Campbell's Spin-O-Rama with 20 seconds left at his blueline

matter2003

Making a non-impact player, most likely with little development left in him, the second highest paid player on your team.

If you're going to spend money, do it on proven winners - Not on guys who had a great hit in the playoffs two years ago, and logs mega-minutes because they're excellent skaters.

Vanek is a prime example of money spent the wrong way, but at least there a chance he might pan out down the stretch. Campbell is most likely done developing.

Connolly is another ill-advised salary decision.

Again, I would LOVE to have Campbell on my team at a decent pricetag, and let him bring what he brings but if I have a choice between paying Brian 5-6-7 mill. or look elsewhere for someone to spend that money on? I'll take my chances looking for someone who brings more leadership and all-round game to my team.

I know you're a great fan of his, and he's solid for what he brings, but he is not a game-breaker, and as such shouldn't be a bank-breaker either.

The fact that our winning percentage after him leaving was nearly identical to our winning percentage before the trade, speaks volumes IMHO.

We will pay more for less this offseason..Guarantee..Or they wont spend at all..If thats what you want then thats ok...It will be a rebuildng year and theres nothing wrong with that if thats what you like..I am not a huge Campbell fan which will surprise you..I just look at him as player..And what he brings and I am sorry he will not be replaced..The players they have are younger make more mistakes and will need time to groom..But if youre willing to be happy waitng then ok..You will have those players for 2 yrs in their prime, max, and the Sabes better get it right this time..

We will pay more for less this offseason..Guarantee..Or they wont spend at all..If thats what you want then thats ok...It will be a rebuildng year and theres nothing wrong with that if thats what you like..I am not a huge Campbell fan which will surprise you..I just look at him as player..And what he brings and I am sorry he will not be replaced..The players they have are younger make more mistakes and will need time to groom..But if youre willing to be happy waitng then ok..You will have those players for 2 yrs in their prime, max, and the Sabes better get it right this time..

Chances are you're right that we won't spend at all, and if that is the case then it'll be a lousy hockey move, IMHO.

But in a morbid twist of logic, I would rather not spend at all than spend on someone who I know isn't going to bring us closer to a cup, without someone being brought in anyway.

So there's no real difference in the two scenarios, other than I won't have to scream at my TV if Campbell messes up a play, like I've done when Vanek misses an open cage.

Chances are you're right that we won't spend at all, and if that is the case then it'll be a lousy hockey move, IMHO.

But in a morbid twist of logic, I would rather not spend at all than spend on someone who I know isn't going to bring us closer to a cup, without someone being brought in anyway.

So there's no real difference in the two scenarios, other than I won't have to scream at my TV if Campbell messes up a play, like I've done when Vanek misses an open cage.

I just think that they made such collosal errors in keeping their own that they are in big trouble..No one leader is gonna come in and fix this..They need 2 or 3 solid players to come in and lead..1 or 2 on D and 1 big time center.. And they are gonna have to pay em..

Brian Campbell is already on the roster for next year. He changed his name to Andrej Sekera and took a pay cut.

...and became marginally better in his own zone.

And is seven years younger, meaning he can still get better in both ends of the ice, whereas Brian Campbell v1.0 has maxed out in some areas...

So is Brian still screwing this team up or what? I didnt get to see their game last night?

Expectations for him seem to be leveling off, they were so high for him that they were not really possible to sustain.

I would say that they have lessened his load.

He's was closer to 20 min than the near 30 minutes of ice time he's been getting in the last month.

Ehrhoff looks ready to play.

And by the way....there are rumors that the Sens will let Redden go and try to get into the

Campbell sweepstakes. I'd be happy to see him stay out West.

Expectations for him seem to be leveling off, they were so high for him that they were not really possible to sustain.

I would say that they have lessened his load.

He's was closer to 20 min than the near 30 minutes of ice time he's been getting in the last month.

Ehrhoff looks ready to play.

I was watching the Avs game at my friends house last night he is a huge avs fan,I noticed Liles was last on theyre team in Ice time for defenseman so I asked him why that was..He said he has a habit of real bad giveaways and def lapses, so unless its a powerplay he isnt out there as much...

I was watching the Avs game at my friends house last night he is a huge avs fan,I noticed Liles was last on theyre team in Ice time for defenseman so I asked him why that was..He said he has a habit of real bad giveaways and def lapses, so unless its a powerplay he isnt out there as much...

He's Tony Lydman with a little more glitter.

I said in another thread that by the third time the announcer had referred to him by his full name, John-Michael Liles, I was glad that he got limited ice time (and knew I never wanted him as a Sabre.) "Passes over to John-Michael Liles ... John-Michael Liles send it up to ... a shot by John-Michael Liles ..." Man that was annoying. For #$%^@'s sake, call him Liles during the play-by-play, please!

Sorry, stupid rant.

Lydman has been a real dissapointment for me..I just dont see what the Sabres see in him at all..I see no positives for having him around other than to take up space..LOL

A bad year for him. And a disappointing year. There are positives though.

He can be physical and block shots.

He needs to manage his game better. Last year he was clearly on the top

shutdown pairing with Tallinder. Good chemistry, good exchanges. Much

calmer.

This year he was just manic carrying the puck. Maybe he was asked to make

more plays - but he would have 4 good periods and then 1 where he would get

all his bad plays for the week out of the way. He probably stays - and he needs

Tallinder to be a much more reliable partner esp. on weak side defense.

It would be nice to have the depth to get him back to 17-18 minutes a game.

But I really hate the idea of bringing in Liles.

Spacek is more talented and really took a year to adjust.

I said in another thread that by the third time the announcer had referred to him by his full name, John-Michael Liles, I was glad that he got limited ice time (and knew I never wanted him as a Sabre.) "Passes over to John-Michael Liles ... John-Michael Liles send it up to ... a shot by John-Michael Liles ..." Man that was annoying. For #$%^@'s sake, call him Liles during the play-by-play, please!

Sorry, stupid rant.

Nope, not stupid, I was annoyed by the same thing. Use just the last names and describe a little more action please. Especially with that series being a good one to watch, why ruin it with bad play by play?

Nope, not stupid, I was annoyed by the same thing. Use just the last names and describe a little more action please. Especially with that series being a good one to watch, why ruin it with bad play by play?

Where did you goto?? I thought you left us forever..Lol

That play is insignificant.

The real reason we won't be OVER paying this guy is the play he made on the winning goal. Horrendous defense. Horrendous.

I can't agree more. He is a hell of a puck moving Offensive D man, but overall he blows as a clear cut Defenseman. He takes the body in the corners, but can't clear anybody out of the crease or really defend one on one.

Here are my random thoughts on Soupy:

1. He's a very good defenseman. He's not nearly as good at hitting, shotblocking, clearing the front of the net, etc. in the defensive zone as Pronger, Chara, Phaneuf etc., but I don't think anyone is really arguing that he is. But he brings a lot to the table. And one thing he brings that some posters here don't want to give him credit for is that clearing the zone by outskating the forechecker to the puck, making a nice pass, and/or skating it up the ice is by definition good defensive zone play. It's not as hard-edged as a big hit or shotblock, but clearing the zone and turning a defensive situation into an offensive situation is the essence of the defenseman's role. It's why SJ -- one of the best teams in the NHL -- is playing him 26+ minutes per night (and why Lindy gave him a ton of ice time as well).

2. I completely disagree that Soupy has "no shot". He has an excellent slapper from the blue line.

3. I doubt Soupy will get $8 million per year, but someone will give him $40-$45 million for 6-7 years. And good for him. He's a really good guy. There is no reason in the world for people here to be taking shots at him.

4. Here's an interesting quote from Soupy from the Globe and Mail (

Linky):

To Campbell, the biggest difference between the Sabres, his former team, and the Sharks, his current team, is, "
the accountability inside the dressing room. It's probably the first team I've been on where guys will speak up and say something and you take it to heart. It's a big change that way, probably the biggest thing."

What does that say about the Sabres' locker room during the past couple of years? I suppose it means that Drury and Briere led more by example than by calling their teammates out in front of everyone? I wonder who on the Sharks is the ballbuster?

I missed this when it was originally discussed. What I think is being misinterpreted here is that Brian didn't mean no one spoke up. What he was saying was that when leaders on team tried to speak up, their impassioned pleas were not being taken to heart by some of the other players in the team. I'll let you decide who he was talking about.

I missed this when it was originally discussed. What I think is being misinterpreted here is that Brian didn't mean no one spoke up. What he was saying was that when leaders on team tried to speak up, their impassioned pleas were not being taken to heart by some of the other players in the team. I'll let you decide who he was talking about.

interesting. any further info to support your interpretation? Not saying I disagree, just curious.

Archived