Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

I'll add one - people who hold up the line at Subway with a list for the entire office/construction crew/family. All I wanted to do was run in, grab a quick bite on my lunch break, and get out. Nope - the guy at the front of the line is holding his list and doing the "on this one I want..." song and dance.

Taser etiquitte aside, if the police ask you to do something do it. If you have a problem, request to see management or send an email to the stadium management after the game. I'm guessing dude had plenty of warnings. Proving a point is nice but risking life and limb to do so is just plain stupid.

Those officers had other options. There was no need to use the taser.

Those officers had other options. There was no need to use the taser.

I agree. The clip with three big(read:overweight) cops and one woman,.. C'mon. They're just lucky her head only hit a chair on the way down and not the corner of the desk.

Also, cops get paid plenty, considering that they can retire after 20 years at full pay(at least in my hometown). What they don't get paid while they're working they make up for in retirement.

Like it or not, and I'm not saying it's right, but the way most people view cops is this, "Cops suck...unless you need one."

DC Traffic.. Spent three delightful hours commuting home today. Normally a 1.5 hour trip with low traffic. That means I had five hours of commute time today. Who was complaining about Buffalo traffic???? Fortunately, I only need to go to DC about three times a month... Thank god for XM radio....

I agree. The clip with three big(read:overweight) cops and one woman,.. C'mon. They're just lucky her head only hit a chair on the way down and not the corner of the desk.

Also, cops get paid plenty, considering that they can retire after 20 years at full pay(at least in my hometown). What they don't get paid while they're working they make up for in retirement.

Like it or not, and I'm not saying it's right, but the way most people view cops is this, "Cops suck...unless you need one."

I was gonna post a youtube video of all the cops who have saved kids from burning houses/cars, saved lives by taking out a bad guy, ran into a building where a gun slinging maniac is threatening to kill anything that moves, etc. etc., but guess what, there wasn't one.

That's why there is this perception. Good cops don't make the news, bad ones do. I promise you this, the good ones outway the bad ones by a lot.

Bitching about some bad seeds is cool and all, but with every occupation comes d-bags.

These guys risk their lives almost every minute of their shift while at work. How many of us can say, at their salary, that we do as well? I know that unless the copy machine decides to explode in my face or some temp. employee decides to take out his salary frustration by emptying a clip into my chest cavity, It's not even close.

But ya, the bad ones are bad, no doubt, just like every rim job who is bad at MY work....

I was gonna post a youtube video of all the cops who have saved kids from burning houses/cars, saved lives by taking out a bad guy, ran into a building where a gun slinging maniac is threatening to kill anything that moves, etc. etc., but guess what, there wasn't one.

That's why there is this perception. Good cops don't make the news, bad ones do. I promise you this, the good ones outway the bad ones by a lot.

Bitching about some bad seeds is cool and all, but with every occupation comes d-bags.

These guys risk their lives almost every minute of their shift while at work. How many of us can say, at their salary, that we do as well? I know that unless the copy machine decides to explode in my face or some temp. employee decides to take out his salary frustration by emptying a clip into my chest cavity, It's not even close.

But ya, the bad ones are bad, no doubt, just like every rim job who is bad at MY work....

Your point is well taken. It really, really is. But I doubt that the "rimjobs" who are bad at your work have the power to deprive people of their civil rights. It's not really comparable.

And yes, there are a lot of great officers out there.

Yep. There's my complaint. The lack of respect overall for the authorities. I've had several encounters with the law, and everyone of them I treated with the utmost respect and I was given the same treatment in return. Is it really all that hard?

Exactly. I have a really hard time grasping why some people act the way they do towards the police. They're just doing their jobs. They don't want to be hassling you any more than you want them to be.

The guy was a fan for the other team, voicing his opinion. The cops didn't like it and told him to leave. That's fair? The have no other 'arsenal' but to taser him? Tasers in general have tought police nothing. Instead of talking the person off the ledge- taser 'em. Instead of learning the right way to cuff somebody - taser 'em. Instead of learning better police procedures - taser 'em.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoDXuGvWDxM

Fair to taser an 11 year old with disabilities because she won't sit still? Shocking a man to death after he doesn't obey police officers commands? You know why? He was having a seizure! Hundreds of people dying because of fatal arrhythmia triggered by tazers.

I have no problem with complaining about improper usages. Do they occur? Yes. So does improper searches, improper uses of force and improper uses of deadly force. It's why officers have to justify things. Lest we forget that just over 30 years ago Police didn't have to fill out a report for shooting at a suspect, but they had to report damage to a patrol car with pages of paperwork. Law enforcement has come a long way since the 70's and it's still evolving. And every time you have a new piece of technology, there will be challenges to using it effectively.

Also, "Hundreds of people dying"? Please.

I'll agree with that.

Just that tasering someone for butting in front of you in the lunch line seems a bit like a power trip.

Of course it's a power trip. Does it happen with any frequency? No. So what's the problem? How is an isolated incident relevant?

I'm not complaining about your response per se, but it did trigger a nerve. I'm using the term 'you' generically. My apologies for thread hijacking.

I'd like to add another one... "complaints about those that complain about police." Of course you don't taser an 11 year old (unless he's waving an AK-47 around). Before the taser, he'd have been smacked in the mouth with a night stick or knocked out cold with a flashlight. That's if he's lucky. That doesn't make it instantly okay, but understand that the taser isn't the root of all police-related evil.

There's this gut response from so many people that the police are all about power trips, racial inequality, abusing the badge, and so forth. How many of you that are bold enough to share that opinion have ever done an ounce of police work? Been to the academy? Hell, have any of you ever gone on a night time ride-along? You can do this, you know, just ask your local police department or an officer if you know one.

The lack of respect for these guys amazes me. The overwhelming majority them put up with the sh*t end of society on a daily basis. Fatal traffic accidents, domestic violence, crack heads. For that, they get to be consistently criticized by a bunch of know-betters. To top it off, they make crap for cash.

Consider this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16997772

That's 75 fatalities occurring since January of 2001. Of the 49% that had autopsy results available, 78.4% were doped up. Of that group, 86.2% were on some sort of stimulant. You're not exactly seeing hundreds of innocent Catholic school children zapped for not getting The Nicene Creed correct. I'm too lazy to look, but I wonder what the corresponding number of police shootings looks like when accounting for overall crime rate.

My grandfather was a NY police officer (and a firefighter, and a WWII veteran), I've a cousin up in the city doing the same thing now and another cousin at the academy. The stuff these guys see would make you physically ill and they (at least these three) do it because they honestly have a desire to help you, whether you think that badge makes them the enemy or not. My grandfather was actually taken hostage at one point.

Lastly, I'm certain that you're right and there are a subset of these guys that are total jerks. A subset of every population sucks. They should be taken care of. Removed. Given Therapy. Something. Look at it objectively, though. Try to put the "F the Police!" cultural response aside and think about it. I've never ever had a bad experience with the police (that I didn't deserve when I was a teenager).

Fantastic post. And yes, there are going to be officers out there who aren't quite right. It's really hard to weed the bad ones out, especially in big departments that are already short on man power. Standards for police officers have really only begun to develop over the last 20 years. A lot of research has shown that better educated officers tend to receive less complaints and perform better. Most departments still don't require more than 30 hours of college credit. As time goes on and standards increase I believe that instances of "bad eggs" may decrease, but you'll never eliminate it. It's foolish to think so. I think law enforcement is making progress though. People just need to learn to not get up in arms every time some schmuck gets tased.

And for the record, a lot of Bills fans probably could use a good tasing now and then. :beer:

Your point is well taken. It really, really is. But I doubt that the "rimjobs" who are bad at your work have the power to deprive people of their civil rights. It's not really comparable.

And yes, there are a lot of great officers out there.

True. But they also don't have to approach vehicles wondering if the driver is gonna blow their heads off, read a grown man who's just raped a child "their due rights", or fight off a drunken A-Hole who decided to raise hell at a bar and charge at the responding officer with a broken beer bottle, so I'd say it's a wash...

the argument is silly. No one is complaining about good cops and no one likes the bad ones. Y'all agree on the same things but are choosing to argue different, singular points.

with that - this thread is closed for 6 more days!

The Michael Vick BS...... I am cringing at the thought, but if the Bills sign him, my season tix are going up for sale. I refuse to support a team that has a POS like him on it. I know, he served his time, blah blah blah.... but I don't want him on any team I am a fan of..... but the positive side will hopefully be making some of my money back on the tix

but I don't want him on any team I am a fan of.....

Well, where do you draw the line? Michael Vick is a special kind of scumbag, but the Bills aren't a team of choir boys.

James Hardy - Pulling a gun on his father

Marshawn Lynch - Hit-and-run, gun & weed possesion

Ko Simpson - I'm Ko Simpson, I'm worth millions

Dominic Rhodes - Convicted DUI

Roscoe Parrish - DUI charge

Donte Whitner - aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest

Marcus Stroud - violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances

That's just to mention a few, not to mention the indiscretions of former Bills, Travis Henry, Willis McGahee, and the like.

Well, where do you draw the line? Michael Vick is a special kind of scumbag, but the Bills aren't a team of choir boys.

Marcus Stroud - violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances

That's just to mention a few, not to mention the indiscretions of former Bills, Travis Henry, Willis McGahee, and the like.

Well I agree, and I know they have some guys who aren't high character players, but I can't stand someone who punished abused and killed dogs for fun.... just not my idea of someone i can support

I think what Vick did was worse. He was responsible for the ritualistic abuse, torture and murder of dozens of dogs. He was the bankroll of a thoughtout criminal enterprise. Many of what you have listed can be considered instances of bad judgment. All, but Stroud, didn't leave the there house that morning with the intentions of doing what they did. Vick was fully aware of what was going to happen.

A co-worker of mine continues to throw me under the bus. He doesn't understand half the stuff we do and always tells people to talk to me for the answers...as if I don't already have an overflowing plate. He "called in sick" yesterday - apparently, to avoid a meeting that he told others I should attend instead of him. Lucky for me, my supervisor isn't going to let him drag me in...this time.