Craig Rivet is a Sabre

outlaw16511

2) Max and Connolly are still on the roster. And I won't rest my displeasure with this offseason until one or both of them is gone!

I'll go against the grain here and say I hope both are on the team next year. Sure they have their flaws, but I like them better than the alternatives.

Ok...Campbell @ $5 million or Rivet @ $3.5 million and a 2nd round pick?

That is pretty much what the Campbell trade amounted to when all said and done.

And Tyler Ennis, who may or may not turn into anything at all, but should be a part of that equation as well.

I see that Matt Carle was part of SJ's deal with Tampa for Boyle and Lukowich. Carle is a guy I was hoping we could land in the Campbell trade - a young, puck-moving defenseman with good PP skills, and a $3.4M cap hit through the end of 11-12.

Geez go away from the computer for a couple hours and all hell breaks loose ...

I like Rivet ... he is more physical than any defenseman on the current roster and still chips in some offensively ... still would love to see them get Jason Smith.

I don't get some of the complaints on this thread, though. I have read that the picks they gave up were too much, that he's too old and not durable, and that he's too expensive ...

Well, he was traded a year and a half ago and San Jose gave up their first-round pick and Gorges for him ... Gorges is nothing special but he played 62 games and every Montreal playoff game ... he's not nothing. Two second rounders is not bad. Basically they dealt Bernier and a second round pick for Rivet and a third rounder.

Besides, I thought everyone was sick of waiting for the future and wanted help NOW!?!? All of a sudden a second round pick in 2010 is untouchable? And so what if he is 33 ... that's not even that old for a defenseman anymore ... he's played at least 71 games every season since 2001 ... he's plenty durable. And the problem last season was they were too inexperienced, right?

The money is not an issue. They have the room this season, even under their own budget, and next season when bigger deals for Pommer and Miller kick in, Max and Connolly are off the books and Rivet fits in.

So how is this bad? Not saying it is the fix-all, but was there any one move out there that would satisfy everyone? They are a better team than they were when I woke up this morning ... let's see if they do anything else. Like I said, I still want Smith.

And Tyler Ennis, who may or may not turn into anything at all, but should be a part of that equation as well.

I'll call it Campbell and a 4th rounder for Rivet and Ennis then.

You have to make up the difference between our 2009 2nd pick and the 3rd pick of the Canucks if you want to call Ennis part of the deal. I was just trying to zero out the picks involved and call it a 2nd.

No big deal. Now if we can dump Tallinder and a pick for another Rivet type...then there is progress.

I see that Matt Carle was part of SJ's deal with Tampa for Boyle and Lukowich. Carle is a guy I was hoping we could land in the Campbell trade - a young, puck-moving defenseman with good PP skills, and a $3.4M cap hit through the end of 11-12.

Carle was way overpaid in my opinion. The contract was a mistake.

San Jose did well to dump it.

Rivet is actually a good deal. Can play all units and any pairing. Good skater.

Decent shot.

This one I didn't see coming, but I think he is a right handed shot too, and is much more suited to

play in the East than West. If you think of it as a dump of Kalinen for Rivet we have improved.

I think they still add a D-man on a 1 year.

Geez go away from the computer for a couple hours and all hell breaks loose ...

I like Rivet ... he is more physical than any defenseman on the current roster and still chips in some offensively ... still would love to see them get Jason Smith.

I don't get some of the complaints on this thread, though. I have read that the picks they gave up were too much, that he's too old and not durable, and that he's too expensive ...

Well, he was traded a year and a half ago and San Jose gave up their first-round pick and Gorges for him ... Gorges is nothing special but he played 62 games and every Montreal playoff game ... he's not nothing. Two second rounders is not bad. Basically they dealt Bernier and a second round pick for Rivet and a third rounder.

Besides, I thought everyone was sick of waiting for the future and wanted help NOW!?!? All of a sudden a second round pick in 2010 is untouchable? And so what if he is 33 ... that's not even that old for a defenseman anymore ... he's played at least 71 games every season since 2001 ... he's plenty durable. And the problem last season was they were too inexperienced, right?

The money is not an issue. They have the room this season, even under their own budget, and next season when bigger deals for Pommer and Miller kick in, Max and Connolly are off the books and Rivet fits in.

So how is this bad? Not saying it is the fix-all, but was there any one move out there that would satisfy everyone? They are a better team than they were when I woke up this morning ... let's see if they do anything else. Like I said, I still want Smith.

:thumbsup:

Decent shot.

This one I didn't see coming, but I think he is a right handed shot too, and is much more suited to

play in the East than West. If you think of it as a dump of Kalinen for Rivet we have improved.

Would you like to see Teppo back?

Decent shot.

Yeah that is a little high for him, considering he only has 2 full seasons under his belt, but I wouldn't call it way overpaid in light of how screwed up the market is now. I still like his PP skills and and his puck-moving skills, and he seems to be a pretty good skater and he is likely to improve.

Either way we'll get to see him a few times this year.

Yeah that is a little high for him, considering he only has 2 full seasons under his belt, but I wouldn't call it way overpaid in light of how screwed up the market is now. I still like his PP skills and and his puck-moving skills, and he seems to be a pretty good skater and he is likely to improve.

Either way we'll get to see him a few times this year.

He had a nice year when he came in the league, but I really think it was more of a fluke.

He would be a nice 6 or 7 for a little less than 2 million.

I'll call it Campbell and a 4th rounder for Rivet and Ennis then.

You have to make up the difference between our 2009 2nd pick and the 3rd pick of the Canucks if you want to call Ennis part of the deal. I was just trying to zero out the picks involved and call it a 2nd.

No big deal. Now if we can dump Tallinder and a pick for another Rivet type...then there is progress.

We might as well list out the whole thing:

We give up:

Cambpell

7th rounder (Drew Daniels)

2nd rounder

We get:

Rivet

1st rounder (Ennis)

3rd rounder

There was one more 2nd round pick, but we got it from Vancouver and immediately turned it around to San Jose. So in exchange for the downgrade of Campbell to Rivet (who have for 3 years and may fit that physical role we need far more than Campbell ever could), we turned a 2nd and 7th round pick into a 1st and 3rd.

We might as well list out the whole thing:

We give up:

A six week contract with Cambpell

7th rounder (Drew Daniels)

2nd rounder

We get:

Rivet

1st rounder (Ennis)

3rd rounder

There was one more 2nd round pick, but we got it from Vancouver and immediately turned it around to San Jose. So in exchange for the downgrade of Campbell to Rivet (who have for 3 years and may fit that physical role we need far more than Campbell ever could), we turned a 2nd and 7th round pick into a 1st and 3rd.

He dropped the gloves 6 times last year. 4 out of 6 are rated as wins for him on hockeyfights.com and the other two are draws.

Sounds good to me! :wub:

Good work Darcy, you've redeemed yourself a bit. Now get me another D man and a FO winning center and I'll forgive you for everything.

Would you like to see Teppo back?

i would. on TV they said they interviewed an opposing coach and he said that Teppo slowed everything down. Always made the right decision, was a calming force.

We need that, imo

Not with Rivet on the roster he changes the mix.

They need a PK guy for down low. Weber's not quite ready. Smith would make a ton of sense now.

I'd be really, really surprised if Smith signs a 1-year deal anywhere though (referring to your wish for a defenseman on a 1-year deal). At his age, he's looking for his last multiyear contract.

i would. on TV they said they interviewed an opposing coach and he said that Teppo slowed everything down. Always made the right decision, was a calming force.

We need that, imo

I want him back, too. I base all this on the last game he played, so I'm not going on a lot of information. But in that game he looked quick and fast and seemed to fit right in. A very smart player.

I don't think they are in the mix for Smith. And, I haven't seen much of Rivet to have too much of an opinion on him yet. I just hope that he fits the hole we needed to plug. I also don't think there are many teams that want Max unless it's for free. I'll wait and see how he plays before I form an opinion. But, I think he was attractive from the point of view that he is signed to a contract until 2011. From Darcy'sother comments, I hope they are going to start focusing attention on extending Miller andgetting the other RFA's on the dotted line.

Excellent move getting Rivet. I still see them adding another veteran d-man and a defensive forward only because there isn't a number two center available that would fit the budget.

:thumbsup: for the post, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for the chicks.

Overall, a good move. I was hoping to see how Bernier would turn out, but I also wasn't convinced that he would ever be great and definitely not in the short run. I'll take a good physical force on the blue line locked up for three years at a reasonable hit. I was losing my patience with the FO, but I've reset a bit. I still hope for some more moves outside the current roster, but this is a good start. He may not be perfect, but at least this shows that DR is not totally clueless. This is, at the very least, the type of guy that most of us wanted, if not the exact player.

If you have spent any time on twobillsdrive, you clearly know the answer to this question.

If you have spent any time on this board you would know what an a$$ that comment makes you look like.

You take pretty much the same roster as last season, remove Campbell and and Rivet and suddenly the Sabres are a playoff team? I doubt it. They move one of the 10 quality forwards they have on the roster. One of the few with any size and toughness and I am supposed to be happy. There is a ton of dead weight on the forward ranks. Rivet brings some size and toughness. Is there a team rule where you can't have more than two on the roster at one time. They could have made the Rivet trade and kept Bernier.

Maybe the Sabres will sign Jason Smith. They didn't have to deal what little size and toughness they have upfront to do either moves.

Archived