Red Wings vs. Penguins!

bob_sauve28

I really thought Pittsburgh would struggle early in this series, but I didn't think they would look as bad as they did tonight.

You could say the same thing about Dallas, and the Stars ended up making a series out of it. Don't write the Pens off yet... but yeah, Detroit looked pretty good.

You could say the same thing about Dallas, and the Stars ended up making a series out of it. Don't write the Pens off yet... but yeah, Detroit looked pretty good.

You can't ever, ever, write anybody off in a series, esp. one that is still on serve, but Pittsburgh had relatively easy entries in all three of their series so far which took a ton of pressure off of(what I think) is their mediocre defense. and Detroit's transition game is also a handful for the Pitt defense.

Babcock must be licking his chops with the last line change when he sees Scuderi and Gill paired.

You can't ever, ever, write anybody off in a series, esp. one that is still on serve, but Pittsburgh had relatively easy entries in all three of their series so far which took a ton of pressure off of(what I think) is their mediocre defense. and Detroit's transition game is also a handful for the Pitt defense.

Babcock must be licking his chops with the last line change when he sees Scuderi and Gill paired.

Gill was looking manhandled, (ex. 2nd goal), for being 6'7" looked really soft.

I am interested in how the coaching plays out. Babcock to me is pretty aggressive and the players are smart. Pitt again; a bunch of young guys; needs to turn this around fast to save face without whining about it.

Night and Day between the Philly and Detroit defense. I really thought Pittsburgh would struggle early in this series, but I didn't think they would look as bad as they did tonight.

Bingo! Boy, Detriot's defense is just so solid. Every player back there is so talented. They go back, get the puck and boom, its out of the zone in no time. Pittsburg is a good fore checking team and they got nothing on Detriot.

Makes me think that the biggest lose for the Sabres this year wasn't Drury or Briere but Teppo.

I like that Orpik for Pittsburgh.

My prediction was a Detroit sweep. Nothing I saw last night changes my mind. They put five goals past MAF and were by far the much better team. Pittsburgh has enjoyed the homecooking to get an early series leads. We don't get to watch enough of the Red Wings, but they are definitely the prototypical franchise. Each year they field arguably the best line up and each year they contend. They are much more physical than Pitt and just think, they don't have Franzen in the lineup still. The East really needs to look hard at how the West plays hockey and build their rosters to compete or this trend of the West dominating the East in the SCF will persist for years to come.

Gill was looking manhandled, (ex. 2nd goal), for being 6'7" looked really soft.

I am interested in how the coaching plays out. Babcock to me is pretty aggressive and the players are smart. Pitt again; a bunch of young guys; needs to turn this around fast to save face without whining about it.

New uniform, same Gill. :lol:

(Although he actually had a decent year against Buffalo)

My prediction was a Detroit sweep. Nothing I saw last night changes my mind. They put five goals past MAF and were by far the much better team. Pittsburgh has enjoyed the homecooking to get an early series leads. We don't get to watch enough of the Red Wings, but they are definitely the prototypical franchise. Each year they field arguably the best line up and each year they contend. They are much more physical than Pitt and just think, they don't have Franzen in the lineup still. The East really needs to look hard at how the West plays hockey and build their rosters to compete or this trend of the West dominating the East in the SCF will persist for years to come.

Really? I just think they are better handling the puck and escape getting hit themselves while the Pittsburgh players fumble with the puck an extra half second setting themselves up to be hit. Like with Cronwall last night, he was a ll lined up to be clobbered but just skated away from the hit because he had his head up and was in control of the puck.

The East really needs to look hard at how the West plays hockey and build their rosters to compete or this trend of the West dominating the East in the SCF will persist for years to come.

Do you really think teams in the East look at their rosters and say, "Oh, we're in the East, therefore we are going to ignore everyone in the West and how they play"? I don't think so. There are some tendencies each way, but I just don't think it's as distinct as a lot of people say.

Like with Cronwall last night, he was all lined up to be clobbered but just skated away from the hit because he had his head up and was in control of the puck.

Yeah... and look at the hits he was putting on the Pens. He's starting to remind me of Vladimir Konstantinov (won the Cup with the Wings in 97 but was severely injured in a limo wreck afterward). He was really good at lining up open-ice hits too.

I just noticed this thread...and the fact that the finals have started. Oh well... :)

It's amazing isn't. I was really into the playoffs this year and just lost interest with the huge break. Now, I might not look in untill Pittsburgh proves they can compete. As you said, Oh well....

Make that six periods without a goal and counting.

Game 3 will be interesting. Mellon will be rocking. If Detroit comes out and gets an early goal, everyone will be holding their breath there with that series sinking feeling creeping in.

Babcock said that he was tired of matching lines (my paraphrase) and couldn't wait to unleash the hounds in Mellon. Interesting perspective or propaganda from a coach don't yah think?

Detroit has made Malkin invisible. He had no SOG in Game 2 and only one SOG in Game 1... With the game shifting to Pitt, it will be interesting to see how this frees up Malkin, and Crosby for that matter, when Detroit can't match lines.

wjag, it will be interesting to see what happens, but i suspect there's more to this series than just matching lines. You can't blame 2 shutouts on matching lines. Pittsburgh is simply being outclassed. They maybe will get the chance to score at home, but they're going to have to do something seriously different to actually win a game.

Make that six periods without a goal and counting.

Game 3 will be interesting. Mellon will be rocking. If Detroit comes out and gets an early goal, everyone will be holding their breath there with that series sinking feeling creeping in.

Babcock said that he was tired of matching lines (my paraphrase) and couldn't wait to unleash the hounds in Mellon. Interesting perspective or propaganda from a coach don't yah think?

Detroit has made Malkin invisible. He had no SOG in Game 2 and only one SOG in Game 1... With the game shifting to Pitt, it will be interesting to see how this frees up Malkin, and Crosby for that matter, when Detroit can't match lines.

Even given a last line change, Pittsburgh's D pairings don't seem to have much of an answer for Detroit's speed.

If they are going to try and hide Letang, how are they going to hide Scuderi? (that's why I never liked the Hossa deal)

While the Pens forwards could carry play against Philly and Ottawa -their forwards haven't been used to digging out pucks in the neutral zone for some time, and when they do, there is nowhere to go.

Therrien's big move this playoff was to trap. But it is hard to do that without a lead. He's been totally out-coached so far.

Maybe he'll try a left wing lock.

If you don't watch Detroit regularly, the one thing that you may not know is what a total player Datsyuk is. He has the Briere flare for stickhandling and the pretty goal, is a helluva backchecker with a lot of steals, and a nasty hitter to boot. And... the work ethic is there; he's tenacious, shift in, shift out. When Zetterberg was taken down awkwardly in the corner by Malone, who was the first man in to rough up Malone? Datsyuk.

Starting out, Afenigenov had all the same basic skills I think, but he never even attempted to fill all those roles. *If* Afenigenov is with the team in the fall, I think he would be best suited to the 4th line... it's the best shot at trying to rehab him into a complete player.

Archived