The Official ?why in the hell do you care what the Sabres spend to win? Thread

navybillsfan

Do they ever? I can't recall a recent contract, other than Vanek, that's been more than 3 years. Perhaps the FO wants more out of their prospects, who are inexpensive, than they do out of their vets, who are not as inexpensive. When's the last time the FO signed a real player for long term?

I'm pretty sure Roy, Hecht and Gaustad all recently signed for at least 4 years.

Since there is a salary cap it does matter how the team is spending their money, but as people have already posted, sometimes overpaying to the market is necessary to get the right personel. That said, I wouldn't want to see the sabres max out to the cap before the season even started because it would give limit what they could do at the trade deadline or during the season.

Since there is a salary cap it does matter how the team is spending their money, but as people have already posted, sometimes overpaying to the market is necessary to get the right personel. That said, I wouldn't want to see the sabres max out to the cap before the season even started because it would give limit what they could do at the trade deadline or during the season.

OMG that was actually nice of you :thumbsup: Not that you need to be "nice" here.

Good point, who wants to be handcuffed come jan 1. Let's see what doesn't work and then fix it. FIX IT being the operative words.

You'll have to find me that post because the people on this board seem split between the Sabres stupidly not giving him the 25-for-5 or simply deciding to pass on making an effort to keep him. They did not even make him an offer after the season ended, unlike Drury ... I'm sure some people said that about HIM when he chose to sign with the Rangers ... but for Briere I don't remember that much hate ... maybe they said he was not worth it, but they didn't call him greedy ... there is a difference.

As for Campbell, he wanted a long-term deal at the top of his market value ... and then that value went even higher than he imagined. He wanted his cake and to eat it too from the Sabres, but he could not have envisioned the deal he ended up with. I still believe there were external pressures applied to him, be it by family, a sense of obligation to the NHLPA or just his agent, because he did not enjoy that process at all. I don't think he is a greedy guy, he just went past the point of no return in negotiations and could not go back without looking like he backed down. And given the Sabres situation, he probably figured they would blink first after what happened last summer. Unless he got injured, he was in a no-lose situation really. The Sabres never blinked, but he still got what he wanted ... most of it anyway, if we assume he wanted to stay.

Well, the word was they offered Briere what he asked for the year before about 2 days before the start of FA, after he had already said he was testing the market. The guy gets booed when he comes back to Buffalo, I don't remember people talking about booing Drury everytime he touches the puck at HSBC, even though he deserves it a little more cause he did decide to go somewhere else.

As for Campbell. Before being traded they had the offer on the table for something between $4-6 mil for 3 years (I can't remember the exact figure) but he had said when alot were saying that if he really wanted to stay here he should just accept the deal but he is greedy and wants a higher salary, that the money was not the issue, he wanted something around 6 years, and the Sabres wouldn't do more then 3

Thats fine, if you are actually going to do something come the trade deadline. They had cap room last year to make a move and try to make a push for the playoffs, what did they do? They became sellers and gave up on the season.

Its great to have the flexibility at the deadline, but if you built your team right in the offseason, then you don't need to be wheeling and dealing at the deadline.

Well, the word was they offered Briere what he asked for the year before about 2 days before the start of FA, after he had already said he was testing the market. The guy gets booed when he comes back to Buffalo, I don't remember people talking about booing Drury everytime he touches the puck at HSBC, even though he deserves it a little more cause he did decide to go somewhere else.

As for Campbell. Before being traded they had the offer on the table for something between $4-6 mil for 3 years (I can't remember the exact figure) but he had said when alot were saying that if he really wanted to stay here he should just accept the deal but he is greedy and wants a higher salary, that the money was not the issue, he wanted something around 6 years, and the Sabres wouldn't do more then 3

I agree, I don't get the booing of Briere ... that was just people venting, the guy didn't do anything ... I am just saying I don't remember any thoughtful/semi-intelligent posters on this board calling him greedy, even though most say he was not worth the money.

that's exactly how I remember it happening with Campbell too ... but I am saying that in most cases guys will take a bit less for the long-term deal. I have no idea if the Sabres even offered that ... but for whatever reason, he/his agent seemed to want both, the long-term deal and the same money he would get if he hit the market. So the Sabres said we'll give you the money, not the term. They probably should have done the opposite ... but wow would the defense look soft right now if they had Campbell for 6 years at $5.75 million instead of Rivet ...

Where the front office errored in Drury, Briere, Campell, etc, is that they waited to long to start serious negotiations or waited to long to make a serious offer. By that time the players where already mentally preparing to leave. The longer you wait to negotiate the less leverage you lose, you also see the players value skyrocket if they continue to play well and show they are a consistant contributer.

Archived