GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

eball

Nice win...and some great positives to come out of this game:

Max finds the back of the net, first goal in his last nine games...

TV scores a couple, and looks like he is feeling better...

Big Al gets a fortuitous bounce off the d-man's stick, setting up TV for the go-ahead goal, and generally buzzing around the offensive end most of the night...

Hope Goose isn't too badly hurt - anyone hear an update?

The difference between tonight and last night is Biron DIDN'T LET IN A CRAPPY GOAL or two...

He may have given up a bad rebound, but the guys on defense need to get back. He STOPPED all his open, unscreened, 40 ft shots. If he lets ONE in - then it is a different game.

Was Hecht not dumped while trying to put that in the empty net???

yes, and if memory serves me correctly, that should result in a goal, since the goalie was pulled.

Either way, WOW!! way to put forth an entire 60 minute effort. There was no scoring in the 1st, but they did play very well. Dissapointed that gaustad is hurt. Anyone able to listen to the postgame have any details? If he can't go for the next game, bring paetsch up to wing and (hopefully) play spacek at defense. What i just saw was a hard fought, gritty effort by the sabres. I haven't seen one of those in MONTHS. Lydman and Tallinder played good... Kalinin... yikes dude.. you need to sit when you can to appreiciate the fact that you're stealing ice time. That was a playoff type game and that was a playoff type result. Way to go Sabres!

The difference between tonight and last night is Biron DIDN'T LET IN A CRAPPY GOAL or two...

He may have given up a bad rebound, but the guys on defense need to get back. He STOPPED all his open, unscreened, 40 ft shots. If he lets ONE in - then it is a different game.

Your ideas intrigue me. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Anyway, I'm not ready to upset the applecart, but Marty sure seems comfortable in goal. Is it me, or does the white helmet scream "Space available! Your team's logo here!"

BTW, that chunk I took out of my wall was the worst damage to an apartment since the "Just give it to 'em" game in '98. I'm seething.

Anyway, I'm not ready to upset the applecart, but Marty sure seems comfortable in goal. Is it me, or does the white helmet scream "Space available! Your team's logo here!"

I was wondering about that. Marty used to have a custom helmet but now it seems like he's waiting to put anything on it in case he ends up somewhere else.

Gaustad cut his ankle on a skate blade. Lindy says he was stitched up, but is unsure when he'll play again.

I was wondering about that. Marty used to have a custom helmet but now it seems like he's waiting to put anything on it in case he ends up somewhere else.

This has been discussed before, but Marty did have a mask made up in blue and gold, but it didn't fit right.

He said tonight that he found one that fits, and he sent it to be painted.

He said if this one doesn't work out, he's going to get a sharpie and have the team sign the white one.

Biron isn't going anywhere this season.

This has been discussed before, but Marty did have a mask made up in blue and gold, but it didn't fit right.

He said tonight that he found one that fits, and he sent it to be painted.

He said if this one doesn't work out, he's going to get a sharpie and have the team sign the white one.

Biron isn't going anywhere this season.

I like the Sharpie option. That's getting really creative.

I like the Sharpie option. That's getting really creative.

What would be even better is, after he gets his new one back and knows it will fit right, he can wear the white one for one last game with everyone's autograph on it...and then auction it for charity on eBay afterwards...That would be something nice, and I'll bet it would fetch a decent amount.

My thoughts on the game (from someone who's posting late):

Even though it was a tight game, the Sabres looked in control throughout (at least to me). It wasn't forgone conclusion they would win, but that was the feel they projected. Kudos to Lindy: he coached a great game.

I'm gonna leave Kalinin alone for now; he made few mistakes but made some good plays as well. BUT... did anyone else notice Brian Campbell being a little cavalier with the puck? He had several giveaways that were clearly (to me) mental mistakes. Lindy needs to have a long talk with Brian.

Vanek is back in the saddle. Nuff said.

A quality win.

The one thing I think needs to be addressed is the Biron vs. Miller issue. And my feeling is this: It's not an issue. Biron is okay with whatever roll he gets, even though he always wants to play more. But in a sense he is an MVP type in that he truly does whatever's best for the team. Miller is Miller. He is great. You can't be great every single game, and having Biron on the bench takes that pressure off Miller. I think if Lindy plays Marty 6 or 7 of the next 10 games, Marty will relish the opportunity, Miller will hate it but be a better goalie when his time comes, and the team will, as a team, be better for it.

Think about it: Biron has been with the Sabres a LONG time. My prediction is that his whole career will be as a Sabre, and someday, both #30 and #43 will be retired by the Sabres. They are not the #1 and #2 goalies; they are 1 and 1a.

Bask in this victory. This will be the game when people will look back and agree that the Sabres finally got their groove back. You can take that to tha bank.

I know you are on the " 3" goal game kick... :nana:

But, last time I looked... The two best goalies in the league (Brodeur and Hasek) were sporting a 2.08 GAA...

Now don't get me wrong... I see your point, but don't think it is as a mess as you are making it...

Now if you were on a "4" goal game kick... I could see.

My point? Not really sure what my point is??? :bag: ... Judging that you can only have 2 or 3 goals go against you in an actual game... Giving up that 3rd goal isn't really important to me since even the best goaltenders in the league have given up 3 goals or more a game to keep their GAA's in the 2-3 range.

Conclusion... Sabres gotta find a way to get the 4th more! :D

Kudos for tonight and keep it 2...

Trying to be a realist while following a very offensive schemed team (the Slugs that is)...

and once again there goes a one-goal lead in the 3rd...

absolutely unbelievable.

and i don't blame the officials for that call on tempo. it is too bad none of hte other officials helped out, but the puck should have been cleared out long before that...

Exactly - besides the phantom call, Roy could have and should have cleared the zone but didn't and next thing you know the puck is in the net. Poor effort on that play, and that one's on him.

I know you are on the " 3" goal game kick... :nana:

But, last time I looked... The two best goalies in the league (Brodeur and Hasek) were sporting a 2.08 GAA...

Now don't get me wrong... I see your point, but don't think it is as a mess as you are making it...

Now if you were on a "4" goal game kick... I could see.

My point? Not really sure what my point is??? :bag: ... Judging that you can only have 2 or 3 goals go against you in an actual game... Giving up that 3rd goal isn't really important to me since even the best goaltenders in the league have given up 3 goals or more a game to keep their GAA's in the 2-3 range.

Conclusion... Sabres gotta find a way to get the 4th more! :D

Kudos for tonight and keep it 2...

Trying to be a realist while following a very offensive schemed team (the Slugs that is)...

the best have about a 2.0 and the worst have about a 3.0. Ryan is sitting at about 2.7 and rising with each passing game. and it is VERY important. Once the playoffs start - you can't tell your guys "we have to score 4 or we will lose". Ryan needs to be playing well enough that if we need to win 2-1 or 3-2 then he can shut them down. We don't get the luxury of playing the Bruins every playoff series. You aren't going to pound in 6 goals a night against NJ or Montreal. Asking your teammates to get you 4 every night is too much.

Again, Ryan is trending towards a higher GAA with each passing week. It needs to stop. He can't let in the ones he clearly sees, every single night. He needs many more 2 goal games and enough with 3+ night after night.

My thoughts on the game (from someone who's posting late):

Even though it was a tight game, the Sabres looked in control throughout (at least to me). It wasn't forgone conclusion they would win, but that was the feel they projected. Kudos to Lindy: he coached a great game.

I'm gonna leave Kalinin alone for now; he made few mistakes but made some good plays as well. BUT... did anyone else notice Brian Campbell being a little cavalier with the puck? He had several giveaways that were clearly (to me) mental mistakes. Lindy needs to have a long talk with Brian.

Vanek is back in the saddle. Nuff said.

A quality win.

The one thing I think needs to be addressed is the Biron vs. Miller issue. And my feeling is this: It's not an issue. Biron is okay with whatever roll he gets, even though he always wants to play more. But in a sense he is an MVP type in that he truly does whatever's best for the team. Miller is Miller. He is great. You can't be great every single game, and having Biron on the bench takes that pressure off Miller. I think if Lindy plays Marty 6 or 7 of the next 10 games, Marty will relish the opportunity, Miller will hate it but be a better goalie when his time comes, and the team will, as a team, be better for it.

Think about it: Biron has been with the Sabres a LONG time. My prediction is that his whole career will be as a Sabre, and someday, both #30 and #43 will be retired by the Sabres. They are not the #1 and #2 goalies; they are 1 and 1a.

Bask in this victory. This will be the game when people will look back and agree that the Sabres finally got their groove back. You can take that to tha bank.

Some good points, and a couple I disagree with. I'm fine with Biron pushing Miller for playing time right now. Maybe with Ryan struggling, and Marty getting warm (not quite "hot") Miller will work a little harder on maintaining his focus, and challenging the shooters a little more. IMO, and in most people's opinions, Miller is the guy. He's the same goalie who got us to game 7 of the ECF last year, and he's going to be the guy in the playoffs this year. This rest might be good for him, both now and down the stretch.

Campbell has been a little cavalier with the puck, to use your term, for three or four games now. He had that horribly ill-advised blind pass across the blueline against Boston(or New Jersey?) which Max liked so much he imitated a couple games later, and has had a couple bad giveaways that have really stood out for me.

I don't disagree that Marty might even be with the team next year. I hope not, for two reasons - from the Sabres POV, we could use that $$ to secure Danny & Chris, and from Marty's POV, if he is back, that means he didn't find any takers on the FA market. And I know it's way too early to think of anyone on the current roster who may be lucky enough to see his number joins the Sabres' legends in the HSBC rafters, but my guess is that unless Marty wins a huge Powerball or MegaMillions lotto and buys the franchise, we won't see his #43 up there.

But then again, I could be wrong.

the best have about a 2.0 and the worst have about a 3.0. Ryan is sitting at about 2.7 and rising with each passing game. and it is VERY important. Once the playoffs start - you can't tell your guys "we have to score 4 or we will lose". Ryan needs to be playing well enough that if we need to win 2-1 or 3-2 then he can shut them down. We don't get the luxury of playing the Bruins every playoff series. You aren't going to pound in 6 goals a night against NJ or Montreal. Asking your teammates to get you 4 every night is too much.

Again, Ryan is trending towards a higher GAA with each passing week. It needs to stop. He can't let in the ones he clearly sees, every single night. He needs many more 2 goal games and enough with 3+ night after night.

Good explanation... That is where I thought you'd go. He does need to turn it around and get his GAA BELOW 2.50!

The team needs to help too with an effort they gave Marty tonight... Not sure if that applies though because the goals in question are the one he SEEMS to see...

Again... I do see your point and agree... Just trying to be "pro-Ryan" in case he reads this board... ;) ;) Goalies got fragile heads you know... ;) ;)

Great win tonight. Lose tonight and the conference is that much more in play. It's amazing that Buffalo has scored 60 more goals than NJ and leads by only four points. And more amazing is that NJ has 17 more goals for than goals against in accumulating those 72 points. For comparison purposes, Buffalo has 47 more goals for than goals allowed in accumulating 76 points.

Give the boys a hand for going 2-1 during a difficult schedule week. And they stalled some Ottawa momentum.

Great win tonight. Lose tonight and the conference is that much more in play. It's amazing that Buffalo has scored 60 more goals than NJ and leads by only four points.

Give the boys a hand for going 2-1 during a difficult schedule week. And they stalled some Ottawa momentum.

Really apples and oranges (blue part) given the two different styles of play, schemes/sysytem they employ...

Really both ends of the spectrum... I hope the NHL gets serious about boosting scoring and employs an "illegal defense" penalty when at full strength... That would put teams like the Devs out of business! AND there would be no way to get soft on not calling it from ref to ref!

:chris:

Game thoughts...

-I was at the game last night and thought the crowd was into it. That being said, you idiots in the first few rows of 107 & 108 that were obsessed with starting the wave while the game was going on should not be allowed into another game any time soon.

-That is now 5 out of 6 games where the Sabres had a lead going into the 3rd period and allowed the opponent to tie the game(and in 3 of those 5, the Sabres lost).

-Vanek scored a couple of big goals, but being at the game I noticed at least a couple of times where he was by far the last player back(on either team) coming up the ice and just wasn't skating hard. This was to be addressed come playoff time and that goes for the entire team not just Vanek.

-The giveaway machine needs to be fixed! :angry: Lindy has to stress making the safe play aka smart play more often.

-After them beating us 4 out of 5, I was glad to see the Sabres beat Ottawa and build on the division lead.

-Biron was solid in the nets even though I didn't like the rebound on the first goal ending up right in front of an empty net. Also, Campbell has to pick up the goal scorer on that play. He was within a few feet of him and stood there as the puck went in the net.

GO SABRES!!!!

Good explanation... That is where I thought you'd go. He does need to turn it around and get his GAA BELOW 2.50!

The team needs to help too with an effort they gave Marty tonight... Not sure if that applies though because the goals in question are the one he SEEMS to see...

Again... I do see your point and agree... Just trying to be "pro-Ryan" in case he reads this board... ;) ;) Goalies got fragile heads you know... ;) ;)

Just a little perspective here. Miller's regular season GAA last year (48 games) was 2.6. This year his GAA (40 games) is 2.71. His save save percentage for last (regular) season and this season is .91.

In the playoffs last year, Miller lowered his GAA slightly to 2.57, with the same.91 save percentage as the regular season.

Last year the Sabres averaged 3.4 goals per game, this season, they're averaging 3.7 goals per game.

So Miller's GAA was never below 2.5, but he the team has managed 55 regular season wins and 11 playoff wins with him in net.

Game thoughts...

-The giveaway machine needs to be fixed! :angry: Lindy has to stress making the safe play aka smart play more often.

GO SABRES!!!!

I am starting to wonder if the players realize that the opposition has has enough film on us at this point of the season to anticipate our passes a little better than they did back in november. when the season started, it just looked like tic-tac-toe with us bringing the puck up. that seems to have ended about 20 games ago, but apparently no one has told the sabres.

i gotta think that they'll start playing a little safer with the puck as we get closer to the playoffs.

you would think so anyway.

Archived