Maybe a new coach IS needed?

deluca67

As much as I like Lindy Ruff as a coach and have defended him on this board, I find it difficult to defend the lack of emotion this team has shown not only last night but all season. The Sabres maybe too cool, calm and collected for their own good. Sometimes you need to run on emotion and get caught up into it.

Maybe Ruff has coached the emotion from the team. I look at a player like Guastad who was supposed to be our Chris Neal. He is more like Chris Gratton now. I look at the defense and their is not one imposing figure back there. Talinder and Kalinin have the size but wouldn't break an egg during the game if you sewed into their uniform. I look at Steve Berier who came with a ton of emotion in his first few games and now looks just like another Sabre drone void of passion.

For those who will wish to turn this into a Briere/Drury issue, don't bother. The team played the same when they were here.

Maybe it is time for the change.

At this point no angle should be ignored or overlooked. I have questions about some of the stuff Lindy has done over the last year or so, but I'm not quite ready to call for Lindy's head. That being said, I think changes have to be made in system and player personnel, and possibly in the assistant coaches.

Sometimes you need to run on emotion and get caught up into it.

The return of Ted Nolan? I'm not buying it.

I agree, though, that Lindy could be suffering from some burnout following the loss of three key guys (who shall remain unnamed) - but a lengthy off-season may do wonders for that.

As much as I like Lindy Ruff as a coach and have defended him on this board, I find it difficult to defend the lack of emotion this team has shown not only last night but all season. The Sabres maybe too cool, calm and collected for their own good. Sometimes you need to run on emotion and get caught up into it.

Maybe Ruff has coached the emotion from the team. I look at a player like Guastad who was supposed to be our Chris Neal. He is more like Chris Gratton now. I look at the defense and their is not one imposing figure back there. Talinder and Kalinin have the size but wouldn't break an egg during the game if you sewed into their uniform. I look at Steve Berier who came with a ton of emotion in his first few games and now looks just like another Sabre drone void of passion.

For those who will wish to turn this into a Briere/Drury issue, don't bother. The team played the same when they were here.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but the Sabres have suffered from a distinct lack of emotion ever since the 1999 finals, with the possible exception of 00-01 and the definite exception of 05-06.

As for the reason why, I have no idea, but whatever's causing this runs deep.

If Lindy Ruff was coaching a team like Detroit, Colorado, Ottawa, or Philly, he would have had multiple Stanley Cup victories already.

You're right, it is time for a change, but it's not Lindy Ruff that needs to go, it's Larry Quinn and Darcy Regier. Besides Drury & Briere, look at how many key players we lost since the 05'-06' season, McKee, Dumont, Grier, Zubrus, Campbell, Biron. Losing those players made a huge impact, and the constant recycling of players is not working anymore. Maybe 2 seasons from now they will develop, plus some serious help on defense. But that falls on management, not the coach.

The return of Ted Nolan? I'm not buying it.

I agree, though, that Lindy could be suffering from some burnout following the loss of three key guys (who shall remain unnamed) - but a lengthy off-season may do wonders for that.

Ted Nolan is the other extreme and is not a coach I would ever want in Buffalo. There is a happy median.

Here are a few quick thoughts:

1) Why doesn't this team protect Ryan Miller.

2) When is the last time the Sabres had a player (I said player, Peters doesn't qualify) suspended for an overly aggressive hit.

3) Why was Ottawa so fresh in the later stages of Tuesdays game? Could it be they paid no physical price over the first 50+ minutes?

If Lindy Ruff was coaching a team like Detroit, Colorado, Ottawa, or Philly, he would have had multiple Stanley Cup victories already.

You're right, it is time for a change, but it's not Lindy Ruff that needs to go, it's Larry Quinn and Darcy Regier. Besides Drury & Brie re, look at how many key players we lost since the 05'-06' season, McKee, Dumont, Grier, Zebras, Campbell, Biron. Losing those players made a huge impact, and the constant recycling of players is not working anymore. Maybe 2 seasons from now they will develop, plus some serious help on defense. But that falls on management, not the coach.

The Sabres played soft when those players where here. Mckee has been a waste since Super Mario knocked him out. Done of the other players you mentioned are overly tough. Grier maybe, how many times does he drop the gloves? Campbell throws one good hit every two years. The players who left are not the answer to my original thought.

The Sabres played soft when those players where here. Mckee has been a waste since Super Mario knocked him out. Done of the other players you mentioned are overly tough. Grier maybe, how many times does he drop the gloves? Campbell throws one good hit every two years. The players who left are not the answer to my original thought.

Grier and Zubrus were both physical players, that delivered big physical checks. So what, they didn't fight that much, what does that really matter? Dumont was good on the power play. Campbell was a solid defensemen with a good shot. Briere had the most points in one season since Pat Lafontaine (95'-96'). Drury had several game winning/tying goals when we really needed it, plus provided veteran leadership & experience. McKee (yes he was injury prone) was our best shot blocker. Biron was a solid backup, and he still hasn't been replaced (I'm glad he's a starter again in the NHL).

I don't understand how some people can say that these players were soft, and over-rated? Is it hatred because now these players are on other teams?

All the players I mentioned, I know that we weren't going to be able to keep every single of one them, but we should have been able to keep some of them. Constant recycling of players does not work. Our defense needs to be revamped, and we definitely need a solid backup goaltender. It would be a bonus to have more hardhitting forwards like Kaleta, but we need help with our defense & backup goalie first.

"fire the coach" is real easy to say... but who is available that is better than LINDY RUFF??? come on people, we have one of the best coaches in the game. probably 80% of the teams in the league would love to have him for their team.

you don't get the players to play with passion and emotion by getting rid of one of the best coaches in the league, especially when most of the players on the team have been "made" by Lindy's style... they get paid to play and care, if they don't, fire them.

"fire the coach" is real easy to say... but who is available that is better than LINDY RUFF??? come on people, we have one of the best coaches in the game. probably 80% of the teams in the league would love to have him for their team.

you don't get the players to play with passion and emotion by getting rid of one of the best coaches in the league, especially when most of the players on the team have been "made" by Lindy's style... they get paid to play and care, if they don't, fire them.

Thank you, my sentiments exactly!!!

How long have you been a Sabres fan? It is not about who is better, it is about who is CHEAPER. The list is long and not distiguished.

I don't think I am totally against the idea of a new coach, change for change's sake. But my greatest fear is that Lindy gets run out of town and we watch yet another former Sabre win a Cup with another team. If he goes, that will happen.

Can someone please explain to me how Zubrus was such a key player considering the fact that he was here for a couple months? I will never understand why people over-value him like that.

But anyway, the coaching situation has crossed my mind quite a bit over the last month or two (what a coincidence, the same amount of time that Zubrus was here). Many times this team doesn't look the least bit motivated out there. Sure, you can say there's a lack of leadership, but who is supposed to be the biggest leader on any team? That's right, the head coach.

This "fire the coach" thing is just too easy. They came to play last night for 55 mins. That breakdown clearly points to "on ice" leadership. I think Lindy has done a great job this year with the front office effing it up.

The loss of so many leaders on this team is showing! Hell, even Darcy admitted that we were f*cked this year in that press conference before Quinn jumped in.

I get that TG is running this as a business (you don't become a billionaire by not running things tight) but this is sports. It is an emotions driven industry. They need to show some kind of heart in running this team. You don't just let guys go like that and chalk it up to a business decision. Sure, they are spending money but it doesn't mean they are building a team.

Can someone please explain to me how Zubrus was such a key player considering the fact that he was here for a couple months? I will never understand why people over-value him like that.

I think we were just all so surprised to see a big body on the ice in a Sabre's uni that we made him bigger than he was. He did have a couple of good games in the playoffs, though.

Thank you, my sentiments exactly!!!

My sentiments as well. Take away Lindy and replace with who? Answer that and then we can have a conversation. I fault him for the poor power play that really has been bad, bad, bad since recent memory. But overall, I credit him for the Sabres being as competitive as they have been this year. As for last year, he was in the running for coach of the year and, of course, the year before he was coach of the year. Sorry, but I can't see this being Lindy's fault or that changing the coach is the answer.

Lindy is the one great thing about this franchise...lets' not run him out just yet! He may not be perfect, and may not handle every situation the way would we want, but he was dealt a seriously damaged deck of cards this season. I would be more tempted to pull the trigger on dumping Larry Quinn, befor Regeir or Ruff.

while I agree that it might be time to explore a coaching change, I honestly think a good dose of reality is needed for this team. I think the team is still spoiled by the last 2 seasons of success and are still drinking their own (we still are the best team in hockey)koolaid. Case in point, last night, they got cocky after building a 2 goal lead, and then assumed they got the win and backed off, and Ottawa roared back. This team needs to realize they aren't the beasts of the east anymore they gotta remember how to hustle and play an entire 60 minutes. Maybe a summer without playoff play will wake these guys up.

I also think Darcy has got to trim some fat we have too many similar role type players and some of them are going to have to go.

Kotalik, Max, and Connolly (I know they've all been our whipping boys lately) but its true, and I think two of those three need to go. I think Lydman and Tallinder no longer playoff each other, but are playing complacent. I'd like to see one of them go, preferably Lydman. Pratt while adequate could be replaced with a defenseman with better puck skills, but thats not priority and if there is no one out there I see no harm in keeping him. Another banger type dman would be nice.

So, I'd like the sabres to cut the fat and add a decent (preferably big) 2way center, (I think our skill on the wings are fine.) A banger dman, and

I'd say they've lost their emotion since Rob Ray left...although he wasn't born in Buffalo, but his heart was definitely in. It's funny, so much time is spent trying to find talent, but I bet if you just added a guy like Rob to this team, the Sabres would be 5-10 wins better.

But anyway, the coaching situation has crossed my mind quite a bit over the last month or two (what a coincidence, the same amount of time that Zubrus was here). Many times this team doesn't look the least bit motivated out there. Sure, you can say there's a lack of leadership, but who is supposed to be the biggest leader on any team? That's right, the head coach.

watch it. i think zubrus had 1 playoff goal and had 1 great sequence behind the net in the Rangers series when he refused to get pushed off the puck. that buys 3 years worth of goodwill. as sabres fans, and i am just as guilty, free agents that we lose are like memories of your last girlfriend- why did we break up, it was so great. but, never remembering the fights, nagging, having to go to her family's house at the holidays- all forgotten and only the good memories. same with zubrus- does anyone remember this guy having a key goal. when we trade max, the same will happen here next year- everyone will be like, remember when we had max. we will forget that he disappears for weeks, takes stupid penalties and does a lot of skating east-west, but little scoring.

I'd say they've lost their emotion since Rob Ray left...although he wasn't born in Buffalo, but his heart was definitely in. It's funny, so much time is spent trying to find talent, but I bet if you just added a guy like Rob to this team, the Sabres would be 5-10 wins better.

And the Sabres broadcasts would be that much better too! :rolleyes:

They may have played the same but they were in the playoffs...This team lost its heart 2 yrs ago when JP, Mckee and Grier left..They had enough left over last yr to be the best in the league point wise but that was a mask on their real problems of not having enough grit and toughness..Now they are what they are...PUTRID..If they still had Drury they might have made the playoffs but they still would have been without any team toughness and they wouldnt win the cup..So now we have a non lead heartless gutless nonplayoff team instead of a playoff team with no toughness..

The whole emotion thing and tough thing is so overblown. The team two years ago, while it had other flaws, was plenty tough enough. Most on this board would argue that if not for the injuries, that team would have won the Cup. How can you now say the team wasn't tough enough or didn't play with enough emotion. There are plenty tough guys who rarely, if ever, drop the gloves.

It is my belief that the core problem with this team is too many veterans like Max, Tim and Ales here floating between second, third and sometimes even fourth line and bring nothing to the table if they don't score. For all the accolades that Darcy gets, this team has become an assembly of talent rather than a true team. You look at yesterday, how many true centers on the team? How many left wings? Who is your shut down line when the Spezza line gets going? What about your top defensive pairing?

Successful teams usually have a few common threads. They have their stars, and yes you need go to players, but they have their role players that allow teams to become "greater than the sum of their parts." Throwing nine like minded forwards and four defensemen just doesn't work in my humble opinion.

All that being said, I am prepared to write this year off and give them a chance to prove themselves again. By missing the playoffs, I feel the page will finally be turned on the team that should have won it all. Maybe they learned from their mistakes and just need to be re-charged. As much as I rip on them, they have earned the right to redeem themselves, provided they acknowledge either privately or publicly, that they erred.

Archived