Dainius Zubrus a Buffalo Sabres

Monkeygirl

I like it. Novotny isn't very high on the depth chart for the future, so I don't think he'll be missed. I haven't seen any offensive upside out of him, so Zubrus will be that much more of an asset down the stretch. As has already been said, the first round pick is essentially replaced in the Marty deal, so that's not much of an issue either.

I'm hope I'm wrong on this trade but this team doesn't need help scoring goals. They needed to pick up a playoff "heart and soul" grinder (Ian Lappierier would have fit nicely) type. Great if he helps the PP but if he doesn't hit with that big frame then he may be hard to find come the two month grind.

I'm hope I'm wrong on this trade but this team doesn't need help scoring goals. They needed to pick up a playoff "heart and soul" grinder (Ian Lappierier would have fit nicely) type. Great if he helps the PP but if he doesn't hit with that big frame then he may be hard to find come the two month grind.

They did get size and a guy who can take draws.

He goes to net. Esp. during crunch time.

It looks like the issue is not the $$, but the length of the contract:

Latest on Zubrus

Well, I just spoke to Zubrus. And he doesn't think he's going to sign an extension before the deadline. He said there was some talk this morning between the Caps and his agent, but no progress was made.

As I've reported, the sticking point is the length of term. He wants five years; the Caps want three. The money is about the same--$3 mil per.

Zubrus also said he was told not to skate this morning. When he was walking to his car here at Verizon Center moments ago, he said he was contemplating whether to take his equipment with him so he could head straight for the airport if he's dealt. But he didn't. He just headed for the door.

"I'm going to go home and get some rest," he said as he walked away. "We'll see if that happens."

LINK

Re: Spector's comment:

"If not, he?ll be criticized by Sabres fans for years for wasting the future on a quick fix."

Losing Novotny will make Regier criticized for "wasting the future"? What a joke of a comment, and clearly one that's DESIGNED to make lazy minds think that the Sabres got the short end of the stick.

Fact of the matter is, Novotny has been inconsistent at best. He had a nice start and then disappeared. Zubrus is an upgrade over Novotny and the price they paid they got back with the Biron trade, and we were losing him this season anyway.

For anyone in this thread that has said "losing a first round pick hurts" or similar thoughts to that affect: Look at the history of low 1st round picks in the NHL over the past 10 years. You can do it right at NHL.com. You'll find that the % of 'hits' is incredibly low, much lower than the success or impact rate in the NFL for example. You'll see many names you've never heard of, cuz they never amounted to anything. The NHL draft is a bigger crap shoot than the NFL draft.

The Sabres had to go for it, and I'm thrilled about this pickup. Surprised we didn't go D, but Zubrus is a definite upgrade over novotny, whose ankle probably won't be even 90% until next year anyway.

This could be a huge deal and really add to the PP. The guy can shoot the puck. Sometimes you need to give something to get something.

Novo was good but look at the other guys. I'd rather see Staff in the lineup or Paille.

I'll give my :thumbsup: to the trade, also...and that's the reason. The PP has been bad to pathetic all year, so adding a skilled sniper will only help.

I liked Novotny - he seemed to skate with a lot of energy - but I'm perfectly ok with giving him up for Zubrus.

Love the deal. Hate to part with Marty but it had to be done and the Zubrus trade made it worth-while. Always hated Novotny and have given him quite a bit of criticism this year, and when he wasn't hurt, he got way too much icetime than he deserved. Plus, without Biron and if Zubrus doesn't resign, we have a little more money towards Briere/Drury and any Amerks.

Gave up a lot to win now. Clearly just for the end of the year. I wasn't too high on jiri to begin with Zubrus can score now.

Also think the sabres are done after this deal.

I am having major trouble getting on the site must be really hammered with everyone on right now.

If you put it in perspective of what other teams did this year to get guys for a playoff push, we didn't give up that much. Of all the serious, serious contenders we did the least to get basically the same as many other teams.

Think about it: Biron had to be moved to make this deal happen. Be happy for him. We have plenty of guys in Rochester that are way better than Novotny so giving up him was a good move. Timmy is probably going to come back so that is gonna feel like a trade pickup as well. While he won't be recording points at 11 every 8 games like he did last year in the playoffs he will help and he will probably have the most desire of anyone. Plus, like it's been mentioned, we are going to be drafting a couple spots away anyways with Philly's second rounder.

Think about the other teams that gave up the farm for a chance now, and we're still better than them. I have to admit the Thrashers really did mortgage their future just to stop their free fall.

I like it. Novotny isn't very high on the depth chart for the future, so I don't think he'll be missed. I haven't seen any offensive upside out of him, so Zubrus will be that much more of an asset down the stretch. As has already been said, the first round pick is essentially replaced in the Marty deal, so that's not much of an issue either.

Agreed.

The team is better today than it was yesterday and they didn't give up much of the future.

They got a guy that has a pretty good shot, is good on the pp, has good size (although I don't know that I've ever really thought he uses it), and is decent on faceoffs.

They've picked up a #8 and maybe a #9 d-man.

And they have a cheap, adequate backup that could keep the wheels from falling off for a game or 2 if Ryan went down; because realistically if Ryan is down for any significant length of time (even if Marty were backing him up) the Sabres would have been/will be in trouble regardless of who's back there. I've never thought highly of Conklin, but he should be adequate for what the Sabres are looking to get out of him.

Novotny could blossom into a true power forward, but assuming the Sabres get at least 1 of Drury or Briere back, it would have been a while, if ever, before he manages to break into any of the top 3 lines at his natural position. I'd be surprised if he ever reached his potential in Buffalo. He should get more of an opportunity with Washington.

Zubris is likely only a rental player, but so was Marty.

My thoughts were that Zubrus would help now. And, since Marty is gone and possibly Teppo next year, would that be enough room to sign Drury and/or Briere? I'm not sure what our cap structure looks like now but would think that would free up room. Anybody got a feel for that aspect?

If you put it in perspective of what other teams did this year to get guys for a playoff push, we didn't give up that much. Of all the serious, serious contenders we did the least to get basically the same as many other teams.

Think about it: Biron had to be moved to make this deal happen. Be happy for him. We have plenty of guys in Rochester that are way better than Novotny so giving up him was a good move. Timmy is probably going to come back so that is gonna feel like a trade pickup as well. While he won't be recording points at 11 every 8 games like he did last year in the playoffs he will help and he will probably have the most desire of anyone. Plus, like it's been mentioned, we are going to be drafting a couple spots away anyways with Philly's second rounder.

Think about the other teams that gave up the farm for a chance now, and we're still better than them. I have to admit the Thrashers really did mortgage their future just to stop their free fall.

Waddell doesn't care about Atlanta's future because after guaranteeing the playoffs for 2 years in a row, if they aren't there, HE has no future.

If I was part of that ownership group, he'd be fired before the sun sets today.

Waddell doesn't care about Atlanta's future because after guaranteeing the playoffs for 2 years in a row, if they aren't there, HE has no future.

If I was part of that ownership group, he'd be fired before the sun sets today.

Waddell is lucky he is in Atlanta where nobody cares.

If he doesn't win a cup, he may never work again.

My thoughts were that Zubrus would help now. And, since Marty is gone and possibly Teppo next year, would that be enough room to sign Drury and/or Briere? I'm not sure what our cap structure looks like now but would think that would free up room. Anybody got a feel for that aspect?

Not to mention the fact that Zurus' $$$ will come off the books and obviously Novotny's already has. I think there is a distinct possibility that both could be back in light of today's moves.

Not to mention the fact that Zurus' $$$ will come off the books and obviously Novotny's already has. I think there is a distinct possibility that both could be back in light of today's moves.

With the saved Novotny money, the Sabres will be able to throw in a spare tire for Drury's new limo.

We will need to do more than simply not re-sign Teppo (and now Zubrus) to get more cap room.

Moving non-productive guys like Spacek and Connolly might free up enough room. I definitely think it's possible to keep all 4 of our big free agents next year: Drury, Briere, Vanek (RFA), and Roy (RFA). A lot depends on what the cap max will be at next year, but so far Regier and Golisano have said all the things that make them appear ready this summer to keep the team's nucleus intact...even if that means going right up to the cap limit again.

i like it, on balance.

zubris gives us a lot of what we need (accurate shot, PP, mobility, hands, some size). obviously, his minus 16 is a concern -- we'll have to wait and see if he can play responsibly.

we also picked up the 8 and 9 we needed for the run -- i know nothing about them, but they sound serviceable (and, in any case, must be an upgrade over rory fitz).

and what'd we give up? novo and a 1st? *yawn* i'm just not that high on novotny -- maybe he becomes a top 6 guy, but i tend to think not. plus, we've got people (stafford) who will take his slot next year and constitute an upgrade in jam and talent.

and the 1st rounder is no great shakes -- we have philly's second rounder, just a few spots away. this is the nhl draft we're talking about, folks -- unless you're drafting in the top 5 positions, you're as likely to get the next superstar in round 5 as you are in round 1.

again, i like it.

go sabres!

Archived