Campbell's Spin-O-Rama with 20 seconds left at his blueline

matter2003

I just have to ask the question of how can a player like Joe Thornton change so drastically in the playoffs?

Some players score in meaningless games at meaningless times and their stats get padded or their talent accounts for a lot but drive doesn't in the playoffs, but in a few (very few) SJ games this year I've watched, Thornton just doesn't seem that type. Is it that his regular season level is his top effort, and come playoffs he can't step it up? Maybe I haven't seen enough of him during the regular season but he never struck me as someone who would just pack it in when things got tough.

He and Thornton will take much of the blame. Even the announcers were pointing out how those two both had find ways to contribute. They said something about needing their big stars, Thornton and Campbell, to step up and prove themselves.

Were you watching the CBC coverage? Kelly Hrudey was really ripping him after the game. On that last goal by Nolan, Campbell was standing around (as he frequently did in Buffalo) and didn't so much as make an attempt to block the shot or do anything to tie up Nolan. Simply pathetic that people are still trying to justify paying $7 mil /year for that type of performance.

Kelly Hrudey was really ripping him after the game.

Rightly so.

On that last goal by Nolan, Campbell was standing around (as he frequently did in Buffalo) and didn't so much as make an attempt to block the shot or do anything to tie up Nolan. Simply pathetic that people are still trying to justify paying $7 mil /year for that type of performance.

More floating than standing - and it was his anemic reach against Tanguay that was more damnable than anything he did or didn't do with Nolan.

Simply pathetic that people are still trying to justify paying $7 mil /year for that type of performance.

Someone will overpay, to be sure.

And it's true, IMO, that as a 1-2 d-guy Campbell's not going to help you win the Cup. But from a business perspective, there is something to be said for paying a premium for a guy with some flash and sizzle who can help put butts in the seats for the 41 home games.

Were you watching the CBC coverage? Kelly Hrudey was really ripping him after the game. On that last goal by Nolan, Campbell was standing around (as he frequently did in Buffalo) and didn't so much as make an attempt to block the shot or do anything to tie up Nolan. Simply pathetic that people are still trying to justify paying $7 mil /year for that type of performance.

It's not like any of this is news, it just seems that everyone completely chose to ignore Campbells defensive shortcomings for such a long time, Brian himself began believing his own press in the end.

Fact is, he's a skating defenseman with an offensive side to his game, that's it.

He has no shot, no particularly impressive playmaking abilities, and below average defensive capabilities. Oh, and he hit some guy 2 years ago. Wow.

Pick the most overrated player in hockey? Prior to the game last night, I would've said Campbell. It appears others are getting wise to him though.

Currently, I'm thinking Campbell is the defensive version of Max. All flash and dash, and makes the crowd go "oooh" and "aaah", but with the game on the line, he's definitely not the guy who'll win it for you.

Please note that the reason I'm ripping on him is purely because of salary demands. At his current price, he was the steal of the decade for three seasons. There.

But if you ask for money like that, you'd BETTER get your game together Brian, and you have a LONG way to go. Good luck to you, I wish you nothing but the best, but your demands require you BECOME one of the best. Currently, you're not.

Fact is, he's a skating defenseman with an offensive side to his game, that's it.

He has no shot, no particularly impressive playmaking abilities, and below average defensive capabilities. Oh, and he hit some guy 2 years ago. Wow.

I seriously want you to start writing scouting reports for TSN.ca. That was spot on, perfectly worded.

It's not like any of this is news, it just seems that everyone completely chose to ignore Campbells defensive shortcomings for such a long time, Brian himself began believing his own press in the end.

Pick the most overrated player in hockey? Prior to the game last night, I would've said Campbell. It appears others are getting wise to him though.

Currently, I'm thinking Campbell is the defensive version of Max. All flash and dash, and makes the crowd go "oooh" and "aaah", but with the game on the line, he's definitely not the guy who'll win it for you.

Please note that the reason I'm ripping on him is purely because of salary demands. At his current price, he was the steal of the decade for three seasons. There.

But if you ask for money like that, you'd BETTER get your game together Brian, and you have a LONG way to go. Good luck to you, I wish you nothing but the best, but your demands require you BECOME one of the best. Currently, you're not.

Come on now you got your wish and your still piling on..Nothing like morning after sex..LOL

Not sure at all what you mean by that opinion - and I'm not the only one who disagrees. Please translate...thanks

I believe it's racist because what other reason do hockey analysts have to deem Grier a fighter. He fought a handful of scraps upon entering the league but it's few and far between after that. So why would hockey people consider him a fighter?

Brashear

Laraque

Worrell

All men of color, all primarily fighters. Am I saying all black hockey players do is fight? No, but the announcers are implying it. Sounds like racism to me.

I believe it's racist because what other reason do hockey analysts have to deem Grier a fighter. He fought a handful of scraps upon entering the league but it's few and far between after that. So why would hockey people consider him a fighter?

Brashear

Laraque

Worrell

All men of color, all primarily fighters. Am I saying all black hockey players do is fight? No, but the announcers are implying it. Sounds like racism to me.

I don't think that's necessarily racist, but what you're describing sounds more like stereotyping black hockey players.

FWIW, I count 22 fights on Grier's hockeyfights.com player page - 22 fights in 9 seasons. Not exactly an enforcer but also not a Lady Byng candidate...

Dont have to justify anything..He will get it and you wont have to watch him..What a concept..Wow for a man who isnt here anymore everyone sure goes out of there way to stomp on a ghost..LOL..Lets hope the Sabres are worrying more about finding a defense rather than circle jerking each other on how they got rid of a total failure of a defensman..LOL

Dont have to justify anything..He will get it and you wont have to watch him..What a concept..Wow for a man who isnt here anymore everyone sure goes out of there way to stomp on a ghost..LOL..Lets hope the Sabres are worrying more about finding a defense rather than circle jerking each other on how they got rid of a total failure of a defensman..LOL

With all the pissing and moaning about how overrated Drury and Briere were and how they suck and what they are doing on their new teams doesn't matter - can you honestly say you're surprised Campbell is getting the same treatment?

But on the other hand you have to look at Campbell and realize that whether or not some jackass GM has a brain fart and pays Campbell $7M/per, that still doesn't make Soupy an elite, all-around complete defenseman. His game has a lot of good to it, but also has a lot of warts.

With all the pissing and moaning about how overrated Drury and Briere were and how they suck and what they are doing on their new teams doesn't matter - can you honestly say you're surprised Campbell is getting the same treatment?

But on the other hand you have to look at Campbell and realize that whether or not some jackass GM has a brain fart and pays Campbell $7M/per, that still doesn't make Soupy an elite, all-around complete defenseman. His game has a lot of good to it, but also has a lot of warts.

I dont blame the player, I blame the management..No one on this board would cry one bit about Campbell if he had signe here for 5 mill a yr for 5 yrs(maybe Labatt) Just like no one would be cryin if the same had happened with Drury and others..The Sabres had their chances to sign them and didnt now we watch the playoffs, and some make fun and hope to GOD that none of the Sabres no longer here screw up and will jump on them at every chance to make themselves feel better. I get it..If the Sabres cant win with them lets pounce on every mistake they make to justify the Sabes for letting them go....Whatever makes you feel better..I will feel better when we have a team again...Next

I dont blame the player, I blame the management..No one on this board would cry one bit about Campbell if he had signe here for 5 mill a yr for 5 yrs(maybe Labatt) Just like no one would be cryin if the same had happened with Drury and others..The Sabres had their chances to sign them and didnt now we watch the playoffs, and some make fun and hope to GOD that none of the Sabres no longer here screw up and will jump on them at every chance to make themselves feel better. I get it..If the Sabres cant win with them lets pounce on every mistake they make to justify the Sabes for letting them go....Whatever makes you feel better..I will feel better when we have a team again...Next

You seriously underestimate the members of this board.... :D

That play is insignificant.

The real reason we won't be OVER paying this guy is the play he made on the winning goal. Horrendous defense. Horrendous.

Not to mention in game 1 where Iginla made Campbell look like a boy as he outmuscled him and drove to the net, assisting on Yelle's second goal...

I dont blame the player, I blame the management..No one on this board would cry one bit about Campbell if he had signe here for 5 mill a yr for 5 yrs(maybe Labatt) Just like no one would be cryin if the same had happened with Drury and others...

Lots of people complained about Campbell long before he was traded and many of them (myself included) would not have been happy if they had paid him 5 for 5. I will admit that fans, again myself included, like to focus on the good in their players and the bad in other team's players. It's the nature of the beast.

Look, nobody is disputing that Campbell is a good player.

I just think that when he's due for a payraise like that, it's natural to start looking at the shortcomings in his game, and if those 7 mill. will actually give you value for your money.

It's also only natural for people to expect him not to have those shortcomings at all, seeing as he's been labeled "a star player".

Have you been watching him? I don't think you have.

The game in Calgary was an historic playoff collapse. Thornton and Campbell and the Sharks have been a league-wide story. These guys can play, and they put up numbers throughout the year.

The question is: when people are laying their bodies on the line in playoff mode, can they step up their game? Playoffs are test time. Thornton and Campbell have a pretty perimeter game. If they lose tonight - Campbell's detractors have a case that he might not be the lodestone to build a defense around....and actually these past two months is the longest time I think he's spent on what you can call clearly call a #1 pairing.

Have you been watching him? I don't think you have.

The game in Calgary was an historic playoff collapse. Thornton and Campbell and the Sharks have been a league-wide story. These guys can play, and they put up numbers throughout the year.

The question is: when people are laying their bodies on the line in playoff mode, can they step up their game? Playoffs are test time. Thornton and Campbell have a pretty perimeter game. If they lose tonight - Campbell's detractors have a case that he might not be the lodestone to build a defense around....and actually these past two months is the longest time I think he's spent on what you can call clearly call a #1 pairing.

No I havent been watching..The thought of my favorite team one season removed from being a decent team and 2 seasons removed from what shoulda been a cup winner to not watching them in the playoffs at all has me watching things like deadliest catch, baseball, under water basketweaving instead.. I choose to not watch..However one thing I can tell you is this..2 weeks ago the reason they were winning was Joe Thornton according to everyone here, not Brian Campbell, now they are losing and all the sudden its Campbells fault..LOL....The Sharks have been choking for years one player is not the answer...Maybe if Thornton and Marleau stepped up they would win..But dont spin it all on Campbell. I know thats what you do though..

Here are my random thoughts on Soupy:

1. He's a very good defenseman. He's not nearly as good at hitting, shotblocking, clearing the front of the net, etc. in the defensive zone as Pronger, Chara, Phaneuf etc., but I don't think anyone is really arguing that he is. But he brings a lot to the table. And one thing he brings that some posters here don't want to give him credit for is that clearing the zone by outskating the forechecker to the puck, making a nice pass, and/or skating it up the ice is by definition good defensive zone play. It's not as hard-edged as a big hit or shotblock, but clearing the zone and turning a defensive situation into an offensive situation is the essence of the defenseman's role. It's why SJ -- one of the best teams in the NHL -- is playing him 26+ minutes per night (and why Lindy gave him a ton of ice time as well).

2. I completely disagree that Soupy has "no shot". He has an excellent slapper from the blue line.

3. I doubt Soupy will get $8 million per year, but someone will give him $40-$45 million for 6-7 years. And good for him. He's a really good guy. There is no reason in the world for people here to be taking shots at him.

4. Here's an interesting quote from Soupy from the Globe and Mail (

Linky):

To Campbell, the biggest difference between the Sabres, his former team, and the Sharks, his current team, is, "the accountability inside the dressing room. It's probably the first team I've been on where guys will speak up and say something and you take it to heart. It's a big change that way, probably the biggest thing."

What does that say about the Sabres' locker room during the past couple of years? I suppose it means that Drury and Briere led more by example than by calling their teammates out in front of everyone? I wonder who on the Sharks is the ballbuster?

No I havent been watching..The thought of my favorite team one season removed from being a decent team and 2 seasons removed from what shoulda been a cup winner to not watching them in the playoffs at all has me watching things like deadliest catch, baseball, under water basketweaving instead.. I choose to not watch..However one thing I can tell you is this..2 weeks ago the reason they were winning was Joe Thornton according to everyone here, not Brian Campbell, now they are losing and all the sudden its Campbells fault..LOL....The Sharks have been choking for years one player is not the answer...Maybe if Thornton and Marleau stepped up they would win..But dont spin it all on Campbell. I know thats what you do though..

<_< So you aren't watching and you're calling me out. Prick.

......4. Here's an interesting quote from Soupy from the Globe and Mail (

Linky):

To Campbell, the biggest difference between the Sabres, his former team, and the Sharks, his current team, is, "the accountability inside the dressing room. It's probably the first team I've been on where guys will speak up and say something and you take it to heart. It's a big change that way, probably the biggest thing."

What does that say about the Sabres' locker room during the past couple of years? I suppose it means that Drury and Briere led more by example than by calling their teammates out in front of everyone? I wonder who on the Sharks is the ballbuster?

Hmm, that pretty much confirms one of the drums I've been beating only I was calling it chemistry. It's interesting we joke here about the team of Metrosexuals we currently have but IMHO that is some of the problem for what we were seeing on the ice. This new world order mantra about never say anything bad or harsh about anyone and how dare you judge me allowing everyone to be their own critic and judge doesn't bode well for a team buying into and working towards one goal common goal. No wonders no one stood up for one another when stuff happened during the season. They had no body leading, speaking up and clearly were not all marching to the same tune, just following the beat of their own drum....

Archived