Red Wings vs. Penguins!

bob_sauve28

Agreed. If Franzen gets over his hangover...errr.... concussion, it will be an even shorter series.

For the Wings, though, I think the last two series (Dallas and now Pittsburgh) were/are not slam-dunks. Pittsburgh is there for a reason. They had a strong second half and looked just fine in the playoffs so far. I think the can beat the Wings, but I don't think they will. I think Crosby is gonna be the Marino of the NHL- great career with no championship rings.

Game 1 is going to be bigger in this series than most ... Pittsburgh has started every series at home and jumped to 2-0 leads in every series. They are still so young, I wonder how they will react if they fall behind 2-0 before playing a home game in this series. If, on the other hand, they win Game 1, they may just keep right on rolling.

Speaking of the Penguins, the 74-75 Sabres should be a cautionary tale ... that team had NO ONE over age 27 play more than 32 games ... only Fred Stanfield (30) was a regular in the playoffs and over age 27 ... and they never got back to the Finals ... and that was BEFORE free agency. You never know how many chances you will get.

I'm picking Detroit in 7, but should be interesting.

I say Wings in 4. Pitt has been winning the first two at home and then putting a stranglehold on the series. Let's see how they do on the road and against Osgood. Detroit will be much more physical than the teams they have played so far. I'll be rooting for Pitt, but I just don't see this as a good matchup for them.

I am hoping this series ends up being the great match up it looks to be on paper. I think it will be exciting to watch, and will go to six or seven games to decide. I'd love for Pit to win but don't think anyone will beat the Wings in a series this year. Should be good.

I think we're going 7 games. Both teams have been machines in the playoffs and their goaltending has been outstanding.

I think a lot depends on how Marc-Andre Fleury plays....if he implodes at all, it might be a short series, but I don't think he will.

And I'd have to go with the experience....Wings in 7.

Stanley Cup Finals

(2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (1) Detroit Red Wings

Series tied 0-0

Game 1: Sat, May 24 -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8:00 pm EDT (VS., CBC)

Game 2: Mon, May 26 -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8:00 pm EDT (VS., CBC)

Game 3: Wed, May 28 -- Detroit at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)

Game 4: Sat, May 31 -- Detroit at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)

*Game 5: Mon, Jun 2 -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)

*Game 6: Wed, Jun 4 -- Detroit at Pittsburgh, 8:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)

*Game 7: Sat, Jun 7 -- Pittsburgh at Detroit, 8:00 pm EDT (NBC, CBC)

* - If necessary

Schedule per Yahoo Sports

how the F can any of you be seriously rooting for $hittsburgh???

how do you like a city, similar in city and economic standing to Buffalo....having 5 super bowl titles, 2 stanley cups, world series titles, etc...and Buffalo has ZERO???????????????????????????

It makes me sick to my stomach that filthy cest pool has gotten so lucky with their sports teams..

any then there is Cynthia Crosby...the "golden boy" that all the networks WANT in the finals.... its lke rooting for the HS football QB to get the homecoming queen.... F that!

I hope the wings destroy them...

"the pens need swept!"

F $hittsburgh

any if yer listening "wonderbread"...i hope to God you aint rooting for them inbred, West Va backwoods horses a$$es to win it.

to me, $hittsburgh is west Va...so if you want the Pens, youre rooting for W VA to have the Stanley Cup. F it!

how do you like a city, similar in city and economic standing to Buffalo....having 5 super bowl titles, 2 stanley cups, world series titles, etc...and Buffalo has ZERO???????????????????????????

It makes me sick to my stomach that filthy cest pool has gotten so lucky with their sports teams..

any then there is Cynthia Crosby...the "golden boy" that all the networks WANT in the finals.... its lke rooting for the HS football QB to get the homecoming queen.... F that!

"the pens need swept!"

F $hittsburgh

any if yer listening "wonderbread"...i hope to God you aint rooting for them inbred, West Va backwoods horses a$$es to win it.

to me, $hittsburgh is west Va...so if you want the Pens, youre rooting for W VA to have the Stanley Cup. F it!

You're late, we all expected you to start your rant around 6:15 Sunday afternoon and work yourself into a frothing, raving, expletive-filled rage by Game 1 of the Cup Finals.

I think we're going 7 games. Both teams have been machines in the playoffs and their goaltending has been outstanding.

I think a lot depends on how Marc-Andre Fleury plays....if he implodes at all, it might be a short series, but I don't think he will.

And I'd have to go with the experience....Wings in 7.

7 games would be great!

Guest Sloth

"the pens need swept!"

F $hittsburgh

Have you ever had some type of anger management?

"the pens need swept!"

F $hittsburgh

any if yer listening "wonderbread"...i hope to God you aint rooting for them inbred, West Va backwoods horses a$es to win it.

I didn't really care who wins, just wanted to see a good series. But now I'll have to pull for Pittsburgh, just to see some more of these gems :thumbsup:

Thanks to a 200 day break between the conference finals and the cup finals, I have lost almost all interest in watching.

Yep. So much for the rest advantage the Pens might have gotten by closing out their series first.

No Franzen for Game 1: (LINK)

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen practiced for more than an hour Friday with his teammates, but hasn't been cleared by doctors to return to game action after suffering from concussion-like symptoms.

Franzen, the NHL leader this year in postseason goals with 12, has been out since Game 2 of the Western Conference finals and said he won't play Saturday night when Detroit takes on the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals opener.

Jeez, an extra few days of rest and he still can't get ready? Bet the NHL is thinking about pushing Game 1 back a couple days...

"the pens need swept!"

F $hittsburgh

You shouldn't let your jealousy prevent you from enjoying what should be a great Stanley Cup Final.

I for one will be rooting for the Penguins. They have a great young team and should be the standard in the East for some years to come. I like having teams that are a cut above the other teams. I hate parity.

Wow, I can't believe they called back that goal! They've been allowing that for years until the series against Dallas and Turco's whining.

when they showed it real time he definitely turned and swung his stick to hit fleury. and how did pitt not score on that powerplay

Just started watching. I really believe Wings will sweep or almost sweep on my first impression here. Pittsburgh is still too young. From Fleury to Crosby himself. Detroit will find a way to null Cindy. Malkin is their best player.

Yeah. wrap it up this year, Detroit champs. prove me wrong, but i doubt it.

4-0 Detroit.... they got stronger as the game went on. By the end they were taking the Penguins to school.

I think someone on Versus said this series will be decided by the 2nd and 3rd lines on each team. So far that's prophetic- Samuelsson for 2, Cleary for 1 shorthanded, then finally Zetterberg got on the board. Frankly, I think Malkin-Crosby might outscore Zetterberg-Datsyuk, but after the top line for each team I think Detroit is deeper. They have cagey veterans that know how to play at this level. Draper wins about 2/3 of his faceoffs; McCarty, a washed-out walk-on, has a cup-winning goal. Sammuelson, even without the goals, hustled enough and hit enough to earn the first star in my opinion.

I think the age of the Red Wings will catch up to them when the series shifts to Pittsburgh but they will still carry the series. Right now it's 1-0 Detroit, I still see them taking the Cup in 6.

Archived