Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

That sucks, but would it really be that much better anywhere else at the moment? Seems like all over good jobs are getting harder to come by

Maybe, maybe not. The economy sucks everytwhere, but I'd bet that the usual suspects, like the Great Lakes areas that have struggled a lot over the last few decades, are in worse shape than others because they are starting with already bad local economies and adding in a bad national economy.

We could have stayed in Florida, where we both were working but might not have had a place to live, thanks to the housing bubble. We were smart enough to realize that something was wrong with the housing market, and didn't try to buy into the housing bubble and get a mortgage for a $500K house like a lot of other people. But the housing bubble got everyone overconfident and cocky, so even apartment properties were converting from rental properties to condos. Ours was no different, so we were offered the choice of buying our 800 sq. foot apartment for $130K or finding a new place to rent. So we had jobs down there but no place to live, whereas here we have places to live but jobs are scarce. The job we moved up here for - my wife's new position - was eliminated when the company lost their contract with the Cleveland Clinic. She was laid off two weeks after my son was born. She found work a few months later, but it's been that kind of repeated kick in the teeth that has killed us.

I'm also going to try to get this thread back on track - I am really starting to rediscover my hatred for other drivers. I'm sick and tired of being stuck in a line of traffic behind an elderly driver who can't drive past 30 MPH. I'm tired of missing traffic lights because people are riding their brakes all the way down the road. I'm tired of watching people not pay attention at traffic lights, sitting there :censored: ing around with something in the passenger seat, doing their hair, eating - all the while we're sitting at a green light.

:death:

LOL, thats ok, It drives me nuts when people complain about other peoples really long posts :nana:

I was thinking of making another post after that one that said I hate it when people make really long posts about personal issues, but you beat me to it

I wonder how many people actually read that post. It's nothing against you, but I read about one line, scanned down and saw how long the post was and immediately gave up.

But anyway, here's a strange complaint. I hate the fact that I don't want to complain about being very busy here at work today (taking a couple minutes off to check this board). So yes, I am in fact complaining about not wanting to complain. This could only happen on a thursday.

When someone text messages you a dozen time a minute and they are doing absolutely nothing and you try to call them to avoid having to text message and they don't answer.

Then they proceed to text you asking why you called.

Oh, and i think i complained last week about this but it still applies... Sarah Palin.

My complaint is....

Getting the first cold of the season. It sucks.

My head and nose and body feel like :death:

It was inevitable for me. Wife and daughter were both sick with colds over the last 2 weeks. Yesterday, I started feeling like crap. Stuffy nose, sore throat, etc...

I second the following complaints.

My complaint is....

Getting the first cold of the season. It sucks.

My head and nose and body feel like :death:

Just getting over mine. It sucks. I once had a friend tell me "you can tell someone is from Buffalo, because they always have the sniffles".

Oh, and i think i complained last week about this but it still applies... Sarah Palin.

More than you could ever know.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWxhDpX8IZs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWxhDpX8IZs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The morning weather report says that it will rain into the late afternoon, but by 11, there is almost not a cloud in the sky. This is normally a good thing, but I didn't grab my sunglasses this morning thanks to that report. I could've used them today.

Your man card is in serious question...

:w00t: Ya know in a impulsive moment of complaining and food affection I show a weakness and I get my coconuts crushed... Nice :doh:

I'll just go now and schedule that gender switch operation... ... :bag:

After reading about everyone's unforunate problems, I don't have a complaint today. I have a governmental job that is secure and I'll admit I need to be more thankful for it. I hope things workout for you guys.

:unsure: and gloating about it man thats just wrong.... :lol:

The never ending baseball season is STILL going on and this year they've stretched out the playoffs... For the love of sports, end it sooner please... Pretty soon we are going to be talking about Mr. Novembers...

Derek Jeter was named Mr. November a long time ago.... lol

I want to complain about the WGR550 internet feed. The audio is out of phase and sounds like s**t. I listened to the feed through an audio console where I work and flipped one of the channels back into phase. It sounded great. I emailed someone at the station a while ago but it is still wrong. Since this is my only media outlet for Buffalo sports, and I'm an audio guy, this is a real drag.

I want to complain about the WGR550 internet feed. The audio is out of phase and sounds like s**t. I listened to the feed through an audio console where I work and flipped one of the channels back into phase. It sounded great. I emailed someone at the station a while ago but it is still wrong. Since this is my only media outlet for Buffalo sports, and I'm an audio guy, this is a real drag.

I remember i was listening to it one time and i was happy about the sh*tty feed. It sounded like transformers were taking over :thumbsup:

I have been waiting a while to have a chance at one of these, Its not really a complaint as it might be more of a rant, but whatever..............

Just to make Labatt happy so it is a complaint I will start it like this

I hate when your boss decides that they need you to work in another area for a while and then they expect you to know exactly what you are doing, and the person who is in charge of that area is never any help and an idiot

I hate when you get rejection letters from job interviews and you can just tell that what they wrote was complete BS

I hate when you buy a house and then a week later after taking posetion of it, your boss comes to tell you the week after taking your first week vacation in about 3 years, that you will most likely be laid off in 2 weeks because the work we have been getting does not really require your services

So now the details

I work as a Draftsperson/Designer at a small construction company where i do a little bit of everything. So about 4-5 weeks ago (just before labour day), my boss came to me and said that with the Site Supervisor/Project Manager off on vacation for the week, and another labourer on vacation, he needed an extra hand on the job site to complete a big job that was coming close to the deadline. I like getting out of the office as much as possible so I said ok. So I worked with a Surveyor the first day laying out the parking lot and the curbs/islands. The next couple days I worked with the excavators digging trenches for the curbs. Thats when the fun began because my boss decided he wanted to keep as much of the existing asphalt as possible for the parking lot, but the drawings we had were designed so that everything was new, so the grades and elevations on the drawings were thrown out the window and I was expected to figure out what they wanted, telepathically. So the first week goes alright, and then I'm told I'm still coming back when the 2 guys come back from vacation until the curbs are in since I worked with the Excavator and Surveyor to lay them out and dig the trenches.

All during this time, and since about July, I had been looking at houses with my girlfriend. We made an offer on one house below asking, and after making a couple counters, we were getting no where (even though the Sellers agent were begging these people to sell cause the house had been on the market so long) so we gave up on that one and moved on. We found a great one that was taken over by the bank right near my house now that woul have been a steal, but we tried to make an offer and think there was some shaddy dealing going on with it cause the Sellers agent would not let the sale go to a competition for the house, as there was an offer made just before ours and he said they would get first crack at it. So we moved on and found another that could be a good investment in a nice neighborhood. It had been vacant since May because the owners had bought it for their son to live in to finish school while they moved out west. They were desperate to sell, but wanted their money back for it. So we offered to pay what they paid a year ago for the house (plus all appliances) and got the house on the condition we take posetion before the end of September. That was not a problem, so we made the deal and took posetion on the 22nd of the house after a quick 2 week closing.

Back to work, So for the next 2 weeks, the work i had just done (the digging and the layout) gets changed and redone about 5 times because the engineer who designed the parking lot doesn't want it to differ from his original design, and also because we were supposed to dig deeper for the curbs to place grannular material below (something I was not aware of was necessary, seeing as how I have never worked installing curbs before). So after a couple more weeks of doing and redoing this work, and guys coming in with machines to grade and regrade the parking lot, I'm starting to get fed up. I am paid on salary, Mon - Fri, 8-5 in the office. I was working more hours and often times I was there longer the the Site Supervisor was, who all I ever saw do the entire time I was there was talk on his cell, make jokes with the subtrades, and take the owners on tours of "his work". I worked 2 extra Saturdays, and even drove down to the Site on Labour day for a couple hours (the only one besides my boss and one of the excavators to do that)

For the past little while I have been applying for jobs to work for local towns/cities in their building departments. So I get 2 calls for interviews, the first on a thursday morning, the next one on the following Monday afternoon. So I tell my boss that I am taking the Thursday off to make up for one of the Saturdays i worked. He never said anything about it, but the Site Supervisor said I couldn't take the time off. I told him I didn't care what he thought and that I worked extra days that I was not paid for, and would be taking this day off for personal reasons, and then compromised by taking only the morning off. Then the next day I message my boss again and tell him that since I couldn't get Thursday off, I needed Monday off. he messaged me that he needed me there and that he couldn't give me Monday off. I said I could be there for the morning, but had things to take care of because I had purchased a house and it closed in a week. He said ok to taking the afternoon off, but the next day they both said they needed me to be fully committed to the jobsite for this week. I had already scheduled my vacation for the next week and was not changing it cause I was using that time to move into my new house.

Fast forward to my vacation, I get the keys to the house late monday and meet my girlfriend and her mother there after she gets home from work. i start mesuring some thing and find that the bedrooms in a 70 year old house weren't made big enough to fit a Queen Size bed, so we decide to make the house a 2 bedrrom from a 3 bedroom and i start taking a wall down the next day. So I spend my week off working on removing a wall and making it look nice instead of moving in. Luckily we both still live at home with our parents so we are in no rush to move in. I get 3 rejection notices for interviews I had been on recently, and all were pretty much the same, "We regret to inform you we chose someone else who was more qualified for the job, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc" For one of the jobs, I had all the qualifications they asked for except for experience in working for a town/City, and from what people tell me, I also didn't have a personal connection with that City/Town. Oh well, I still have my current job, no big deal, I will keep trying. (one fo the jobs I interviewed for has now reposted the job posting) I show up to work on the Friday of my vacation to get my pay check, and my boss mentions that we need to discuss a few things on Monday. So I say ok, see you then, thinking that we are going to talk about upcoming projects. My girlfriend joked that she hopes he isn't firing me.

Well, I show up on Monday, finally back at my desk in my office, about 15 minutes before quiting time, my boss comes to me and says that he feels bad because I just bought a house, but he made the decision last week that he was giving me 2 weeks notice that unless buisness picks up for design build work, he would be laying me off. The big upcoming projects we have upcoming were all designed by Architects, so there is no work for me at the moment, and he is ok with me putting my name out and looking for a new job. I have to spend the night trying to convince my girlfriend things will be fine as she was more worried then i was and instead of working on getting my house ready to move into, I have to spend the night getting my resume sent out and job hunting.

So now I sit here doing absolutly dick all except surf the web looking for a new job at my current job, and venting a bit.

So thats my past couple weeks of rollercoaster ride fun

I don't know what else to say except that I truly feel really sorry for you. I'll be praying for you.

Whoa, I hope things work out for ya.

I've always hated the "we wanted you, but the other person has more experience" line. In today's society, connections are a HUGE help.

Admittedly, that is a major weakness on my part. I've always been my own sort of cat. Aside from this place, I'm extremely introverted and camera shy. My inability to make connections with others may prove to be a major downfall if and when the time comes.