The Official ?why in the hell do you care what the Sabres spend to win? Thread

navybillsfan

Call me nuts, a moron, or whatever? Why in the hell do you guys really care what the Sabres spend to win? I must be missing out on something here? Does anyone get a cut of what the Sabres make in ticket sales here? Or are people so attached to losing and drama that you don?t want the Sabres to spend to win? I?m just trying to figure out some of the genius posters on here worried about overspending on a player. There is no such thing on overspending on a player if the guy can rally the troops and win.

Heres a no brainer???.. YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP!

And the Sabres are not doing that

With the free agent era of NHL upon us?. The days of drafting a team hoping to win a cup is a nil. You have to play the market, recruit and trade.

This is not a call out post. We are all dedicated fans here. Im very bitter about the facts of our managements piss poor job on player security/sustaining this team. Do They want to win or is TG worried about filling his pockets. I really dont want to see him go hungry :cry: . I really think the fans of this city DESERVE to line the streets of Buffalo and watch our Sabres parade a cup and that chance of becoming the new hockey town has drifted away.... Nuff said!

With the free agent era of NHL upon us?. The days of drafting a team hoping to win a cup is a nil.

hear, hear!

i mean, it's not as though the red wings actually drafted zetterberg, filpulla, franzen, hudler, kronwall, holmstrom, datsyuk, osgood, lidstrom ...

oh wait. my bad.

yeah, i'll go with "whatever."

Call me nuts, a moron, or whatever?

Nuff said!

indubitably.

hear, hear!

i mean, it's not as though the red wings actually drafted zetterberg, filpulla, franzen, hudler, kronwall, holmstrom, datsyuk, osgood, lidstrom ...

oh wait. my bad.

yeah, i'll go with "whatever."

indubitably.

don't mean to be rude.

but most those players were drafted BEFORE the lockout which kind of makes his point.

don't mean to be rude.

but most those players were drafted BEFORE the lockout which kind of makes his point.

making a sound point is never rude - touche'.

the way i see it: the wings' dynastic success spans the pre- and post-lockout eras, and it's been the drafting and developing of their own players to fit a system they want to play that has been the primary common denominator throughout.

obviously, they've done well to add key pieces along the way (hasek, rafalski, et al.) -- and i won't deny being jealous of their owner's willingness to do so. but the life-blood of a franchise remains its draft/development efforts.

making a sound point is never rude - touche'.

the way i see it: the wings' dynastic success spans the pre- and post-lockout eras, and it's been the drafting and developing of their own players to fit a system they want to play that has been the primary common denominator throughout.

obviously, they've done well to add key pieces along the way (hasek, rafalski, et al.) -- and i won't deny being jealous of their owner's willingness to do so. but the life-blood of a franchise remains its draft/development efforts.

And it doesn't hurt that your organisation has a sound reputation.

Most players in this league would kill to play for the Wings, as to where the same players would kill NOT to play for the Sabres, even though we made it to two ECF straight.

My point here is that everybody expected the Wings to remain competitive even if they lacked immediate post-season success, and pretty much everyone expected the Sabres to come to a grinding halt at some point. Although I doubt anyone expected us to still be blowing up the team 24 months after losing Mike Grier, Jay McKee and JP Dumont.

Things look grim. Not because we're not spending money, not because we have no leadership on the roster, not because we can't get rid of Max, but because nobody wants to play for this organisation.

Regier unfortunately has one of the worst reputations in the league when it comes to dealing with players, hence the only way we'll ever bring a decent free agent here is to grossly overpay them, which is not an option.

Regier unfortunately has one of the worst reputations in the league when it comes to dealing with players...

i'm not trying to be a prick here, but isn't this just a rumor based on messageboard poster speculation? if there are articles or proof in some other form, i'd love to see it. i've never heard anyone directly connected to nhl hockey come out and indicate that DR sucks at dealing with players.

God I hope we win it all this year, just so that we never have to be subjected to threads like this ever again. We spent the money on a 30+(hopefully 40+ next year) goal scorer whose contract is only going to look better and better. So far we signed everyone we wanted to sign(I wasn't sad to see berneie go). Our defense got better. And I'm confident that we'll sign pommers and miller. If you thought we were going to get Pronger, Malkin, Lacaveliet(sp?), and the entire Detroit defense, even though that might make you happy, it was never gonna happen.

I'm done. Now, to go and post over on The Unofficial"why in the hell do you care what the Sabres spend to win" Thread

i'm not trying to be a prick here, but isn't this just a rumor based on messageboard poster speculation? if there are articles or proof in some other form, i'd love to see it. i've never heard anyone directly connected to nhl hockey come out and indicate that DR sucks at dealing with players.

A recent survey put Buffalo near the bottom of the league in places where players want to play. It's not the waterfront or the economy, is it?

I'm with Navy on the point about why the fans care about money so much. I think it's merely the penniless and the powerless wanting to play fantasy-owner. Money does dominate our society, doesn't it?

The "cap experts" do get annoying, I'll tell you that.

And it doesn't hurt that your organisation has a sound reputation.

Most players in this league would kill to play for the Wings, as to where the same players would kill NOT to play for the Sabres, even though we made it to two ECF straight.

Things look grim. Not because we're not spending money, not because we have no leadership on the roster, not because we can't get rid of Max, but because nobody wants to play for this organisation.

Regier unfortunately has one of the worst reputations in the league when it comes to dealing with players, hence the only way we'll ever bring a decent free agent here is to grossly overpay them, which is not an option.

There is a bit of truth in this, although I think it's well exaggerated. While I agree that the Sabres have a crappy reputation around the NHL, which affects our ability to attract free agents, I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. Roy wanted to play here. Gaustad (who likely would've attracted interest as an RFA) wanted to play here. Briere wanted to stay. Peca wanted to return.

I also think the reason we don't bring in top-drawer FAs is that it's an economic decision by the Sabres not to shop at the most expensive store in the mall -- not a choice by the FAs not to come to the Sabres.

A lot will hinge on what happens with Miller and Pominville. Extending both of them at good, long-term deals should go a long way towards dispelling the notion that the Sabres don't want to pay to keep their good players. Failing to do so, OTOH, will be more gasoline on the fire.

Finally, while I don't think things look grim, they certainly don't look as rosy as they did 2 years ago. But I really don't think it's because of the FA situation. It's because (i) in the great summer 2007 debacle, we allowed our leadership to walk out the door and hid under the bed in shock without taking any remedial measures and (ii) we had a lot of breaks go against us -- Teppo missing the year, Connolly getting hurt again, Thibault not delivering, Max, Stafford, Vanek, Tallinder & Lydman falling off the table, etc. The Sabres (hopefully!) have figured it out and are taking steps this offseason to right the ship.

As long as there is a salary cap, from the league or self-imposed, fans are going to care what the team spends ... When we say things like "$7 million is too much for Campbell" it's not because we care about TG's money or begrudge Soupy his cash ... it's because in our opinion if they pay him that much it hurts their chances to build a better team around him. It's fun to debate the best way to build a team ... it might sound like we get worked up and take it too seriously but at the end ofthe day, most of us are just having fun passing the time until they drop the puck.

A recent survey put Buffalo near the bottom of the league in places where players want to play. It's not the waterfront or the economy, is it?

What out of state man in his 20's dreams about living in Buffalo?

It is the downtown.

I'm with Navy on the point about why the fans care about money so much. I think it's merely the penniless and the powerless wanting to play fantasy-owner. Money does dominate our society, doesn't it?

You know that overspending on the wrong player kills a roster. It's organizational hemlock.

But we have posters every now and then like Navy that keep shouting, "Drink the #%^$#!ing hemlock!!"

There is a bit of truth in this, although I think it's well exaggerated. While I agree that the Sabres have a crappy reputation around the NHL, which affects our ability to attract free agents, I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. Roy wanted to play here. Gaustad (who likely would've attracted interest as an RFA) wanted to play here. Briere wanted to stay. Peca wanted to return.

I also think the reason we don't bring in top-drawer FAs is that it's an economic decision by the Sabres not to shop at the most expensive store in the mall -- not a choice by the FAs not to come to the Sabres.

A lot will hinge on what happens with Miller and Pominville. Extending both of them at good, long-term deals should go a long way towards dispelling the notion that the Sabres don't want to pay to keep their good players. Failing to do so, OTOH, will be more gasoline on the fire.

Finally, while I don't think things look grim, they certainly don't look as rosy as they did 2 years ago. But I really don't think it's because of the FA situation. It's because (i) in the great summer 2007 debacle, we allowed our leadership to walk out the door and hid under the bed in shock without taking any remedial measures and (ii) we had a lot of breaks go against us -- Teppo missing the year, Connolly getting hurt again, Thibault not delivering, Max, Stafford, Vanek, Tallinder & Lydman falling off the table, etc. The Sabres (hopefully!) have figured it out and are taking steps this offseason to right the ship.

C'mon, a bad break would be something like Vanek tripping over his stick in the lockerroom and breaking his leg during game one and missing the season. Connolly getting hurt and missing the majority of the season is almost like Death and Taxes

I think people care about what money is spent for 2 reasons.

1. They like playing Armchair GM/Owner. They also want to rationalise the moves that the FO makes and convince themselves that a player isn't worth a salary so it was good Buffalo didn't get them.

2. They are afraid that if the team does spend too much, they could eventually end up sold or bankrupt again and possibly moved because ownership has convinced everyone that money is always going to be tight and they will have to pinch every penny to stay alive/viable

I do agree though that no one should really care as much as some do on the salaries, cause right now, their method isn't really working either.

It is the downtown.

You know that overspending on the wrong player kills a roster. It's organizational hemlock.

But we have posters every now and then like Navy that keep shouting, "Drink the #%^$#!ing hemlock!!"

Buffalo's downtown keeps free agents away? Do you think most professional athletes give a rat's ass about the city they live in? Wasn't J.P. Losman pretty much the only professional athlete in Buffalo to actually live in the city?

The latter point is a classic Straw Man. I don't think anyone proposes "overspending on the wrong player."

As long as there is a salary cap, from the league or self-imposed, fans are going to care what the team spends ... When we say things like "$7 million is too much for Campbell" it's not because we care about TG's money or begrudge Soupy his cash ... it's because in our opinion if they pay him that much it hurts their chances to build a better team around him. It's fun to debate the best way to build a team ... it might sound like we get worked up and take it too seriously but at the end ofthe day, most of us are just having fun passing the time until they drop the puck.

Which becomes an even greater factor, when your team has stated repatedly they will not spend to the cap.

C'mon, a bad break would be something like Vanek tripping over his stick in the lockerroom and breaking his leg during game one and missing the season. Connolly getting hurt and missing the majority of the season is almost like Death and Taxes

I think people care about what money is spent for 2 reasons.

1. They like playing Armchair GM/Owner. They also want to rationalise the moves that the FO makes and convince themselves that a player isn't worth a salary so it was good Buffalo didn't get them.

2. They are afraid that if the team does spend too much, they could eventually end up sold or bankrupt again and possibly moved because ownership has convinced everyone that money is always going to be tight and they will have to pinch every penny to stay alive/viable

I do agree though that no one should really care as much as some do on the salaries, cause right now, their method isn't really working either.

#2 is the hammer they hold over the fans' heads. Sadly, the vast majority of fans buy it. This board can be very maddening. The tone here is as soft as the front office and the team. It's like the Clarence of message boards. I see guys drinking a glass of wine while posting. Where's the South Buffalo board?

It is the downtown.

And yet the ex players are telling players that ask that Buffalo is a great place to live (look at the quote from Lalime about asking Dumont and Briere)

Former players still have homes here or talk about returning when their careers are done. Buffalo doesn't seem like its a great place to live, but the players that come here seem to like it and spread that around, so I'm starting to doubt that its the City that is the reason why players voted as a place they wouldn't want to play

It doesn't matter if you overspend or not, having the wrong players will of course kill rosters. And the reason most players are considered overpayed is because they are the wrong player, if they were the right player they would probably be considered a steal, or priced accordingly.

#2 is the hammer they hold over the fans' heads. Sadly, the vast majority of fans buy it. This board can be very maddening. The tone here is as soft as the front office and the team. It's like the Clarence of message boards. I see guys drinking a glass of wine while posting. Where's the South Buffalo board?

The South Buffalo board is where you see people suggesting we trade Kotalik and Peters for Bouwmeester. They're also the same people paying for Eklund rumors.

So we're just supposed to keep posting, over and over like some of you guys, that they have to spend more? What is the point of that? It's not that I AGREE with the amount they chhose to spend ... but if they say "We are going to spend X" we have thee options ... bang our heads against the wall and scream "SPEND MORE! SPEND MORE!", comment on the best team they can build given those circumstances, or just stop caring. I try to stick to the second option because the third IS NOT an option, and the first is too damn frustrating. I don't think anyone is really suggesting they like the fact that the Sabres won't spend to the cap, but it is the reality of the situation.

Buffalo's downtown keeps free agents away? Do you think most professional athletes give a rat's ass about the city they live in?

You were the one citing that very survey.

What do you think players see when they play in Buffalo?

Where would they rather spend two nights?

In the Four Seasons in Toronto, or the Adams Mark in Downtown Buffalo?

Buffalo doesn't always make the greatest first impression.

Buffalo doesn't seem like its a great place to live, but the players that come here seem to like it and spread that around, so I'm starting to doubt that its the City that is the reason why players voted as a place they wouldn't want to play

But look at the first part of what Lalime said. He didn't think much of the area and had to be convinced otherwise. Then there were Ray Emery's comments a year or two ago. The negativity about the area is definitely out there. I'm guessing that older guys like Lalime are going to get past that much quicker than the young players.

It's fun to debate the best way to build a team ... it might sound like we get worked up and take it too seriously but at the end ofthe day, most of us are just having fun passing the time until they drop the puck.

precisely.

It is the downtown.

it is a relatively small and sleepy town, to be sure - but the reported aversion to coming here, if in fact more true than not, would not be so easily explained - there'd be a number of factors contributing to the problem (our demographics and social scene(s) among them).

The tone here is as soft as the front office and the team. It's like the Clarence of message boards. I see guys drinking a glass of wine while posting. Where's the South Buffalo board?

woah. guess i'll hold off on posting an open invitation to my beaujolais nouveau party, out at my family's place on elm street in the center. i'm hoping larry brings his crab cakes again - they were excellent last year.

You were the one citing that very survey.

What do you think players see when they play in Buffalo?

Where would they rather spend two nights?

In the Four Seasons in Toronto, or the Adams Mark in Downtown Buffalo?

Buffalo doesn't always make the greatest first impression.

I believe the survey was about which organization players most want to play in. Not the city itself. I could be wrong.

It's all about the wallet though. You gonna take less money to play in Sunrise, to be close to South Beach?

Archived