Pominville a Finalist for Lady Byng

SabresFan526

Hey, how about that? Pominville is a finalist for the Lady Byng Trophy this year. It's not the Hart, but hey, given this season, it's great to see a Sabre as a finalist for any post-season trophy, and I'm especially excited that it's Pominville who's up for the award. Darcy, get him signed long term right now.

I just saw it on the NHL Network. Let me see if I can find a link.

Edit: Link here: http://www.kptv.com/nhl/15979477/detail.html

Hey, how about that? Pominville is a finalist for the Lady Byng Trophy this year. It's not the Hart, but hey, given this season, it's great to see a Sabre as a finalist for any post-season trophy, and I'm especially excited that it's Pominville who's up for the award. Darcy, get him signed long term right now.

Congrats Pommer! I have no doubts that he will win other awards throughout his career (including this one), but based on his season this year, this is the perfect award for him. He's got some tough competition. St. Louis may get it simply because he is a multiple-time nominee, but never won it, unlike Datsyuk who has won it twice in a row and Pommer who is a first time nominee.

This reminds me of something I started to notice about him towards the end of the year. How many times do you see a forward get pummeled when they go near a goalie who had the puck covered? Any time Pominville was that forward, no one would touch him. He obviously has a very positive reputation around the league.

I am not a big stats guy, but this one amazed me.

Pommers 27 goals, 24 even strength. Jeez o man, is that the highest percentage of goals ever for someone who has over 20 . I dunna, maybe some of the guys from the great Oilers or Penquins teams when they had the superstars on the PP might not have seen the ice much on the PP, but still friggen 90% of your goals at even stregth?

Congrats to Pommers, hope he is here for a long time

I am not a big stats guy, but this one amazed me.

Pommers 27 goals, 24 even strength. Jeez o man, is that the highest percentage of goals ever for someone who has over 20 . I dunna, maybe some of the guys from the great Oilers or Penquins teams when they had the superstars on the PP might not have seen the ice much on the PP, but still friggen 90% of your goals at even stregth?

Congrats to Pommers, hope he is here for a long time

I believe he led the league in Even Strength goals last year with over 30. Very impressive.

The Lady Byng has had winners like Ronnie Francis, Wayne Gretzky, Mike Bossy, etc. so despite its - ahem - mixed reputation for an award that is some good company.

A well deserved nomination for an excellent two-way hockey player, even if he - to paraphrase TSN's Pierre Maguire - looks more like the waterboy than an NHL star.

So if this award is for gentlemanly play, how is that quantified? Who's the favorite out of the three nominees? I have no idea how to call it.

If it's based on hair gel and *NSYNC ticket stubs then Pominville is a shoo-in. :ph34r:

I believe he led the league in Even Strength goals last year with over 30. Very impressive.

The Lady Byng has had winners like Ronnie Francis, Wayne Gretzky, Mike Bossy, etc. so despite its - ahem - mixed reputation for an award that is some good company.

A well deserved nomination for an excellent two-way hockey player, even if he - to paraphrase TSN's Pierre Maguire - looks more like the waterboy than an NHL star.

It has also had a winner wearing blue and gold and crossed swords.

True.

Then he goes out and punches a guy and breaks his face!

;) ;)

No need to fight when the only 2 times you do it, you do break the other guy's face. Your dance card tends to remain mysteriously unfilled for some reason.

It is a much more successful way to avoid having to fight than Boxy's get dropped by a single punch in your 1st NHL fight. :doh:

No need to fight when the only 2 times you do it, you do break the other guy's face. Your dance card tends to remain mysteriously unfilled for some reason.

It is a much more successful way to avoid having to fight than Boxy's get dropped by a single punch in your 1st NHL fight. :doh:

It also helps when you skate well enough that nobody can touch you anyway.

I was all over this a couple of months ago <insert pat yourself on the back smiley>

http://forums.sabrespace.com/index.php...ost&p=82429

Good call. Now he in fact is a finalist for the Lady Byng. He should win it, but since Datsyuk is the reigning winner, I think Datsyuk will probably get it. But a different face getting the award would be nice.

Nice job Pommer..If its made of Gold maybe he can scrap it for cash and lend some to Tom G and he can sign us a captain..

Now the Sabres have an excuse not to pay him.."He won an award now he will be too overpriced"

Not sure what Ruff means when he says it's "late in coming"....The guy has only been in the league a couple of years, and to be up for an award like the Bing (er) this early in his career is a nice testament to his impact at such a young age.

Probably because last year he had a 30+ goal season, led the league in even strength goals (30), was a +25 and played on all special teams, yet everyone dismissed his performance as a result of being on the line with Danny Briere. I don't remember any talk of him being up for the Lady Byng last year, when he certainly should have been. Now that he has proven that he had more than a little to do with that success, he is getting his due attention.

Now the Sabres have an excuse not to pay him.."He won an award now he will be too overpriced"

I can say without a doubt that no monetary gain will be had from winning the freakin Lady Bing.

I like Pominville, he may just be my favorite player, but am I the only person on this message board that hopes no Sabre ever wins the Lady Bing? The trophy has the word "Lady" in it. Unless the trophy is named, the Lady Bang Trophy, and goes to the dude who scored the most ass trophy, I don't want anyone from my team winning it.

I can say without a doubt that no monetary gain will be had from winning the freakin Lady Bing.

I like Pominville, he may just be my favorite player, but am I the only person on this message board that hopes no Sabre ever wins the Lady Bing? The trophy has the word "Lady" in it. Unless the trophy is named, the Lady Bang Trophy, and goes to the dude who scored the most ass trophy, I don't want anyone from my team winning it.

In the strange culture of the NHL it would actually be a tremendous honor for Pominville.

Esp. for a 3rd year player. The Lady Bing is a halo. The aureole and nimbus doesn't actually make you a better hockey player - but it gives you the benefit of the doubt with refs and some immunity rookie cheepos. Basically it tells the whole league that you get and deserve veteran status at age 25.

And remember Dougy Weight calling him out publicly for diving a few years ago...that ain't going to happen either.

In the strange culture of the NHL it would actually be a tremendous honor for Pominville.

Esp. for a 3rd year player. The Lady Bing is a halo. The aureole and nimbus doesn't actually make you a better hockey player - but it gives you the benefit of the doubt with refs and some immunity rookie cheepos. Basically it tells the whole league that you get and deserve veteran status at age 25.

And remember Dougy Weight calling him out publicly for diving a few years ago...that ain't going to happen either.

To be precise, Weight called out number 29, claiming he didn't know who he was. Think he knows now? Also, Ink may want to check past winners, some guys had quite an edge to their play.

Archived