

There is nothing in it for the gov't. They are forced to pay by the law.

Like I said before. Vaccines are for the greater good. They have eradicated many very bad diseases. But they do hurt a small number of people and those people should be rewarded damages. I'm lucky enough to have great health insurance. I don't even want to think about what my situation would have been like without it.

In any case thanks for handling this small disagreement over what I'm sure is a touchy subject for you with grace and class. I'd hate to see how something like this would have gone on "the other board".

beer.gif

Yesterday they were calling each other idiots because half of them said they would rather have the current Bills QB than Tom Brady.

• Like (+1) 1

Here we are almost a year after my HD TV purchase, and my T-W feed for some channels is still crap. Fast moving close-ups of sports or action movies results in varying amounts of pixelating on many channels. I have had them out numerous times to no avail. I know it is not the TV, because sports on some channels(ESPN), I don't see the problem at all. Other channels(NBC), are horrible and I see it all the time.

If they are compressing the signal as some here previously suggested, they are never going to own up to it. Therefore, I either live with it, keep making them come out to be a pain in the ass, or switch to having a Wok on the side of my house(no thanks).

PS Verizon has stalled on their FIOS deployment in WNY, so I am screwed in that regard.

I had a DirecTV guy tell me that ESPN is one of the few channels that is true 1080p and all the rest on DTV is 1080i.

This was stolen from Wiki:

"In 1080i each frame of video is sent or displayed in alternative fields. The fields in 1080i are composed of 540 rows of pixels or lines of pixels running from the top to the bottom of the screen, with the odd fields displayed first and the even fields displayed second. Together, both fields create a full frame, made up of all 1,080 pixel rows or lines, every 30th of a second.

In 1080p, each frame of video is sent or displayed progressively. This means that both the odd and even fields (all 1,080 pixel rows or pixel lines) that make up the full frame are displayed together. This results in a smoother looking image, with less motion artifacts and jagged edges. "

Have you noticed anything weird with the sound on NBC with HD? Basically, it's as if it's all reversed - the crowd seems to drown out the announcers. I've noticed this with any sport that NBC broadcasts, but I can't seem to tell if it's HD-related.

I've noticed the same thing on CBC. I pick it up crystal clear off the backend of my rooftop antenna and the announcers on HNIC are difficult to hear over the crowd.

I get all of the things you've listed here. I work for one of the 5 largest companies in the world. It's not size, it's the attitude of the company, but I wholly agree, happiness is critical.

well, you my friend are lucky! :thumbsup: i play hockey with guys who work for the largest companies in charlotte, and they're basically treated like crap. they're all jealous of my perks, and i want their paychecks.

gotta agree with you on that one. i could make 20K more at a larger company, but my coworkers are great (we're a company of 10), i get 4 weeks paid vacation anually, and i can come and go as i please to accommodate my 3 year old son and his daycare schedule. my boss is a tightwad and can be a major ass (plus he's french), but he's been nothing but supportive through my divorce and has given me a few free days to deal with stuff. at the end of 2011 i'll have been on the road for 115 days, and starting in 2012, i'll be done traveling. as much as i enjoy the international travel, at this point of my life, i need to be with my son as much as possible. the divorce has been really hard on him, and he doesn't like staying with his mom on her nights. i told my boss for my peace of mind and the well being of my kid, i couldn't do the travel anymore, and he said no problem and is basically giving me a promotion (no raise though... like i said, a tightwad). i know i wouldn't get the same perks working for a large company.

i've worked for smaller companies. definitely a different vibe. our owner was the opposite of tight-wad; he kept our break room stocked with a ridiculous amount of candy, snacks, and drinks. no lie--he's the one who got me hooked on rockstar. :) however, when the budget needed a trim, those were the first perks to go. 90% of the time, if i had an illness or a sick child at home and my wife had to go somewhere, i could work at home with no one batting an eye. i didn't abuse it, which helped build trust, which in turn helped when i really needed to use a week of telecommuting.

i hit the jackpot with this company. guaranteed 4% raise every year, 40 hours of sick leave, 10 paid holidays (4 of which are floating holiday days, used at my discretion), 4 weeks of paid vacation a year (earned at 4.6 hours per pay period, but still--excellent!) ... it's just ridiculous how well this company treats its employees. and they encourage management to work for and with their "underlings." it's night and day different from what i'm used to.

In any case thanks for handling this small disagreement over what I'm sure is a touchy subject for you with grace and class. I'd hate to see how something like this would have gone on "the other board".

beer.gif

Yesterday they were calling each other idiots because half of them said they would rather have the current Bills QB than Tom Brady.

This had had me laughing for quite some time now.

My complaint. NFL To Go. Last year I went 4 weeks before canceling and figured they would have ironed out all the wrinkles by now. Nope. Had to watch a grainy bootleg.

Here we are almost a year after my HD TV purchase, and my T-W feed for some channels is still crap. Fast moving close-ups of sports or action movies results in varying amounts of pixelating on many channels. I have had them out numerous times to no avail. I know it is not the TV, because sports on some channels(ESPN), I don't see the problem at all. Other channels(NBC), are horrible and I see it all the time.

If they are compressing the signal as some here previously suggested, they are never going to own up to it. Therefore, I either live with it, keep making them come out to be a pain in the ass, or switch to having a Wok on the side of my house(no thanks).

PS Verizon has stalled on their FIOS deployment in WNY, so I am screwed in that regard.

They are compressing signals. The only pure signal is ota hd. TW sucks and I am lamenting the stall in FIOS as I want to get away from TW so bad for long I cant stand it and I think, their was some regulation passed that said MSG HD would have to be made available to FIOS also. Not positive and it doesn't matter until FIOS gets a few more miles down the road and into Cheektowaga. But when?

There my complaint. Vrizon get FIOS movinmg again!

I would also suggest simply swapping thje box out for another which is advantage of TW. Are you running an older box or newer? The old ones are choking on all the information being sent to them.

The UB STUDENT HUD CENTER SUCKS!!!! It replaced the old system and it is like going back in time. Nothing is laid out well, it looks like sh!t. If you dont touch it for more than 5minutes it times out and you have to close all of your browsers and relogin to it. Its a freaking nightmare and the idiot at UB who implemented it should be burried it center ice in tiny little peices. Crap software UB crap!

Also UB is not sending out bills anymore, you just have to instictually know what you owe... they are still charging late fees even though they pushed back finacial aid 3 weeks... Yup thats right you dont get your aid til the 3rd week but we are charging you a late fee cuz you didnt pay your bill by week 1.... UB, EPIC FREAKING FAIL!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

They are compressing signals. The only pure signal is ota hd. TW sucks and I am lamenting the stall in FIOS as I want to get away from TW so bad for long I cant stand it and I think, their was some regulation passed that said MSG HD would have to be made available to FIOS also. Not positive and it doesn't matter until FIOS gets a few more miles down the road and into Cheektowaga. But when?

There my complaint. Vrizon get FIOS movinmg again!

I would also suggest simply swapping thje box out for another which is advantage of TW. Are you running an older box or newer? The old ones are choking on all the information being sent to them.

The newer boxes meaning the Cisco ones?

I thought the new cable box/dvr's were the Cisco ones? That is what I have been told in the past and every time I ask, I am told they don't have any available for swaps.

Huh? Are you near the stand alone TW building on Union? They should do an immediate swap no questions asked.

If you make them come for a service call to check it out the tech will start by replacing the box. I'm still using and older HD DVR and it is a problem almost everyday but I am loathe to transfer the crap I have on the dvr to a dvd. I had the ice bowl and the pre game and had to dump the game for space once a space. Still have the pre game which is cool. I like the size of the new whole house hd dvr its huge but I dont need the rest of the service. I was unaware they are into Cisco boxes now. I dont think mine even has an hdmi port. I'm still using Component cables until the tv dies and then I need a tv and a receiver and get up to date.

One of my really good friends, like one of those "life friend" types, just recovered from very serious eye surgery only to now have to have surgery in a more unpleasant spot. She's having about the worst summer I can imagine, and she sure doesn't deserve it.

One of my really good friends, like one of those "life friend" types, just recovered from very serious eye surgery only to now have to have surgery in a more unpleasant spot. She's having about the worst summer I can imagine, and she sure doesn't deserve it.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Eleven. :(

My complaint: my mom has been unemployed for 6 months now, and because of having moved to a state with much less generous unemployment benefits, she just found out her extended benefits will be about 1/4 of what she was previously receiving (which was already just enough to get by). If she doesn't find another job soon things are going to get really bad. Hopefully something comes through because I'm supposed to go out there for a visit in a few weeks and I don't want to contribute to her already stressed financial situation. She had a positive phone interview today, so fingers crossed that the in-person interview next week goes well.

I thought the new cable box/dvr's were the Cisco ones? That is what I have been told in the past and every time I ask, I am told they don't have any available for swaps.

Cisco Explorer 8642 HDC I believe is the newest one. I have whole house HD-DVR. Signal is not as strong as it can be but this box is a lot better than the last one.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Eleven. :(

My complaint: my mom has been unemployed for 6 months now, and because of having moved to a state with much less generous unemployment benefits, she just found out her extended benefits will be about 1/4 of what she was previously receiving (which was already just enough to get by). If she doesn't find another job soon things are going to get really bad. Hopefully something comes through because I'm supposed to go out there for a visit in a few weeks and I don't want to contribute to her already stressed financial situation. She had a positive phone interview today, so fingers crossed that the in-person interview next week goes well.

My mom has been out of work for over a year now, and the state of SC has cut her unemployment twice. She's already had to declare bankruptcy, has her house in foreclosure, and will be kicked out in November. Her unemployment is getting cut again as of 10/1. She's tried to get jobs anywhere, even Wal-Mart and Target, but they're only hiring for jobs she can't physically do. Thankfully she had an interview with a company on Tuesday, and it seemed to go well. I hope she gets the job, becasue if she doesn't, come 11/20 she'll either be homeless or have to move in with me. Just another reason why being an only child sucks.

My mom has been out of work for over a year now, and the state of SC has cut her unemployment twice. She's already had to declare bankruptcy, has her house in foreclosure, and will be kicked out in November. Her unemployment is getting cut again as of 10/1. She's tried to get jobs anywhere, even Wal-Mart and Target, but they're only hiring for jobs she can't physically do. Thankfully she had an interview with a company on Tuesday, and it seemed to go well. I hope she gets the job, becasue if she doesn't, come 11/20 she'll either be homeless or have to move in with me. Just another reason why being an only child sucks.

I hope she gets it, too.

I think we're going to see America--and frankly, the rest of the first world--return to another era where more generations of a family live together. I'm not entirely certain that this is a bad thing.

I hope she gets it, too.

I think we're going to see America--and frankly, the rest of the first world--return to another era where more generations of a family live together. I'm not entirely certain that this is a bad thing.

This is the toughest business enviroment I have ever faced. I work in software sales. Everyday is a complete grind. Honestly I am in the "lucky to have a job" crowd.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I've had six ultimately unsuccessful eye surgeries and they are no picnic as you might imagine. Here's hoping that things begin to turn around for your friend.