If anyone gets fired this offseason, who should it be?

Mike Oxhurtz

In my opinion, Larry Quinn & Darcy Regier should get fired. I already know the argument about why Regier should stay, 4 EC finals, but we need someone who has better contracting management skills, and someone who can make better deals for players. Regier has done a great job of finding gems (but I give a lot of credit to Ruff for molding them), and is a great talent scout when it comes to drafting players. But Regier has not traded or acquired via free agency for a player that is (what I consider) a top 10 player in their position (winger, defensemen, goalie...etc). But then again, the last time I remember us getting a is a high-caliber player was when we got Pat LaFontaine.

Just LQ. I like Darcy, I just feel like his hands are tied sometimes.

And whoever our current Special Teams coach is, IF there even is one!

Hopefully LQ gets fired, and we'll see what Regier can do. If it's still the same problems, then it's DR's time to go.

In my opinion, Larry Quinn & Darcy Regier should get fired. I already know the argument about why Regier should stay, 4 EC finals, but we need someone who has better contracting management skills, and someone who can make better deals for players. Regier has done a great job of finding gems (but I give a lot of credit to Ruff for molding them), and is a great talent scout when it comes to drafting players. But Regier has not traded or acquired via free agency for a player that is (what I consider) a top 10 player in their position (winger, defensemen, goalie...etc). But then again, the last time I remember us getting a is a high-caliber player was when we got Pat LaFontaine.

Quinn should get the boot so bad, he'd couldn't sit for weeks.

Then give Darcy a season to prove he can sign other players than soft finesse guys, if not - Bye Darcy.

While I agree Quinn is a problem, his departure would change little becuase the tone is set by Tommy G. The guy saved the franchise and I am forever grateful, but his business model for this franchise is not set up to consistently challenge for a Stanley Cup. Darcy's hands would still be tied compared to the teams he is competing against.

Who says that Darcys hands are tied by anyone? Whenever he speaks, it sounds like everything is going how he wants it to, he doesn't sound like a guy that is being held back from doing things.

And besides fan speculation because they despise him, I don't know how controling or how much sway Quinn actually has with the team and its personel. If hands are being tied, I tend to believe its coming from the top, TG, in that he has given Darcy a budget to work with, but I don't think anyone is holding Darcy back from making a move or signing a guy. I have never heard a player leave and say that they negotiations were going good until Quinn showed up.

its not like the previous situation in Toronto where the GM's hands really were tied due to the owners (not saying JFJ was good, the guy did screw them by handing out no trade clauses like candy)

Ruff won't be fired, nor should he, the worst that would happen is he quits or retires, but that is almost unlikely to happen. Quinn isn't going anywhere either, he is TG's right hand man, if they do decide a change is needed, and they won't, it would be Darcy, he is not getting the job done, and could be costing TG some season tickets and jersey/,erchandise sales this offseason

While I agree Quinn is a problem, his departure would change little becuase the tone is set by Tommy G. The guy saved the franchise and I am forever grateful, but his business model for this franchise is not set up to consistently challenge for a Stanley Cup. Darcy's hands would still be tied compared to the teams he is competing against.

Muckler would be an interesting replacement for Quinn. Muckler has done it for two cash strapped teams.

Muckler would be an interesting replacement for Quinn. Muckler has done it for two cash strapped teams.

A former Buffalo coach coming back to rebuild a team he lives near (he still lives in the neighborhood)

I would not have a problem with that, and he also seems like the kind of guy that if Quinn really was a meddler, would tell him to buzz off and let him do it. He made the Rangers a good team, and the Senators (a team just like Buffalo that was saved from Bankruptcy at the same time) into a good team that doesn't rely on the league enforcing the rules to a 'T' to be successful

A former Buffalo coach coming back to rebuild a team he lives near (he still lives in the neighborhood)

I would not have a problem with that, and he also seems like the kind of guy that if Quinn really was a meddler, would tell him to buzz off and let him do it. He made the Rangers a good team, and the Senators (a team just like Buffalo that was saved from Bankruptcy at the same time) into a good team that doesn't rely on the league enforcing the rules to a 'T' to be successful

I agree, I always liked Muckler, and would love to see him back in the organization in some capacity.

yeah, he's been coasting on his reputation for years now :lol:

Frankly, his performance is slipping. He used to come down repelling screaming fast.

Now it is all "doidy doidy doidy" like we couldn't replace him with a stuffed Buffalo.

Those long contracts make mascots complacent.

Frankly, his performance is slipping. He used to come down repelling screaming fast.

Now it is all "doidy doidy doidy" like we couldn't replace him with a stuffed Buffalo.

Those long contracts make mascots complacent.

Sometimes he doesn't even repel down. When i went to the game last Wednesday it seemed like I got a scaled down budget version of the home opener. Sabretooth didn't come down from the rafters, he was just standing around on the ice, some young (underage, although that didn't stop a fan from yelling take your top off as she sang the Canadian National Anthem) girl sang the anthems.......

Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Isn't there some sort of "promotion" Tom can give Larry to get him out of the Sabres' day-to-day operations, like Colonel Sink gave Captain Sobel in Band of Brothers?

Band of Brothers. Now those guys were tough! Think any of them could still skate?

Seriously, what a great miniseries that was, and it was based on true stories. Wonderful. Heroes.

Archived