Dainius Zubrus a Buffalo Sabres

Monkeygirl

From Spector:

The Washington Capitals were expected to move Danius Zubrus by the deadline, and they didn’t disappoint, moving him to the Buffalo Sabres along with a minor leaguer for a first round pick and promising youngster Jiri Novotny.

The Sabres had to do something to bolster their forward lines following a recent rash of injuries to key players, but the consensus is they’ve overpaid for Zubrus, who is eligible for unrestricted free agency.

It was Zubrus’s demand for a five-year contract that got him shipped out of Washington, and he’ll have to take his game to a higher level to get the same from the Sabres.

Novotny was considered a promising part of the Sabres future, so by parting with him and a first rounder, Buffalo GM Darcy Regier is taking a huge risk. If Zubrus helps the Sabres win the Cup, it’ll be seen as worthwhile. If not, he’ll be criticized by Sabres fans for years for wasting the future on a quick fix.

Novotny has good playmaking skills and might develop into a good offensive player. Landing a first round pick could be seen as icing on the cake for Capitals fans.

--------

BTW, anyone else having trouble staying connected? I keep getting a board message, server too busy error. I know there are a lot of people on, but man, it seemed like forever before I got back on...

From TSN. Drury can help with the untapped assets and Lindy (& the whole team) will fix the flaws.

Assets--Has a huge frame and knows how to use it to protect the puck. Owns a nifty set of hands and a nose for the net. Still displays untapped offensive upside.

Flaws--Doesn't give an honest effort every night. Lacks consistency. Is still a non-factor in too many games. Was rushed to the NHL and is trying to catch up.

Career potential Top six forward.

I think Zubrus is a rental for this year and we won't resign him. Sounds like he's asking for alot and Washington didn't think he was worth ponying up for. And Helbling is the minor league veteren that the Amerks were wanting. Hope he does bust his ass but sounds like a stop gap trade. I think in all we opened up room for next year. Which first round pick is it? Philly's?

I don't see how you can look around the locker room game after game and see everyone giving their best effort and not give it your best effort, as well. Plus, he's now got the added incentive of going to a legitimate Cup contender. If a locker room full of hard workers and a shot at the Cup doesn't light a fire under you, not much will.

Per the Caps play-by-play guy, the rap on Zubrus not giving it his best effort every night is an old rap and he has been giving consistent effort this year. Just back from a foot injury that had him our a couple of weeks. Says DZ will be re-energized by this trade and he will be a good player for the Sabres. Will propbably be our best face-off guy after Drury. Let's hope that Miller stays healthy.

They can have Novocop, but the 1st rounder hurts, IMO. Didn't really like Zubrus too much in the past but I hope to god he can change the "no effort" assessment that he's had. What line will he play on? Also, what 1st rounder pick did the Sabres get?

Overall, I was hoping for a bigger trade SPLASH myself, but hey, thats why I'm not the GM.

LETS GO BUFFALO!!

I think Zubrus is a rental for this year and we won't resign him. Sounds like he's asking for alot and Washington didn't think he was worth ponying up for. And Helbling is the minor league veteren that the Amerks were wanting. Hope he does bust his ass but sounds like a stop gap trade. I think in all we opened up room for next year. Which first round pick is it? Philly's?

I think this move says a lot about guys like Stafford and MacArthur. Novotny started out this year gangbusters, but then tailed off a bit before getting hurt. We go for the Cup this year, Zubrus playing the role of Joe Juneau... and then Stafford and MacArthur have starting spots in Buffalo next year.

Overall, good deal, and I don't think we gave up all that much. With the extra first rounder from the Biron deal, the draft pick we gave up for Zubrus isn't such a big deal.

I don't see how you can look around the locker room game after game and see everyone giving their best effort and not give it your best effort, as well. Plus, he's now got the added incentive of going to a legitimate Cup contender. If a locker room full of hard workers and a shot at the Cup doesn't light a fire under you, not much will.

Right on, Spandrel. I don't think that's the case with Zubrus anymore (how can you slack off playing with Ovechkin?), but if it is, this is a make or break situation for him.

This is perfect assessment. :thumbsup:

This could be a huge deal and really add to the PP. The guy can shoot the puck. Sometimes you need to give something to get something.

Novo was good but look at the other guys. I'd rather see Staff in the lineup or Paille.

This could be the sleeper deal of the deadline. Let's hope so.

I like the 20 goals part. Huge upgrade. He'll win a couple games for us.

That gives us 20+ goal scorers:

Drury

Vanek

Briere

Max

Pomminstein

Zubrus

This is definitely a move to win it now. No chance we can resign three guys that want 5+ mil. Still worried about backup goal tending though.

Nice move DR.. make us wait til nearly the end...

I think there may be a few more trades officially coming in now that the deadline has passed, but I feel a little disappointed. The Sabres gave up Biron and Novotny and pick for Ty Conklin and Zubrus. With the injuries up front, I was hoping the Sabres might get one more forward to add some depth like a Kevyn Adams or someone else. Since Zubrus only makes $1.85 million, they still had enough money against the cap to acquire one more depth forward. I was also hoping they could clear out some cap space for next year to resign Briere and Drury. Oh well. I like the confidence they have in the young guys. I think Zubby will help though.

If you start worrying about the backup spot and Miller getting injured, then you're just playing the "what if" game and no GM should play it that way.

Miller was going to play all the playoff games. By moving Biron and Novo, we got a formidable backup, a top line scorer who adds to our offensive arsenal.

When we get healthy, it will be 3 tough lines to check.

Gave up a lot to win now. Clearly just for the end of the year. I wasn't too high on jiri to begin with Zubrus can score now.

Also think the sabres are done after this deal.

I am having major trouble getting on the site must be really hammered with everyone on right now.

Archived