Who would like to upgrade this board...

SDS

this version was the last free version, before IPS made it for purchase only. It is a bit long in the tooth and it could really use a new skin.

The cost of a one-year license is $70 (upgrades during that time are free, but you have to renew to get further upgrades or stay at your current version) and a lifteime perpetual license with all future upgrades included is $185.

Would anyone like to chip in, so we can upgrade the software or should we just leave it as it is?

What would the new version do that this one doesn't?

I heard that the new version automatically sends your post in. You don't have to be on the site either. Some kind of new brain wave technology or something.

Geez, there are a ton of things different - a lot under the hood. I assume the newer versions are more secure (eventually, I would expect them to stop releasing security updates for the 1.x series).

Functionally, it is still a message board, so the meat and potatoes stay the same. However, there have been bug fixes, new features, redesigned features, usability improvements, etc... They have some automatic RSS feeds that we would like to explore (a news forum that could grab headlines from around the league with each headline being a topic).

Another possible bonus is that the Bills forum and the Sabres forum could be run off the same user database, so that those that post in both would have a single login/control panel with common PM's, etc...

Geez, there are a ton of things different - a lot under the hood. I assume the newer versions are more secure (eventually, I would expect them to stop releasing security updates for the 1.x series).

Functionally, it is still a message board, so the meat and potatoes stay the same. However, there have been bug fixes, new features, redesigned features, usability improvements, etc... They have some automatic RSS feeds that we would like to explore (a news forum that could grab headlines from around the league with each headline being a topic).

Another possible bonus is that the Bills forum and the Sabres forum could be run off the same user database, so that those that post in both would have a single login/control panel with common PM's, etc...

I'm in when you are ready to splurge...

For those asking, TSW looks like it runs a newer version already. It has more features, but the board will function pretty much the same. I suspect changing the skin is easier in the newer version.

Invision's example board looks newer yet as it has a little orange RSS next to low-fi at the bottom. That would be pretty nice to have here as *most* of the content is worth reading around here.

I'd be willing to donate what I can for the upgrade (Still a student for another semester!) What are you going to do, set up Paypal donations or something?

that would be the scenario if there was enough interest...

Christmas shopping already Scott?

I'm not sure what you are implying, but there is a cost to upgrade the board software and I am looking to cover that cost (or a portion of it) and not a penny more.

Guest brihs2005

ehh... i'll splurge... let us know the info on where and how to send $$... but the compatibility between TSW and TSR would be clutch!!! CLUTCH I SAY!!!

i'm in as long as i can figure out my tax snafu.

It's gotta be bad if you can't spot a tenner.

Seriously, though, assuming you're American (it's so hard to tell these days) and it's personal, not corporate tax, drop me a line & maybe I've got an answer or two. Can't guarantee, but I'll help if I can.

Archived