Campbell's Spin-O-Rama with 20 seconds left at his blueline

matter2003

WTF was he thinking?!?!?

Luckily for him, Tanguay missed the empty net, but it effectively wasted 12-13 seconds off the clock before they could get the puck back...

Now I know what Ruff was talking about when he said something like "Campbell trying that spin move of his in that situation makes you wonder where his head is"...

I think Ruff would have blown a gasket if he had witnessed that in a playoff game...

he still leads the sharks in ice time so far. and was plus 1 today.

Maybe he could have meant 3 pts for us in the final 25 games?

Those last 25 games were a very small factor in the decision to sign or trade him.

Yes, he was a plus one, but he did very little on those two even-strength "goals for" that he was on the ice for and played a big part in the "goal against".

Well, I guess we'll never know.

What we DO know however, is that he meant nothing when it came to breaking our monster losing streak, which effectively is what put us out of the race, not how we fared in the last 25.

Now, I'm ready to accept something like this from a player making 2-3 mill. but from someone who expects to get paid 7 mill.? Not a chance in hell.

I like Campbell as a player but one thing I thought the Sabres missed from him was his leadership. As I watch San Jose get physically pushed around and Campbell lead them in ice time I wonder if his leadership is in part to blame.

What if Campbell has 1 point and the Sharks lose in the first round again. You think they are going to pony up the possible $8 million he could command July 1? I think he was brought in to take them deep into the playoffs so I am curious to see what they will do if he fails at that. (Not that it would be his fault)

What if Campbell has 1 point and the Sharks lose in the first round again. You think they are going to pony up the possible $8 million he could command July 1?

Someone will give him at least 6 mill a year, which is more than Buffalo wanted to pay him. That 8 mill talk is just ridiculous.

What if Campbell has 1 point and the Sharks lose in the first round again. You think they are going to pony up the possible $8 million he could command July 1? I think he was brought in to take them deep into the playoffs so I am curious to see what they will do if he fails at that. (Not that it would be his fault)

He and Thornton will take much of the blame. Even the announcers were pointing out how those two both had find ways to contribute. They said something about needing their big stars, Thornton and Campbell, to step up and prove themselves.

Someone will give him at least 6 mill a year, which is more than Buffalo wanted to pay him. That 8 mill talk is just ridiculous.

You are probably right I guess my point was just if he was brought in to be the difference and it turned out he wasnt, Do you think the Sharks will really seek to lock him up for alot of money long term or just let him go?

You are probably right I guess my point was just if he was brought in to be the difference and it turned out he wasnt, Do you think the Sharks will really seek to lock him up for alot of money long term or just let him go?

I see him walking, especially if they are a first round exit.

I think they lock him up.

Anyone remember Mike Grier ever fighting? Not saying he can't. It just seems announcers always have the perception that he's a fighter. And that has never really been his game.

Anyone remember Mike Grier ever fighting? Not saying he can't. It just seems announcers always have the perception that he's a fighter. And that has never really been his game.

Not as a Sabre, no -- check out this history for an interesting confirmation of the same (maybe Drury had a calming effect on him?).

I can't speak to what announcers seem to think of him -- people who know their stuff, though, know that he's a punishing seek and destroy guy in the course of play -- I think TSN actually did a piece to that effect during our 2005-2006 run?

He and Thornton will take much of the blame. Even the announcers were pointing out how those two both had find ways to contribute. They said something about needing their big stars, Thornton and Campbell, to step up and prove themselves.

Thornton being the key to that team is why I haven't picked them to go past the 2nd round since the lockout ended. Great regular season performer, lousy in the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see how they react to losing last night. If they suck it up and come back to win the series (they're only down 2-1) I may either revise my opinion of Thornton or my evaluation of whether the other horses there can overcome his "leadership".

Maybe if we traded him during the 11 game slide we would have gotten those 3 pts. He was awful then. Oh wait, his mind was elsewhere??? Whatever.

Fishing for the puck like he did on the game winner with less than 4 to go was a disgraceful defensive play. As for Thornton, he's got to be one of the biggest playoff chokers in league history. Seriously, he's just terrible when games really matter.

Maybe if we traded him during the 11 game slide we would have gotten those 3 pts. He was awful then. Oh wait, his mind was elsewhere??? Whatever.

Fishing for the puck like he did on the game winner with less than 4 to go was a disgraceful defensive play. As for Thornton, he's got to be one of the biggest playoff chokers in league history. Seriously, he's just terrible when games really matter.

Much like Max.

Oh wait, Max is terrible even when it doesn't matter.

Not as a Sabre, no -- check out this history for an interesting confirmation of the same (maybe Drury had a calming effect on him?).

I can't speak to what announcers seem to think of him -- people who know their stuff, though, know that he's a punishing seek and destroy guy in the course of play -- I think TSN actually did a piece to that effect during our 2005-2006 run?

Interesting site. He has had 27 fights in 2% of his NHL games, and none in Buffalo and only 7 since leaving Edmonton. I have never seen him drop them in a game.

Canadian team calling the game, perhaps more of an Edmonton frame of reference.

I can't say I thought it was a racist thing, Ink.

Archived