TSN claims that Marty has been traded

frisky

Strange move by Philly -- they already have 2 goalies who are about as good as Marty, and a 1st rounder (if that's true) seems like a lot to give up for Marty, who has zero playoff wins and will be a UFA in 6 weeks.

Great move by Darcy, esp. if he makes another deal for a roster player. I checked Philly's roster and didn't see anyone I'd want other than Gagne.

Anybody know anything about Conklin?

Marty being interviewed on TSN right now.

Said he spoke w/ Holmgren and is real excited to be going there.

EDIT: Wow, talk about a slow trigger finger. Guess I'll let others faster than me to put up the announcements.

Marty apparently plans to try to work out a contract with them before hitting FA.

Philly for a draft pick...Darcy isn't done.

I know I'm gonna be blasted for this.... but, if we got possibly the 1st or 2nd pick in 2007's draft might it be smart to keep it. Cheraponov and Max on one line?

It definitely seems like Darcy is preparing for a much bigger deal. I know that St. Louis was asking for a first rounder along with prospects for Guerin.

But does anyone think that we should keep this pick if it is true? We have guys in Rochester who can fill in this year but now we have the chance to get a young superstar that can perhaps fill in if we lose Danny or Drury with their immense talent.

Good for Marty though, he really deserves a starting job and I think people will be surprised at how well he does as a starter next year.

Good for Marty. I hope he gets a good contract and nails down that starting job. I'll be rooting for him. He was a really good teammate and good guy.

Now, down to business: Conklin makes $525K and is a UFA after this season. Marty made $2.128 million. So, Darcy just freed up enough cash to enable us to sign a guy with a salary cap hit of $1.6 million. Not enough room for Bill Guerin, but potentially enough to bring in a decent player. I have to believe that is the plan.

Conklin is 30. He looks like he's had some decent stretches of NHL play in the past but he's not #1 goalie material. Bottom line is we need Miller to carry the mail in the playoffs this year. But we knew that already.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/stats?playerId=1232

If we got a first round pick for Marty I think it's a brilliant trade for the Sabres. Can't wait to see what it is flipped for.

Hopefully we didn't give up much for Conklin though - low round draft pick at most would be good or prospect who isn't going to make it to the NHL with Buff but might do so with CBJ.

Anyway, stupid trade from Philly - they aren't doing anything this year & have no guarantee of signing an extension but they must really be banking on dangling the starter position out there. Just stating the obvious.

I know I'm gonna be blasted for this.... but, if we got possibly the 1st or 2nd pick in 2007's draft might it be smart to keep it. Cheraponov and Max on one line?

It definitely seems like Darcy is preparing for a much bigger deal. I know that St. Louis was asking for a first rounder along with prospects for Guerin.

But does anyone think that we should keep this pick if it is true? We have guys in Rochester who can fill in this year but now we have the chance to get a young superstar that can perhaps fill in if we lose Danny or Drury with their immense talent.

Good for Marty though, he really deserves a starting job and I think people will be surprised at how well he does as a starter next year.

We keep this one and deal ours I bet.

Archived