Campbell's Spin-O-Rama with 20 seconds left at his blueline

matter2003

Hmm, that pretty much confirms one of the drums I've been beating only I was calling it chemistry. It's interesting we joke here about the team of Metrosexuals we currently have but IMHO that is some of the problem for what we were seeing on the ice. This new world order mantra about never say anything bad or harsh about anyone and how dare you judge me allowing everyone to be their own critic and judge doesn't bode well for a team buying into and working towards one goal common goal. No wonders no one stood up for one another when stuff happened during the season. They had no body leading, speaking up and clearly were not all marching to the same tune, just following the beat of their own drum....

And what's even more troubling : What will stop it from being the same thing next season?

But one thing puzzles me - If Brian wanted someone to speak out, why didn't he speak out himself? I mean, wasn't he supposed to be one the "leaders" on this team? His salary demands seem to indicate so.

Granted, I'm lashing out now, but in my book that's just yet another pu**y comment from a soft-as-baby-diapers blueliner. Ever heard about stepping up to the plate yourself? Good riddance he's gone, apparently it's one less silent voice in the locker room, and a ton of cash saved.

Hmm, that pretty much confirms one of the drums I've been beating only I was calling it chemistry. It's interesting we joke here about the team of Metrosexuals we currently have but IMHO that is some of the problem for what we were seeing on the ice. This new world order mantra about never say anything bad or harsh about anyone and how dare you judge me allowing everyone to be their own critic and judge doesn't bode well for a team buying into and working towards one goal common goal. No wonders no one stood up for one another when stuff happened during the season. They had no body leading, speaking up and clearly were not all marching to the same tune, just following the beat of their own drum....

there is something to this - but i don't know that the team as currently comprised is irreversibly incapable of creating the right culture in "the room" - it may just be more a matter of bringing in an older alpha dog or two and then having someone from the pre-existing younger ranks develop that part of his game/persona.

It's worth noting that Soupy wasn't just talking about this year's team. He was also talking about the 2 prior teams, each of which made it to the conference finals. They must have been doing something right. Meanwhile, the accountable Sharks are looking pretty vulnerable to getting bounced in the 1st round, and their stars (Thornton, Marleau and Soupy) are disappearing. My point is simply that the Sabres aren't as bad as your post might imply, and the Sharks aren't as great as Soupy's quote might imply.

there is something to this - but i don't know that the team as currently comprised is irreversibly incapable of creating the right culture in "the room" - it may just be more a matter of bringing in an older alpha dog or two and then having someone from the pre-existing younger ranks develop that part of his game/persona.

I agree. We aren't that far away from being really good again.

Newly aquired veteran leadership? I can dream can't I?

You can dream and you can expect it to happen. I recommend listening to the season-ending presser on the audio vault. Darcy made it clear that they were going to try to bring in veteran leadership from outside the organization.

It's a dream I've had for over a season now. Won't ever happen, but it's a nice dream and it keeps me happy ;)

See above, negative Nancy.

It's worth noting that Soupy wasn't just talking about this year's team. He was also talking about the 2 prior teams, each of which made it to the conference finals.

It does highlight an inherent and obvious detail. He was a member of those teams lacking an earnest voice.

I wonder who the eloquent guy is in San Jose? He needs to find his pipes about 7 PM tonight.

They are in rough shape if they repeat their play from Sunday in tonight's game.

b]However one thing I can tell you is [/b]this..2 weeks ago the reason they were winning was Joe Thornton according to everyone here, not Brian Campbell, now they are losing and all the sudden its Campbells fault..LOL....The Sharks have been choking for years one player is not the answer...Maybe if Thornton and Marleau stepped up they would win..But dont spin it all on Campbell. I know thats what you do though..

I seem to remember a lot of people saying that, with the defensive minded and built team like San Jose, Campbell was a good addition because he brought what they were missing and they had the team to cover his weaknesses. He definitely helped them down the stretch, but was not the only piece added to the puzzle. Now, clearly he is not the only thing bringing down the ship either, but his weaknesses are being highlighted on the replays of their goals against and his strengths haven't been seen on their goals for. At his price right now, I am sure the Sharks still feel like they are getting a good deal. However, the whole deal with Soupy has been about what he will get this summer. The end of the season seemed to help him there, but the playoffs have definitely taken him back down.

Don't get me wrong I was not saying it was forever damaged and I agree we are just a couple older and emerging players away from having that chemistry and drive back. Last I was including last years playoffs were we all saw the first real apparent signs of this with the way we went out of the playoff round against Ottawa even with Briere, Drury and Campbell on that team.

IMO this coming year being out could be the motivation that brings the team together with some of the small adjustments allot here agree on for an "Us against the world" push to make some noise in next years playoff's....

Last I do find it telling that none of those players looked to themselves and appear to have stepped up to create that culture last year or even this year in campbells case.......

<_< So you aren't watching and you're calling me out. Prick.

Sorry..I just find it funny that when Campbell got traded and they went on their 16 game winning streak it was all about everyone but Brian and how they wouldve done it without him..LOL....Now they are down 2-1 in a series and its because of Campbell..I dont need to watch it to see what your opinions are and how one sided they are..Keep the names coming... :rolleyes:

Look, nobody is disputing that Campbell is a good player.

I just think that when he's due for a payraise like that, it's natural to start looking at the shortcomings in his game, and if those 7 mill. will actually give you value for your money.

It's also only natural for people to expect him not to have those shortcomings at all, seeing as he's been labeled "a star player".

I agree..I dont think he is worth 7 mill but its not my money either..As a matter of fact with the cap going up and up and up we as fans should want them to spend and win a cup..Not 24 just ONE..Spend it and win it..Then be competitve..I think the fans have more than earned it in Buffalo..They have shelled it out with their lungs and their POCKETBOOK..Now they should reward them and show them it was worth it...They turtled and went in their shell when it was time to pay...Now we have people crying at each other on this board over Campbell salary or whoever..Its ridiculous..The ones we should be venting or anger towards is the greedy bastards laughin their way to the bank with our money...I work hard for it and I want my reward..LOL

Sorry..I just find it funny that when Campbell got traded and they went on their 16 game winning streak it was all about everyone but Brian and how they wouldve done it without him..LOL....Now they are down 2-1 in a series and its because of Campbell..I dont need to watch it to see what your opinions are and how one sided they are..Keep the names coming... :rolleyes:

You admit to being ignorant. Fine. It is okay to be ignorant.

You admit to not being interested enough to pay attention. Fine.

But when you are willfully ignorant and inattentive and insist on having a strong opinion about it, and compound

it by accusing others of something they haven't done without reference. (me in particular) I think it fits.

Now step back and tell me that isn't prickish behavior.

I agree..I dont think he is worth 7 mill but its not my money either..As a matter of fact with the cap going up and up and up we as fans should want them to spend and win a cup..Not 24 just ONE..Spend it and win it..Then be competitve..I think the fans have more than earned it in Buffalo..They have shelled it out with their lungs and their POCKETBOOK..Now they should reward them and show them it was worth it...They turtled and went in their shell when it was time to pay...Now we have people crying at each other on this board over Campbell salary or whoever..Its ridiculous..The ones we should be venting or anger towards is the greedy bastards laughin their way to the bank with our money...I work hard for it and I want my reward..LOL

But the whole damn predicament is that we'll never win anything if we blow our entire cap on players like Brian Campbell.

It's not what you spend, it's who you spend it on - Having two Thomas Vanek's on the team won't ever win us a cup.

You need to spend your big bucks on players who will get things done, and Campbell more than proved he wasn't that guy during our 11-game slump. End of story.

You admit to being ignorant. Fine. It is okay to be ignorant.

You admit to not being interested enough to pay attention. Fine.

But when you are willfully ignorant and inattentive and insist on having a strong opinion about it, and compound

it by accusing others of something they haven't done without reference. (me in particular) I think it fits.

Now step back and tell me that isn't prickish behavior.

Please.....Stop the name calling....It doesnt become you..I am sorry i Offended you in seeing what is obvious..Deny any of what I said .....If you dont like him fine..I cant find it amusing the way youre piling on him even though he's already gone...???? Get over it..And oh I am sorry I dont stay up till 12 or 1 am to watch a hockeygame that has no bearing on my team or that I even care..I have a job that requires me to be up early and if it was the Sabes I would be watching but since obviously I would be watching only to refute people who already made up their minds about somene i will pass..Better things to do...

But the whole damn predicament is that we'll never win anything if we blow our entire cap on players like Brian Campbell.

It's not what you spend, it's who you spend it on - Having two Thomas Vanek's on the team won't ever win us a cup.

You need to spend your big bucks on players who will get things done, and Campbell more than proved he wasn't that guy during our 11-game slump. End of story.

Ok..You didnt have to spend 7 mill on him..They coulda had him for Arbys..5 for 5..Now whats the argument

Please.....Stop the name calling....It doesnt become you..I am sorry i Offended you in seeing what is obvious..Deny any of what I said .....If you dont like him fine..I cant find it amusing the way youre piling on him even though he's already gone...???? Get over it..And oh I am sorry I dont stay up till 12 or 1 am to watch a hockeygame that has no bearing on my team or that I even care..I have a job that requires me to be up early and if it was the Sabes I would be watching but since obviously I would be watching only to refute people who already made up their minds about somene i will pass..Better things to do...

First find where I have done that.

No? You probably have better things to do. Right?

Thought so. <_<

First find where I have done that.

No? You probably have better things to do. Right?

Thought so. <_<

I need to apologize to you..I couldnt figure out why you got so hostile..The comment on the last paragraph was an assinine comment..My bad..It was meant for a general comment and you are correct you havent ...

I dont need to watch it to see what your opinions are and how one sided they are

now for my own show of ignorance: i haven't read through all of this exchange, but will say this about it: the comment above, standing alone, reveals ignorance on a level more general than the issue of brian campbell; x is among the most balanced and astute posters on SS. you can certainly disagree with the guy, but there's no reasoned basis for calling him out as being one-sided, persistently equivocal and/or ill-informed.

where's that third man in emoticon?

Whats considered breaking the bank?

Making a non-impact player, most likely with little development left in him, the second highest paid player on your team.

If you're going to spend money, do it on proven winners - Not on guys who had a great hit in the playoffs two years ago, and logs mega-minutes because they're excellent skaters.

Vanek is a prime example of money spent the wrong way, but at least there a chance he might pan out down the stretch. Campbell is most likely done developing.

Connolly is another ill-advised salary decision.

Again, I would LOVE to have Campbell on my team at a decent pricetag, and let him bring what he brings but if I have a choice between paying Brian 5-6-7 mill. or look elsewhere for someone to spend that money on? I'll take my chances looking for someone who brings more leadership and all-round game to my team.

I know you're a great fan of his, and he's solid for what he brings, but he is not a game-breaker, and as such shouldn't be a bank-breaker either.

The fact that our winning percentage after him leaving was nearly identical to our winning percentage before the trade, speaks volumes IMHO.

Archived