bob_sauve28

Picture this:

Game 4, Detroit up 3-0 in the series.

1 minute to play in the game

Red wings up 5-0 in the game

The Red Wings, feeling sorry for the Pens

allow Staal Malkin Sid and Hossa breakaways

and if they all score, Fleury steps up to tie it

and proceeds to trip over his stick and fall into the boards.

Detroit wins the cup.

:lol: That or the Redwings may take a few shots at Ozzie during the game just to give him a little work.

I just loved the way he completely stole the starter job from Dom, way to come out focused.

Ok, so his D is doing a top job in front of him, but still - What he's doing isn't easy.

Should we cross Orpik off the Sabres wish list? :unsure:

I'd just like to win an eastern conference championship first. Beating the West might require several years of changes.

Bernier was a good start, but we're going to need more guys like him and Weber to make this team competitive in the East, much less the West. Along with a different coaching philosophy that involves playing a Detroit style. Exciting, hard hitting, grind it out with a little bit of flare thrown in for good measure. The Wings are the total package.

I'd just like to win an eastern conference championship first. Beating the West might require several years of changes.

Bernier was a good start, but we're going to need more guys like him and Weber to make this team competitive in the East, much less the West. Along with a different coaching philosophy that involves playing a Detroit style. Exciting, hard hitting, grind it out with a little bit of flare thrown in for good measure. The Wings are the total package.

I agree with the Bernier/Weber direction and attitude, also the ideal complete Datsyuk type players. This past season I found myself disagreeing with the Sabres philosophy of "talented playmaker" style guys. Much like every year the Stanley Cup winner is patterned as the prototype team du jour. Whether the horses are Penner/Getzlaf/Kunitz or Franzen/Holmstrom/Samuellson; we would answer with Goose/Bernier/Mair? or Paille? :unsure:

Basically; we had too many underacheivers that didnt step up. It would help to have abit more mature experience on the ice for us to even sniff Detroit; we would have been smoked like Pittsburgh.

Man I'm liking this Talbot fella more and more. Anyone hear some of his quotes from yesterday?.....http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip55640#clip55623

To paraphrase:

"They're in the way of what we want so we have to hate them for that."

"Last game was chippy and dirty, and hopefully the next one will be too."

"They're easy to hate".

I love it. The Sabres need someone to tell it like it is. Even old man Roberts would help our team. We need some guys that are all guts--something that is extremely lacking from the Sabres.

We'll see how their grit guys make things happen tonight. Should be interesting if they can play within control and not spend the night in the penalty box.

Detroit got sloppy and turned it over. Crosby made 'em pay.. The shutout streak ends at 154 minutes.

Team that scores first in the last 13 playoff games has won.

The hype of this series has quickly given way, IMHO, to: Will the penguins start next season not having scored in 240 minutes?

Nope.

And this is really why I'd like to see the Penguins win this one tonight. Let's make it interesting. Please. Not saying there should be a conspiracy by the refs, but the NHL needs this series to go more than 4 boring/dominating wins by the Wings.

After watching tonight's game, I'm convinced. I want Brooks Orpik playing for the Sabres next year. He is exactly the type of defenseman the Sabres are desperately lacking, and who wouldn't want to come back home and play hockey for his hometown team? He was an absolute beast tonight taking people out left and right. He's also leading the playoffs in blocked shots much like a guy who used to play for the Sabres did in Jay McKee. I want Orpik in Buffalo on July 1st.

How do you do it? Well, it starts with Darcy having a great draft in trading Max and Tallinder and acquiring some extra picks and acquiring a solid center, like Patrick Marleau or Olli Jokinen. Then, re-signing the three RFAs prior to July 1st. Then, signing Liles and Orpik on July 1st and extending Pominville and Miller. Darcy does these things, the Sabres immediately become a Cup Contender next year. It seems like too many moves for the Sabres to do, but I think they are going to take some serious action this offseason. I would love for Orpik to be one of the guys that Darcy brings in, and I'd be more than happy to take him over Tallinder and play him as our top defensive pairing with Lydman.

After watching tonight's game, I'm convinced. I want Brooks Orpik playing for the Sabres next year. He is exactly the type of defenseman the Sabres are desperately lacking, and who wouldn't want to come back home and play hockey for his hometown team? He was an absolute beast tonight taking people out left and right. He's also leading the playoffs in blocked shots much like a guy who used to play for the Sabres did in Jay McKee. I want Orpik in Buffalo on July 1st.

How do you do it? Well, it starts with Darcy having a great draft in trading Max and Tallinder and acquiring some extra picks and acquiring a solid center, like Patrick Marleau or Olli Jokinen. Then, re-signing the three RFAs prior to July 1st. Then, signing Liles and Orpik on July 1st and extending Pominville and Miller. Darcy does these things, the Sabres immediately become a Cup Contender next year. It seems like too many moves for the Sabres to do, but I think they are going to take some serious action this offseason. I would love for Orpik to be one of the guys that Darcy brings in, and I'd be more than happy to take him over Tallinder and play him as our top defensive pairing with Lydman.

4 hits in 10 seconds by Orpik. Ummm yeah i'll have one of those please. In regard to his hits he makes ALL of our D-men look like children playing a mans game.

Per TSN ... Darryl Sydor will be dressing in place of Letang for Game 3. For Pittsburgh. On Defense. (Sydor is still in the league! Not too many 1990 draft guys still kicking around).

Actually a surprising number of that class are still in the league.

Nolan, Broduer, May, Tchukuk(or however the heck you spell it), Jagr, Zubov.

This all sounds great, but then you get to the fact that Quinn is likely running the team and giving Darcy the orders from headquarters (B. Thomas Golisano). And it would also take FORESIGHT, something that our team has no concept of (although maybe they have learned their lesson).

Also keep in mind that McKee was given a 4-year deal worth $16 million. That was in 2006. Orpik is comparable if not better than McKee, and the market has actually gone up. People (myself included) were complaining about giving Campbell $5 million per year...do we really want Orpik for close to that amount? Let's not get carried away with him...he'd help, but he's not Scott Stevens or some force back there.

Actually a surprising number of that class are still in the league.

Nolan, Broduer, May, Tchukuk(or however the heck you spell it), Jagr, Zubov.

Good point. With exception of Brad May, most of those guys lack the "career journeyman" status of Sydor!

This all sounds great, but then you get to the fact that Quinn is likely running the team and giving Darcy the orders from headquarters (B. Thomas Golisano). And it would also take FORESIGHT, something that our team has no concept of (although maybe they have learned their lesson).

Also keep in mind that McKee was given a 4-year deal worth $16 million. That was in 2006. Orpik is comparable if not better than McKee, and the market has actually gone up. People (myself included) were complaining about giving Campbell $5 million per year...do we really want Orpik for close to that amount? Let's not get carried away with him...he'd help, but he's not Scott Stevens or some force back there.

Well, there are a couple of things at play. First, the Sabres have some negotiating leverage in that Orpik's brother is in the system and they have said they would love to play together. Second, Orpik is from Buffalo and his family and friends are still there, so he might actually want to play in Buffalo. Either way, the Sabres would have to give him his market value or close to it, which is about $3-4.5 million/year.

It can be done if you trade one of Tallinder or Lydman, don't re-sign Kalinin and Teppo. Doing that opens up about $6.5 million/year on the blueline. Assume Sekera plays in the NHL full time next year, and you're looking at about $6 million or so for two-three guys on the blueline. If you re-sign Pratt at veteran minimum, keep Paetsch, allow Weber to play full time (or not) you could easily afford to sign both Orpik and Liles. Also, considering the salary cap will most likely go up to about $56 million, you can still bring in one more forward and re-sign all the RFAs and still not hit the salary cap. With the Sabres model, doing the above, they could still be about $2-3 million under the cap. I think it could very easily be done.

But, like you said, it involves foresight and some action by the management team. I'm more optimistic this summer that they will do something like bring in a Marleau or Jokinen at center and sign a couple of affordable guys to replace Campbell, Kalinin, Teppo, and possibly Pratt on the blueline. That's my opinion at least. Either way, I want Orpik playing for Buffalo, and I disagree with you in that I think he can be a legitimate defensive force from the blueline as you saw him get 4 hits in 10 seconds last night. He's exactly the player that the Sabres need from the blueline. I hope Darcy goes after him.

Talk about a dream scenario....

I really think we're looking at either Orpik or Liles...very doubtful we'll see both, especially if Miller & Pominville are extended. I wonder if the brass thinks that the Weber-Sekera pair is the future and they may be getting a more offensive defenseman like Liles to play with Spacek.

Good point. With exception of Brad May, most of those guys lack the "career journeyman" status of Sydor!

Actually, I think Sydor has only recently been a journeyman. For the first 13 years of his career, he played on all of two teams, the Kings and the Dallas Stars. Only in the last four NHL seasons he has played for 4 different teams. I'm not sure I would call him a "career journeyman". He's only become a journeyman now at the end of his career. When I think of career journeyman, I think of guys who have played for a ton of teams and can't stick with a team for more than 1 or 2 seasons throughout their entire career. When I think of Daryl Sydor I remember his time mostly with the Dallas Stars and L.A. Kings, but that's me.

Talk about a dream scenario....

I really think we're looking at either Orpik or Liles...very doubtful we'll see both, especially if Miller & Pominville are extended. I wonder if the brass thinks that the Weber-Sekera pair is the future and they may be getting a more offensive defenseman like Liles to play with Spacek.

Well, Miller and Pominville's extension would not hit the books this season. They're extensions only count against the cap for the 2009-2010 seasons as both are under contract for 2008-2009. And after the 2008-2009 season, Spacek, Max (if he's still here), Kotalik, and Connolly all become UFAs. Meaning, there's plenty of room to sign all of these guys to long term deals beyond the 2009-2010 season if you plan and have the foresight to manage the cap properly. I'm just a guy in front of a computer screen, so I'm no general manager, and I realize how hard it is to do all of these things and it's a lot easier said than done, but I think with proper planning and foresight, this management team could easily do it and figure it out, at least I would hope.

Archived