TSN claims that Marty has been traded

frisky

Guerin's cap hit is $2.4 million. We just freed up $1.603 million with the Marty-for-Conklin swap. Gaustad's cap hit is $713K -- so if his cash is available (which it may not be due to Paille being up), we are at $2.316 million, or $84K short. Does anyone know whether we had $84K to play with? I seem to remember we were close to the cap but just a drop or 2 below?

does anyone else feel like they have been punched in the gut?

A year and a half ago, I don't think anyone had any strong attachments to any of these players, now... especially after last week - I want them all here.

Yeah - I feel kinda bad. Marty will be missed.

Let's be real, now that Marty's gone we can all admit to ourselves that if Miller gets hurt we're screwed regardless. There's a reason Marty never really won the job in 10 seasons in the organization, he was the guy who played when we were waiting for someone else to get ready or healthy.

Give Conklin 10 games down the stretch just in case, keep Ryan rested then hold your breath.

I agree with the TSN guys. The Devils never have a big backup goalie behind Brodeur. When your making a run for the cup, you shouldn't be worrying about the What-ifs. If Miller goes down, yes they probably are screwed, but what if (like last year) he spends the entire time on the bench? thats a big chunk of change for an insurance policy

Guerin's cap hit is $2.4 million. We just freed up $1.603 million with the Marty-for-Conklin swap. Gaustad's cap hit is $713K -- so if his cash is available (which it may not be due to Paille being up), we are at $2.316 million, or $84K short. Does anyone know whether we had $84K to play with? I seem to remember we were close to the cap but just a drop or 2 below?

Well, Guerin would need a roster spot during the playoffs so I would assume they would deal a pick, and a player with a decent salary for him

I think they would try to get Guerin for picks/prospects only, and try not to touch the current roster. I also think the numbers I mentioned above are so close that this is probably Darcy's plan. On the other hand, I didn't think they were going make any trades, so it shows what I know.

I think they would try to get Guerin for picks/prospects only, and try not to touch the current roster. I also think the numbers I mentioned above are so close that this is probably Darcy's plan. On the other hand, I didn't think they were going make any trades, so it shows what I know.

The problem is, IF Connolly comes back, and no one else is moved from the active roster, Where does Geurin fit in?

TSN is saying something is emenent with Guerin

If you're going to give up prospects, you're going to give up someone on our current roster considering thats where all of our prospects are.

From the Globe & Mail -- looks like we got the 1st-rounder for Marty.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

Sabres' Biron heads to Philadelphia

DAVID SHOALTS

Globe and Mail Update

TORONTO ? Just before the Buffalo Sabres stepped on the ice for their game-day skate on Tuesday at the Air Canada Centre, a public-relations official went up to goaltender Martin Biron in the dressing room.

The trade he was waiting for finally happened, a few hours before the National Hockey League's trading deadline. Biron packed his equipment and left the arena, declining to comment because the trade was not officially announced.

As it turned out, Biron was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers for a draft pick, thought to be a first-rounder the Flyers acquired from the Nashville Predators in the Peter Forsberg trade. In a separate deal, the Sabres picked up goaltender Ty Conklin from the Columbus Blue Jackets. It was rather odd Sabres GM Darcy Regier did not get a roster player for Biron as well, since his team has been hit by a rash of injuries.

This ends a difficult two seasons for Biron, who signed a contract with the Sabres worth $2.5-million a year and then lost his starting job last season to then-rookie Ryan Miller. Despite this, Biron remained a positive presence in the dressing room while he waited for a trade.

"I will miss him a lot but hopefully wherever he goes he'll be happy," Sabres forward Thomas Vanek said before Biron's destination was announced. "He's a great goalie and a great teammate. Whoever gets him is really going to enjoy having him around. We're really going to miss him a lot.

"He's done a lot for us and he helped me a lot in the year and a half I've been here."

Biron will be a free agent this summer, although he indicated in an interview this morning with TSN that he plans to stay in Philadelphia, which has had goaltending problems all season with Robert Esche and Antero Nittymaki.

"I'm very excited about the opportunity," Biron said. "[The Flyers] are one of the teams that made some unbelievable moves in the last week to solidify their future. I definitely want to be part of that future."

But Biron did say he has not talked to Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren about a contract.

Sabres defenceman Teppo Numminen also wished Biron well.

"He's a number-one goalie and can be a starter, so I'm sure this will be good for him," Numminen said. "It's been a tough couple of weeks with everybody getting hurt, so maybe that had something to do with the direction we went.

"It was a tough situation for him for two years here. He was the starting goalie and then the backup. The way he handled himself was really classy. He always put the team first."

fyi - not sure if this was mentioned anywhere - TSN is saying Kevyn Adams agreed to a 1yr deal with Phoenix, so it looks like he's not going anywhere...which makes me happy - if he was all we were getting after all this happening this morning, I think that would have been a let-down

On opening day they had ~$95k to play with. So, assuming all the Amerks that are up on the roster are covered by Timmy's salary, then the Sabres could afford Guerin (barely).

As an aside, IF Timmy comes back in the regular season, in that scenario all the call ups would need to be sent back down to the AHL (assuming no one other than Gaustad is on BLTI-IR) until the regular season ends.

More from the Globe and Mail:

Flyers help out those conference rivals

Eric Duhatschek, today at 11:22 AM EST

The Buffalo Sabres? decision to trade Martin Biron to the Philadelphia Flyers has nothing to do with any dissatisfaction over his performance or contribution. Biron was actually the perfect complement to the Sabres? starting goaltender, Ryan Miller, someone who could provide big-league back-up netminding on a semi-regular basis without acting as a threat to their starter.

No, the Biron deal was made mostly out of the Sabres' desperation and their ridiculously long injury list. Biron's contract, worth $2.1 million, ate up far too much room on the team?s salary-cap list. With eight regulars out of the line-up and only Paul Gaustad definitely gone for the season, the Sabres needed to free up salary-cap space in order to bring in reinforcements and/or depth players, up front and on the blue line. By moving Biron and replacing him with Ty Conklin, most recently with the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Sabres freed up enough money to make a bigger splash in the trade market later today. Moreover, Conklin will provide a nice complement to Miller. Buffalo could have gone for a bigger name ? an Ed Belfour or a Curtis Joseph ? but they were both too pricey and, because of their vast experience, in a position to undermine Miller?s sometimes fragile confidence.

Philadelphia ultimately projects Biron as their next No. 1, something they desperately need, given how badly Robert Esche, Antero Nittymaki and Michael Leighton have played this season. In acquiring a potential unrestricted free agent for a team that fell out of the playoff race months ago, the Flyers did the Sabres an enormous favor by taking him off their hands today. As for Buffalo, this move is simply a prelude to others that - when all is said and done - will provide them with the reinforcements they need to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Archived