Craig Rivet is a Sabre

outlaw16511

Which is exactly the reason why I don't believe any of this "there is no interest in Max" BS.

IMO i think there is a demand for Max, however, teams are in a position right now that they have give low-ball offers and hope we accept, and a team can turn it into a star, like us hitting gold in the Briere trade, or Calgary getting Kipper for a 4th rounder, and that type of thing. I don't think anyone is desperate to make the jump, but i'm sure Darcy is hearing alot of offers, they are just bad offers. One thing is for sure, if Darcy makes a trade, rarely do we get the bad end of it. He won't give up Max, a point/game player away for cheap.

He had a bad year, our entire team did.

In my mind, the Sabres still need to add one more defenseman and a second line center (I'm thinking either Demitra or Morrison). If those two happen, I will call this offseason a success. Just my take.

Demitra close to Vancouver.

Morrison signed with the Ducks.

But i agree. We need another d-men, although i do think it will be Numminen. I'm still praying for Bouwmeester though. lol

And we need another forward, i hoped to be a gritty forward, like a Cooke or Peca, but both are goners now. Idk, i think we missed the boat. We have nobody in AHL who can provide that type of game if we are deemed too soft again, Kaleta is gonna get killed out there by himself.

Wait ... so does that mean you think he is going to be productive this season, even on the Sabres?

No. I'm saying I don't believe DR when he implies that there is no interest in Max. He is one year removed from two terrific seasons and I don't think a 1 year 3.5 mil contract is going to be a deterrent to a team trading for him. If a team acquires him and he goes back to Max from 05-06 and 06-07 GREAT for them. If not, it is not like he has a 6 year contract that they will be stuck with.

I'd personally keep lowering the bar in terms of what I expect in return from a trade and if there are no takers by the start of training camp, I waive him. His "one man show" act has grown tired here in Buffalo and with Lindy, but there are plenty of team desparate for offense who would take a chance on Max.

What he said.

(Actually, Rivet has a much better skating and offensive game than McKee, and probably not quite as much blood and guts -- I can't think of anyone on the Sabres in quite some time that had as much as McKee -- but Rivet has more blood and guts than anyone else on the Sabres right now. But your point is still rock-solid).

I love McKee and I know he's all heart but the one thing everyone says about Craig Rivet is that he cares about nothing other than his team mates and winning.

He's all blood and guts, imo.

Really, with the Rivet deal, we have finally replaced what we lost when Jay McKee went to St Louis. They made the right move in not bringing him back, but they never really filled the gap he left.

I've heard the comparison more than once.

Rivet is going to give a solid, unspectacular 20 minutes most nights.

He is more multidimensional than McKee - but a heart and soul guy.

I've heard the comparison more than once.

Rivet is going to give a solid, unspectacular 20 minutes most nights.

He is more multidimensional than McKee - but a heart and soul guy.

Obviously they're going to have their differences, but he's much closer to fitting that role than anyone else on the roster. Weber may be that guy eventually, but he's not there yet.

Maybe I have just been working way too much lately...but Has Craig Rivet done any interviews with buffalo media since he was traded to the Sabres?? If so any audio on it? Thanks in advance if you can help...

I don't watch local news too much(I doubt they had him on since they barely have time to give out scores), but I haven't seen any Rivet interviews in the Buffalo News nor do I believe that WGR has had him on.

I don't watch local news too much(I doubt they had him on since they barely have time to give out scores), but I haven't seen any Rivet interviews in the Buffalo News nor do I believe that WGR has had him on.

Thanks, tha just confirms what I thought to be true. I wonder what is taking so long??? There is definetly a reason. maybe something to the effect of a summer vacation or maybe he is pissed to have to come to Buffalo..... I dont know his thought process all i know is.. I just want an interview!!!

Thanks, tha just confirms what I thought to be true. I wonder what is taking so long??? There is definetly a reason. maybe something to the effect of a summer vacation or maybe he is pissed to have to come to Buffalo..... I dont know his thought process all i know is.. I just want an interview!!!

He's got about a month and a half left of time off. Enjoy it.

Yeah I agree with you I am wondering if he has made the trip to Buffalo yet. He's from Ontario but maybe he spends his offseasons in San Jose. I'm curious to hear his comments. It's funny because WGR can't get him on, but they had Lalime on literally within minutes of his signing.

They should get Bernier on to see why he wore out his welcome so quickly :thumbsup:

Yeah I agree with you I am wondering if he has made the trip to Buffalo yet. He's from Ontario but maybe he spends his offseasons in San Jose. I'm curious to hear his comments. It's funny because WGR can't get him on, but they had Lalime on literally within minutes of his signing.

They should get Bernier on to see why he wore out his welcome so quickly :thumbsup:

Maybe he didn't wear out his welcome and was dealt only because he was able to bring them the best return

Maybe he didn't wear out his welcome and was dealt only because he was able to bring them the best return

Judging by the news coming down tonight about the offer sheet, it's really a moot point. I think he would have received an offer sheet from some team, but probably not St. Louis. This is a revenge offer and nothing more. Either way, Bernier wins and the Sabres win the trade. Just think, if Bernier was still here, we'd all be livid about 1) having another RFA targeted with an offer sheet; and 2) paying him $2.5 million!

Maybe I have just been working way too much lately...but Has Craig Rivet done any interviews with buffalo media since he was traded to the Sabres?? If so any audio on it? Thanks in advance if you can help...

Hard to do interviews when hooked up to an IV as a result of having slit your cartaroid with a skate upon hearing you were traded to the 2nd most undesirable city in the NHL.

Once he comes out of his coma, he'll be introduced to he press and declare himself ready to go; the 80 stitches notwitstanding.

GO SABRES!!!

• 2 weeks later...
...but Has Craig Rivet done any interviews with buffalo media since he was traded to the Sabres?
Yeah I agree with you I am wondering if he has made the trip to Buffalo yet.

just getting back from vacation, but one of the few hockey-related thoughts that i had the last 10 days centered on this very issue. it's fairly customary to have new guys on with the team's designated local media outlet once they're acquired - the fact that he hasn't yet been on gr is curious - perhaps not a cause for concern as yet ... but still ... :unsure:

just getting back from vacation, but one of the few hockey-related thoughts that i had the last 10 days centered on this very issue. it's fairly customary to have new guys on with the team's designated local media outlet once they're acquired - the fact that he hasn't yet been on gr is curious - perhaps not a cause for concern as yet ... but still ... :unsure:

I was a bit concerned about this as well, but then I thought about it ... it's been three weeks since the deal ... Bucky has written at least 3 Sabres columns since the trade, including one that was borderline positive on Saturday ... and another that talked about how difficult it was for them to "recruit" ... if there were ANY rumblings out there that Rivet was pissed, something tells me Bucky would have been ALL OVER them ... I mean, he may have a bone to pick right now and he has gone overboard over the last year banging his drum about the screwups, but he IS very well-connected ... I can't imagine him not knowing or ignoring it if Rivet was truly unhappy to be coming to Buffalo.

I was a bit concerned about this as well, but then I thought about it ... it's been three weeks since the deal ... Bucky has written at least 3 Sabres columns since the trade, including one that was borderline positive on Saturday ... and another that talked about how difficult it was for them to "recruit" ... if there were ANY rumblings out there that Rivet was pissed, something tells me Bucky would have been ALL OVER them ... I mean, he may have a bone to pick right now and he has gone overboard over the last year banging his drum about the screwups, but he IS very well-connected ... I can't imagine him not knowing or ignoring it if Rivet was truly unhappy to be coming to Buffalo.

I agree, I think we would have heard something out of SJ or somewhere about him being unhappy with the deal. He's an old school guy coming to a town that loves hockey. That has to be something positive for him. And I really don't think the Sabres have as bad a reputation as everyone likes to make it our to be. All players know that they're gonna be going for that next big payday. No matter what team it is. They also know the Sabres can't provide that payday, but if they can get the money they're looking for at Buffalo I'd have to think it's a pretty disirable place ot play.

That said, I honestly don't even know if Rivet is in the country. He could be in Europe on Vacation or something and unavailable for comment. Who knows? I would like an interview with him too, but we'll see, someone send WGR an email asking why they haven't had him on yet.

That said, I honestly don't even know if Rivet is in the country. He could be in Europe on Vacation or something and unavailable for comment.

that's where i put my money as well -- out of the country, or up on some tiny lake in ontario's cabin country, just decimating the local supply of canadian lager.

that's where i put my money as well -- out of the country, or up on some tiny lake in ontario's cabin country, just decimating the local supply of canadian lager.

He's probably at work at the Labatt's secret brewery, bottling all the beer.

He's probably at work at the Labatt's secret brewery, bottling all the beer.

He's a taste tester who, while drinking all day, decides to go on a Sabres message board as the brain, to test the will of Sabre fans around the world.

Archived