Paul Hamilton on Ryan Miller this morning on WGR

LabattBlue

He said that Miller wants to reach out to Brodeur for advice on how to stay mentally sharp while playing 70+ games. This further confirms my belief that Corsi is just along for the ride. WTF are we paying him for? Shouldn't he be able to provide Miller with some direction in this regard or is he just there to make sure Miller has all his equipment on before going on the ice?

He said that Miller wants to reach out to Brodeur for advice on how to stay mentally sharp while playing 70+ games. This further confirms my belief that Corsi is just along for the ride. WTF are we paying him for? Shouldn't he be able to provide Miller with some direction in this regard or is he just there to make sure Miller has all his equipment on before going on the ice?

Hmm, this raises a couple of questions :

Why would Brodeur help the goalie of a conference "rival" team? I mean, I could understand it if he were retired, but at this moment in time?

Also, it's not like Brodeur's had much success these last few years when playing 70+ games.

Does this mean we're resigning TBO?

And finally, it appears Jim Corsi's title of goalie coach is just a fancy way of saying he makes sure both goals are on their moorings during practice.

John Vogl posted a similar comment from Miller last month in the News' Sabres blog:

*He wouldn't mind getting tips from other goalies on how to handle playing every night, but he thinks the Sabres' talent will prohibit that: "If Marty [brodeur is] around, it'd be fun to pick his brain. But I don't think he's going to give too many pointers being an Eastern Conference guy. [i'm] a goalie on a team that's got young talent and is going to be giving him hassles for a long time."

Excellent article on Miller this morning, with some good insights into his mental state and analysis of his play. Maybe part of his desire to talk with LQ about the direction of the franchise includes the goaltender coach situation.

Well, after next year when he is in Detroit he wont be in the same conference, and they would only meet in the Cup finals - (that was just a joke, calm down everyone)

I don't see it as a shot at Corsi, or that theres anything wrong with Corsi. Maybe he just wants the advise from someone who has regularly faced 10+ games and been successful. Sometimes one person is not going to have all the answers for you, and sometimes you just need to go to others to get help. So if a player talks to another player for tips, or to a former coach, or gets a personal trainer, does that mean the teams coach/trainer isn't doing a good job with them?

Now I realize that, obviously, Miller and Brodeur are competitors on opposing teams. But I have a thought.

Is it so far-fetched to think that maybe people at the pinnacle of their sport want to share with each other tips, strategies, and thoughts on how to get the most out of their performance? Especially goalies. There are so few of them, they are like an exclusive club and why wouldn't they want each member to be the best that they can be?

The idea that Brodeur wouldn't want to share advice with Miller because they are competitors is a little immature, I think.

What Miller and other top goalies need to strengthen their mental game is going to come from inside their own minds and souls, not from a goalie coach. Don't most players of elite status in any sport transcend their coach anyways? When they get to that level, I would think they look more to themselves and their peers to improve their game, not the coach who takes care of the day to day stuff for them.

Now I realize that, obviously, Miller and Brodeur are competitors on opposing teams. But I have a thought.

Is it so far-fetched to think that maybe people at the pinnacle of their sport want to share with each other tips, strategies, and thoughts on how to get the most out of their performance? Especially goalies. There are so few of them, they are like an exclusive club and why wouldn't they want each member to be the best that they can be?

The idea that Brodeur wouldn't want to share advice with Miller because they are competitors is a little immature, I think.

You are 100% correct in my opinion.

:lol:

I've been beating that drum as well on these threads.... I really seem to recall when Lindy convinced managment to get a full time goalie coach that he was not our first choice..... maybe it's time to get a real goalie coach... i think I recall some of the more notable coaches do not sign exclusive coaching contracts but rather do consulting gigs where they do so many hours and come in for multiple sessions over period of time.... who does Brodeur use ? I'm sure he has a Zen master that's who the team should seek out...

Jacques Caron

Caron career he was a up and down NHL'er minor leaguer , who quit hockey a number of times as the depression of careers up and downs got to him. In his last stint as a goalie he was hospitalized because of this. Clearly he is a most emotional man, but one who has had success over his career and goalie coach , if not goalie.

I've been beating that drum as well on these threads.... I really seem to recall when Lindy convinced managment to get a full time goalie coach that he was not our first choice..... maybe it's time to get a real goalie coach... i think I recall some of the more notable coaches do not sign exclusive coaching contracts but rather do consulting gigs where they do so many hours and come in for multiple sessions over period of time.... who does Brodeur use ? I'm sure he has a Zen master that's who the team should seek out...

I guess Francois worked with Garth Snow?

He has encouraged his goalies to wear the biggest allowable gear.

I think it was after Giguere came from nowhere and had that great postseason run. And yes, Giguere had GINORMOUS equipment back then!

I think it was after Giguere came from nowhere and had that great postseason run. And yes, Giguere had GINORMOUS equipment back then!

Patrick Roy wasn't exactly wearing tiny pads either. There were rumors he was (or wanted to) webbing his jersey sleeves to the body, but settled on the XXXXXXXXL jersey instead. Luongo has been accused of pushing the limits of equipment rules as well.

I was just thinking of Snow's "Legion of Doom" shoulder pads.

I think Brodeur would say something like, well, Ryan with the defense I have had in front of me over the years and playing the trap system, it's pretty easy to stay mentally focused. Now, when your defense isn't all that great and you are facing odd man breaks all night long, that could get a little stressful on the brain. Ahother huge help for me is knowing that when some punk like Darcy Tucker takes a run at me, I know 5 guys will be there in seconds to take care of him. Other than that, I got nothing for ya kid.

What Miller and other top goalies need to strengthen their mental game is going to come from inside their own minds and souls, not from a goalie coach. Don't most players of elite status in any sport transcend their coach anyways? When they get to that level, I would think they look more to themselves and their peers to improve their game, not the coach who takes care of the day to day stuff for them.

This happens a lot in baseball, too. Pitchers will share their knowledge with other pitchers, regardless of what team they all play for. Same goes with hitters. However, it's rare (if at all) that pitchers share their knowledge with hitters or vice versa.

Generally, athletes at that level have a common respect for each other and would want to see their peers succeed. Considering that Marty Brodeur is as professional as they come, I don't see why he wouldn't allow Ryan to pick his brain.

I think Brodeur would say something like, well, Ryan with the defense I have had in front of me over the years and playing the trap system, it's pretty easy to stay mentally focused. Now, when your defense isn't all that great and you are facing odd man breaks all night long, that could get a little stressful on the brain. Ahother huge help for me is knowing that when some punk like Darcy Tucker takes a run at me, I know 5 guys will be there in seconds to take care of him. Other than that, I got nothing for ya kid.

Outstanding.

This would have been my response if I could have worded it so perfectly. The only thing I would add is that Miller is a student of the game and competition in general. He has gravitated before to those whose accomplishments he admires.

This would have been my response if I could have worded it so perfectly. The only thing I would add is that Miller is a student of the game and competition in general. He has gravitated before to those whose accomplishments he admires.

Bonus points for nice use of the word Gravitated..... ;)

I think the best possible thing to do is find a decent back-up that can play 15-20 games so Miller can be in top form instead of loading his lanky butt up to the point of exhaustion. There's got to be some UFA we can pick-up that fits the bill.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Miller is a 70 plus game goaltender. If he wants to play 70 plus games he better start hitting the weight room with more regularity. I think he's not physically strong enough to handle 70 games and due to not being strong enough he gets worn down quicker than a bigger goaltender like Luongo for example. It seemed to me the last month of the season Miller didn't have his legs under him and that's why you saw him swimming around the crease a lot more than normal. I think he was physically spent. I think we'd be better off finding a capable backup that can play somewhere around 20-25 games per season to keep Miller fresh for the playoffs.

I don't think Miller is a 70 plus game goaltender. If he wants to play 70 plus games he better start hitting the weight room with more regularity. I think he's not physically strong enough to handle 70 games and due to not being strong enough he gets worn down quicker than a bigger goaltender like Luongo for example. It seemed to me the last month of the season Miller didn't have his legs under him and that's why you saw him swimming around the crease a lot more than normal. I think he was physically spent. I think we'd be better off finding a capable backup that can play somewhere around 20-25 games per season to keep Miller fresh for the playoffs.

Here we go with the too skinny argument again.

Archived