Red Wings vs. Penguins!

bob_sauve28

Actually, I think Sydor has only recently been a journeyman. For the first 13 years of his career, he played on all of two teams, the Kings and the Dallas Stars. Only in the last four NHL seasons he has played for 4 different teams. I'm not sure I would call him a "career journeyman". He's only become a journeyman now at the end of his career. When I think of career journeyman, I think of guys who have played for a ton of teams and can't stick with a team for more than 1 or 2 seasons throughout their entire career. When I think of Daryl Sydor I remember his time mostly with the Dallas Stars and L.A. Kings, but that's me.

Yep, Dallas specifically. He was also good with Tampa during their cup run.

IMO, the EPITOME of a journeyman is Mike Sillinger, who has played for a whopping TWELVE NHL teams! And the funny thing is I wouldn't even mind the Sabres bringing him in as a 2nd or 3rd center since he's a very, very good faceoff man who puts up decent point totals considering he's going towards 40 years old.

Guest Sloth
Pittsburgh showed it can play with a lead.

Still laughing about Franzen's slow motion assault for a goal splitting Scuderi and Whitney.

A smarter fan base would have left the building right then :D (jk)

Franzen was Detroit's main man when they had the injury problems in the latter portion of the season. I believe he had 13 goals in 11 games... Franzen would be a good veteran to have on the Sabres third line. Will he be an UFA this summer?

I'm pulling for the Penguins so we can watch a 7 game series, but they've only played even hockey w/ Detroit for three periods the entire series (Game 1 = Period 1/ Game 2 = None/ Game 3 = Periods 1 and 2) Detroit DOMINATED the Pens in the third period last night.

The more I think about last night's game. The more I think Detroit doesn't need to change a thing.

Datsuyk I always knew was good, but I didn't think of him as a superstar until he dropped Malone last night.

If you're Babcock what do you say other than, "go out and do the same stuff." ?

Franzen was Detroit's main man when they had the injury problems in the latter portion of the season. I believe he had 13 goals in 11 games... Franzen would be a good veteran to have on the Sabres third line. Will he be an UFA this summer?

I'm pulling for the Penguins so we can watch a 7 game series, but they've only played even hockey w/ Detroit for three periods the entire series (Game 1 = Period 1/ Game 2 = None/ Game 3 = Periods 1 and 2) Detroit DOMINATED the Pens in the third period last night.

Franzen is a UFA after next season - he is signed through 08/09.

As hot as he was in the postseason pre-concussion, I'm not that impressed with his game overall. He's 28, has only been in the league three years, and this year's 27-11-38 were career highs in goals and points. He's like the opposite of Kotalik - similar size, Franzen is a better physical, two-way player but not as good of a scorer.

I missed most of the 3rd period last night, but recorded it so I can watch it again right now.

WOW

That 5:30 stretch in the 3rd period w/o a whistle was easily the best hockey of the playoffs. This is what the NHL needs to market to the country. "electric" doesn't even come close to describing the atmosphere in the arena, either.

Orpik was on a mission on that shift where he dropped 4 different Red Wings in 10 seconds.

Henrik Zetterberg is good, but Datsuyk was the best player on the ice last night.

WOW

I missed most of the 3rd period last night, but recorded it so I can watch it again right now.

WOW

That 5:30 stretch in the 3rd period w/o a whistle was easily the best hockey of the playoffs. This is what the NHL needs to market to the country. "electric" doesn't even come close to describing the atmosphere in the arena, either.

Orpik was on a mission on that shift where he dropped 4 different Red Wings in 10 seconds.

Henrik Zetterberg is good, but Datsuyk was the best player on the ice last night.

WOW

The last game was good because of this- like you said- many times going without a whistle. It really shows the ability of the coaches and players to play nonstop. Like Nascar, it's an on going event, you need a good pit crew and quick changes, no TV time outs.

Got me thinking, the NHL has eliminated a bunch of things that slowed down the game, two line passes, not blowing the whistle every time someone ties it up in the corner....

I'm trying to think of something that still happens to slow the game or get the whistle. Seeing 6 or 7 minutes of hockey played straight through is exciting for me. What else might be changed to keep play going? Play it off the netting over the boards? like wally-hockey (okay that's too far)?

I'm trying to think of something that still happens to slow the game or get the whistle. Seeing 6 or 7 minutes of hockey played straight through is exciting for me. What else might be changed to keep play going? Play it off the netting over the boards? like wally-hockey (okay that's too far)?

Right now they blow the whistle when the puck is in the goaltenders glove.

We could get rid of that. It would make a lot of games pretty interesting quickly. :lol:

DYK: the Red Wings are at a "special retreat" at an undisclosed location instead of at the hotel in Pittsburgh. Trying to avoid the 2am fire alarm?

Never knew it but the visiting team is not allowed to go back home between out of town games. I assume becasue they don't want to pull an Emery and get caught in traffic.

answer post #82?

They could always eliminate icing lol or maybe make it so when a team scores the goalie has to take the puck out and give it to a D man who immediately circles around behind the net and starts up ice. It'd be like basketball.

ugh now im just ruining hockey.

They could always eliminate icing lol or maybe make it so when a team scores the goalie has to take the puck out and give it to a D man who immediately circles around behind the net and starts up ice. It'd be like basketball.

ugh now im just ruining hockey.

It could be like Bubble hockey....when a team scores a new puck is dropped out of the Jumbotron within 5 seconds.

They should just do away with the faceoff altogether and go Vince McMahon, XHL style. Toss a puck in the corner and see who comes out with it. The winning team brings the puck out from behind their net.

They should just do away with the faceoff altogether and go Vince McMahon, XHL style. Toss a puck in the corner and see who comes out with it. The winning team brings the puck out from behind their net.

hilarity ensues.

should we let the players have crazy names? imagine the weird stuff the french canadians would put on there. Russian Cyrillic too!

hilarity ensues.

should we let the players have crazy names? imagine the weird stuff the french canadians would put on there. Russian Cyrillic too!

I'd love to see some random Russian player put something about Anna Kournikova on the back of his jersey...something along the lines of "He Hate Me" - maybe "She [NSFW] Me Too"... :thumbsup:

Guest Sloth

I wish I could see the game right now! I'm stationed at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, MS. It's on the coast, which is WAY different from the rest of MS, but they're showing a special to raise money for a children's hospital. I respect their effort entirely, but I wish I could watch the game! I hope you guys are having fun!

Just thought I'd point out Bruce Broudreux, coach for the Capitals, was the head coach for the MS Seawolves when they won the Kelly Cup. I was shocked to see hockey existed down here and I was actually excited when they won.

I'm sure I didn't spell Bruce's name right so don't bash me for it. ha ha

Well the Pens are about done now. All I can say is I hate NBC broadcasting even more than Versus. In their effort to make the game interesting they just totally oversell Cindy Crosby.

They talked about how the Wings shut the Pens down, but frankly I think the Pens had their chances. The Wings pulled out a 2-1 win only because of grit, luck, desperation and Osgood. NBC was lobbying for Zetterberg for playoff MVP, and he's definitely a candidate, but to me it's Osgood, hands down. I think if he gets the shutout Monday he'll get it.

Well the Pens are about done now. All I can say is I hate NBC broadcasting even more than Versus. In their effort to make the game interesting they just totally oversell Cindy Crosby.

They talked about how the Wings shut the Pens down, but frankly I think the Pens had their chances. The Wings pulled out a 2-1 win only because of grit, luck, desperation and Osgood. NBC was lobbying for Zetterberg for playoff MVP, and he's definitely a candidate, but to me it's Osgood, hands down. I think if he gets the shutout Monday he'll get it.

Zetterberg was extremely good tonight. Who was the best? I don't know, but I am pretty sure it was a Swede. Team Sweden: Lindstrom, Zetterberg, and Kronvall pretty much killed that 5-3 by themselves.

How can Pittsburgh not double shift Crosby? What the hell they saving him for?

Eh, VS & NBC are annoying, but they're trying to sell to a national audience. I agree with you on Osgood, he's been spectacular.

What's this, Detroit's 11th cup? In other news, the Patriots won a few games last year.

Zetterberg was extremely good tonight. Who was the best? I don't know, but I am pretty sure it was a Swede. Team Sweden: Lindstrom, Zetterberg, and Kronvall pretty much killed that 5-3 by themselves.

How can Pittsburgh not double shift Crosby? What the hell they saving him for?

Yeah thats Michelle Therian for ya, he does things that allow second guessing. Like putting Malkin in critical situations with as bad as he has been playing... (upside he has to learn how to handle it for the future, downside well all say it last night).. IMHO that is the biggest difference in this series (who else is contributing?). Who got the winner last night ? it wasn't Detriots top line. Nobody else on the pens has really contributed and Malkin is one of the biggest missing player, it almost looks like a Max thing. Maybe it's a Russian thing...

Rushing into the off season to get home to Mom and Dad. Rumor here in Pgh say's Gino is real homesick since Mom and Dad left in early March, through someone at an orthodox catholic church he attends she says he really wants to make friends but on equal terms not just because of who he is (hockey player), nothing wrong with that just Pgh does not have a real big russian community like toronto, NY or even Montreal. He just turned 21 chronologically but maturity level he appears to be more like 17.. Hockey is all he knows since a kid and the language barrier makes it hard for anything outside hockey.... Man the problems of being a superstar that is bound to be a millionaire very soon.... :rolleyes: Go figure

Eh, VS & NBC are annoying, but they're trying to sell to a national audience. I agree with you on Osgood, he's been spectacular.

What's this, Detroit's 11th cup? In other news, the Patriots won a few games last year.

You mean the

Archived