Maybe a new coach IS needed?

deluca67

The whole emotion thing and tough thing is so overblown. The team two years ago, while it had other flaws, was plenty tough enough. Most on this board would argue that if not for the injuries, that team would have won the Cup. How can you now say the team wasn't tough enough or didn't play with enough emotion. There are plenty tough guys who rarely, if ever, drop the gloves.

It is my belief that the core problem with this team is too many veterans like Max, Tim and Ales here floating between second, third and sometimes even fourth line and bring nothing to the table if they don't score. For all the accolades that Darcy gets, this team has become an assembly of talent rather than a true team. You look at yesterday, how many true centers on the team? How many left wings? Who is your shut down line when the Spezza line gets going? What about your top defensive pairing?

Successful teams usually have a few common threads. They have their stars, and yes you need go to players, but they have their role players that allow teams to become "greater than the sum of their parts." Throwing nine like minded forwards and four defensemen just doesn't work in my humble opinion.

All that being said, I am prepared to write this year off and give them a chance to prove themselves again. By missing the playoffs, I feel the page will finally be turned on the team that should have won it all. Maybe they learned from their mistakes and just need to be re-charged. As much as I rip on them, they have earned the right to redeem themselves, provided they acknowledge either privately or publicly, that they erred.

Since as far back as I can remeber the Sabres have always reacted to how the other team plays and rarely initiated the physical play. The team two years ago was no exception. This franchise has been prone to being pushed around and bullied. On the rare occassion they push back.

The Sabres have a bunch of smallish forwards. That is why players like Gaustad and Bernier have to play up to their size. The Sabres need to get more physical if the star players they do have want to have room to create.

The only emotion this team has shown since the lockout is the crying to the refs Brier and Roy did. There are only a handful of games left. It would be nice to see the Sabres vent some of their frustration. It would be nice to know they care.

The Sabres have a bunch of smallish forwards. That is why players like Gaustad and Bernier have to play up to their size. The Sabres need to get more physical if the star players they do have want to have room to create.

They have plenty of size up front, they just have too many players who don't use it.

Vanek - 6'2" 200+

Kotalik - 6'1" 215+

Connolly - 6'1" 190+

Max 6'0" 190+

All these guys have the size but rarely choose to use it.

Gaustad - 6'5" 220+

Hecht - 6'2" 200+

Pominville - 6' 180+

Bernier - 6'2" 220+

Stafford - 6'1" 210+

All these guys have size and do use it but only subtly and not to overpower or intimidate their opponents.

It's a Culture. It's Groupthink. The same people and ideas have been around so long that the place runs on autopilot, sort of like going to the Post Office. There is no accountability, and guys feel too comfortable with one another. It's one big hugfest between Ruff-Regeir-Quinn, and the guys in the lockerroom sometimes sound as if you're interviewing a 12 year old girls slumber party. Campbell leaves, and he's having a nervous breakdown because he's leaving his daddies here. That's fine if you're in juniors, but you're supposed to be a man now.

If guys are too close and don't want to hurt each other's feelings, the harsh things that need to be said or done never happen. It always turns into "we have to be smarter", "we have to trust the system", "it's ugly hockey out there and nobody wants to help us". How about somebody jump up and tell Bucky Gleason "These guys have no nuts. I'm going to go out there and take off the head of anybody that comes within 5 feet of Miller. If someone wants to help me do that, great. If not, too bad."

This is why I was whining like a little baby last year. This organization moves too slow. They didn't add the guys to put us over the top last year, their arrogance stopped them from doing anything about it this year, and they won't do enough about it for next year. If you are lucky, a well rounded and responsible team may hit the ice for the '09-'10 season, probably just in time for the next lockout.

Lots of great nuggets here to consider, i've copied the ones that I agree with on some level

I find it difficult to defend the lack of emotion this team has shown not only last night but all season. The Sabres maybe too cool, calm and collected for their own good

At this point no angle should be ignored or overlooked. I have questions about some of the stuff Lindy has done.... but I'm not quite ready to call for Lindy's head......I think changes have to be made in system and player personnel, and possibly in the assistant coaches.

but who is available that is better than LINDY RUFF??? come on people, we have one of the best coaches in the game. probably 80% of the teams in the league would love to have him

It is my belief that the core problem with this team is too many veterans like Max, Tim and Ales here floating between second, third and sometimes even fourth line and bring nothing to the table if they don't score. For all the accolades that Darcy gets, this team has become an assembly of talent rather than a true team.

Since as far back as I can remeber the Sabres have always reacted to how the other team plays and rarely initiated the physical play. The team two years ago was no exception. This franchise has been prone to being pushed around and bullied. On the rare occassion they push back.

It's a Culture. It's Groupthink. The same people and ideas have been around so long that the place runs on autopilot, sort of like going to the Post Office. There is no accountability, and guys feel too comfortable with one another

IMHO what I see coming out in all of this? NO: leadership, passion, team spirit, wrong players does not equal coaching change.

As much as I like Lindy Ruff as a coach and have defended him on this board, I find it difficult to defend the lack of emotion this team has shown not only last night but all season. The Sabres maybe too cool, calm and collected for their own good. Sometimes you need to run on emotion and get caught up into it.

Maybe Ruff has coached the emotion from the team. I look at a player like Guastad who was supposed to be our Chris Neal. He is more like Chris Gratton now. I look at the defense and their is not one imposing figure back there. Talinder and Kalinin have the size but wouldn't break an egg during the game if you sewed into their uniform. I look at Steve Berier who came with a ton of emotion in his first few games and now looks just like another Sabre drone void of passion.

For those who will wish to turn this into a Briere/Drury issue, don't bother. The team played the same when they were here.

Maybe it is time for the change.

oh please. like that will solve the talent lack.

As much as I like Lindy Ruff as a coach and have defended him on this board, I find it difficult to defend the lack of emotion this team has shown not only last night but all season. The Sabres maybe too cool, calm and collected for their own good. Sometimes you need to run on emotion and get caught up into it.

Maybe Ruff has coached the emotion from the team. I look at a player like Guastad who was supposed to be our Chris Neal. He is more like Chris Gratton now. I look at the defense and their is not one imposing figure back there. Talinder and Kalinin have the size but wouldn't break an egg during the game if you sewed into their uniform. I look at Steve Berier who came with a ton of emotion in his first few games and now looks just like another Sabre drone void of passion.

For those who will wish to turn this into a Briere/Drury issue, don't bother. The team played the same when they were here.

Maybe it is time for the change.

Sure. We've run out of good players to get rid of. Let's get rid of one of the best coaches in the NHL. Why the heck not? Let's see how far this franchise can sink.

PTR

They have plenty of size up front, they just have too many players who don't use it.

Vanek - 6'2" 200+

Kotalik - 6'1" 215+

Connolly - 6'1" 190+

Max 6'0" 190+

All these guys have the size but rarely choose to use it.

Gaustad - 6'5" 220+

Hecht - 6'2" 200+

Pominville - 6' 180+

Bernier - 6'2" 220+

Stafford - 6'1" 210+

All these guys have size and do use it but only subtly and not to overpower or intimidate their opponents.

I have a hard time saying that someone sub-200 lbs has size.

At this point no angle should be ignored or overlooked. I have questions about some of the stuff Lindy has done over the last year or so, but I'm not quite ready to call for Lindy's head. That being said, I think changes have to be made in system and player personnel, and possibly in the assistant coaches.

It took me a while to come on out and say this, but i just have to share; babies are ugly.

Can someone please explain to me how Zubrus was such a key player considering the fact that he was here for a couple months? I will never understand why people over-value him like that.

He played a nice 3rd line grinding role and scored ZERO goals in the playoffs. If DR had agreed to pay Zubrus what NJ had paid him, I would have been pissed(and that was before the season started, not basing it on Zubrus play this year).

I do think Lindy has hit the wall with this team. His lines change from minute to minute. There is no

continuity. What do you do, fire all 20 players? We need a fresh coach, someone who has won a Stanley Cup

or a Calder Cup-winning coach, not one of these Sabres-Amerks retreads, who can look at these guys with a

fresh eye from outside the organization and motivate them.

I think it says alot that Lindy refused to watch Roy and Pommers. He's a great coach but I think he should be history and so should Regier.

My suggestion for GM: John Muckler.

The coach I'm not so sure about.

But most important of all: FIRE QUINN!

Archived