Additional thoughts

imnotreallyscott

1. Four times in the last two games I've watched Kalinin mishandle a puck in the offensive zone at the blue line, effectively killing an offensive chance. Last game it was two plays in a row.

2. Ottawa simply has our number right now. Ugh.

3. Andrew Peters....Drew Stafford. I can tell you with total ease whom I'd rather see in the line up night after night. Here's a hint: His initials aren't A.P.

4. As I watch our power play look awfully similar to the 7 year olds who come out during intermission, I can't help wish/pray for the return of Tim Connolly.

5. The Buffalo Sabres have the uncanny ability to perfectly spot the exact center of any goaltender's chest in the NHL. They can shoot from anywhere and place that puck right in the middle of the logo. Perhaps someone should let them know it's ok to avoid that spot.

(Edit) The title was supposed to be "As I watch (and cringe at) the Ottawa game."

5. The Buffalo Sabres have the uncanny ability to perfectly spot the exact center of any goaltender's chest in the NHL. They can shoot from anywhere and place that puck right in the middle of the logo. Perhaps someone should let them know it's ok to avoid that spot.

they've avoided that spot more than any team in hockey ... 155 times... I think they will be OK.

I agree our PP is just god-awful right now...perhaps we can decline the penalties and play 5 on 5?

I don't know what the problem is against Ottawa---they have merely been an average to below-average team against everyone else in the league this year except us. Hopefully they play bad enough to miss the playoffs, that's all I can say...

I agree our PP is just god-awful right now...perhaps we can decline the penalties and play 5 on 5?

See, that's the scary part. If this team every figures out the powerplay (it's the same exact guys as last year, minus Scott Arniel... coincidence?), they'll be damn near unstoppable with the number of goals they score.

1. Four times in the last two games I've watched Kalinin mishandle a puck in the offensive zone at the blue line, effectively killing an offensive chance. Last game it was two plays in a row.

2. Ottawa simply has our number right now. Ugh.

3. Andrew Peters....Drew Stafford. I can tell you with total ease whom I'd rather see in the line up night after night. Here's a hint: His initials aren't A.P.

4. As I watch our power play look awfully similar to the 7 year olds who come out during intermission, I can't help wish/pray for the return of Tim Connolly.

(Edit) The title was supposed to be "As I watch (and cringe at) the Ottawa game."

1. Right. Nice job dropping TWO faceoff dumps in the final period on New Year's Day.

2. Same with last year. How far did the Sens get? Remember this when we think the Sabres are dominant over Carolina this year or something.

3. The major difference between Peters and Stafford is that Stafford is a hockey player.

4. The PP is a mess, and I wish Connolly was back, but I don't connect the two.

5. No way. Too many pretty goals this year. Just a bad night got a hold of you, is all.

Hey man, don't diss Peters, he was one of the only players on the ice that played like he usually does, he didn't play any better or any worse then he usually does, Hes a very consistent player

As much as dropping four in a row to Ottawa is making me worry, the bright side is that we generated so many great scoring chances tonight it isn't even funny. Emery made a lot of big stops give him credit. Plus, we just could not cash in. If we cash in tonight we win. It's not like we are being dominated, that's the good thing.

However, who here is truly not worried about the Senators come playoff time? They are not even healthy right now so they probably won't go backwards cause those missing guys will be back. I personally hope we avoid them in the postseason, regardless of how the second half of the year goes against them. I hope they stay in the sixth slot and we can avoid them until the Conference finals at worst if we get the #1 spot. If they get to 4th or 5th, which is very possible, they will win their first round series and we will face them second round, just like last year.

The power play was embarrassing. Maybe we should just mix the units up. Timmy coming back should help by playoff time, but this is terrible right now. We were 1 and 2 most the year in PK an PP last year and finished 2 and 3.

Overall point: Don't necessarily worry because we are not being dominated by this Ottawa team. BUT: Who will not be nervous if we face them playoff time. Be honest

Guys, please settle down. The Sabres couldn't beat Ottawa last year either......until it counted. As for being nervous about facing them in the playoffs, we should be nervous about facing ANYONE in the playoffs. That's what makes the NHL playofffs so great. This is a long, 82 game season that is capped by the toughest tournament in all of sports. When the Cup is lifted by the Sabres at the end of the year all of this negativity we feel right now will feel like a joke to us all. They can't win every game and they can't look great every night. It is impossible. I'll start worrying when the Sabres are down 0-3 in the playoffs. Until then, I'm keeping it positive. JMO.

Guys, please settle down. The Sabres couldn't beat Ottawa last year either......until it counted. As for being nervous about facing them in the playoffs, we should be nervous about facing ANYONE in the playoffs. That's what makes the NHL playofffs so great. This is a long, 82 game season that is capped by the toughest tournament in all of sports. When the Cup is lifted by the Sabres at the end of the year all of this negativity we feel right now will feel like a joke to us all. They can't win every game and they can't look great every night. It is impossible. I'll start worrying when the Sabres are down 0-3 in the playoffs. Until then, I'm keeping it positive. JMO.

I'm not a sky is falling guy. I try to look at things objectively. What stands out to me is that the Sabres didn't lose four games to the Sens, they got beat four times. I see a big difference. Someone pointed out that the Sabres have won four times against Carolina because they had extra motivation and maybe the same was true for Ottawa. I disagree because Carolina wasn't outplayed in the four game series in three of the four games. Buffalo had a stellar first period last night and then crumbled. In the three previous meetings, they simply played horrible. If you don't remember, go check out the GDT on those games. Ottawa is in their heads.

I think you need to throw last year's season series out as a benchmark for anything. They were two different teams. Buffalo is the class of the Eastern Conference and as such should lose, but should not be beaten as happened last night and the three previous games against Ottawa.

It was interesting to listen to the Ottawa broadcast last night. When Ottawa was committing all those turn overs in the first and was outshot 19-7 their broadcasters were dismissing their "dump-in" game. When they turned it around in the second, they called it Rope-a-dope and were praising the play style.

Either way, when Emery played so well in the first and then Heatly got that, what would you call it, golf shot, to go in, the momentum of the game changed. Campbell had him played perfectly. It was either the greatest shot or greatest fluke depending on your mood. But it was a momentum killer. The Sabres looked totally disorganized from that point on. Ottawa is in their heads.

I'm not a sky is falling guy. I try to look at things objectively. What stands out to me is that the Sabres didn't lose four games to the Sens, they got beat four times. I see a big difference. Someone pointed out that the Sabres have won four times against Carolina because they had extra motivation and maybe the same was true for Ottawa. I disagree because Carolina wasn't outplayed in the four game series in three of the four games. Buffalo had a stellar first period last night and then crumbled. In the three previous meetings, they simply played horrible. If you don't remember, go check out the GDT on those games. Ottawa is in their heads.

I think you need to throw last year's season series out as a benchmark for anything. They were two different teams. Buffalo is the class of the Eastern Conference and as such should lose, but should not be beaten as happened last night and the three previous games against Ottawa.

It was interesting to listen to the Ottawa broadcast last night. When Ottawa was committing all those turn overs in the first and was outshot 19-7 their broadcasters were dismissing their "dump-in" game. When they turned it around in the second, they called it Rope-a-dope and were praising the play style.

Either way, when Emery played so well in the first and then Heatly got that, what would you call it, golf shot, to go in, the momentum of the game changed. Campbell had him played perfectly. It was either the greatest shot or greatest fluke depending on your mood. But it was a momentum killer. The Sabres looked totally disorganized from that point on. Ottawa is in their heads.

Those Ottawa announcers were so annoying I couldn't stand it at the end. At least some announcers try not to be biased but these guys just made the game that much harder to watch. It's just little comments that get under your skin, and I can almost see the smug looks on their faces. It makes losing to Ottawa that much worse. For instance, did anyone catch the comment after the fight between Neil and Gaustad. "Neil beat the tar out of a Sabre" I don't even think any punches even landed. I just cannot stand the Canadian team's broadcasts, they make the game unenjoyable.

Those Ottawa announcers were so annoying I couldn't stand it at the end. At least some announcers try not to be biased but these guys just made the game that much harder to watch. It's just little comments that get under your skin, and I can almost see the smug looks on their faces. It makes losing to Ottawa that much worse. For instance, did anyone catch the comment after the fight between Neil and Gaustad. "Neil beat the tar out of a Sabre" I don't even think any punches even landed. I just cannot stand the Canadian team's broadcasts, they make the game unenjoyable.

Well, none were when they were standing. After Gaustad was on the ice, it looked like Neil got in about 4 good ones. <_< (Which, unfortunately, is pretty much a classic Brad May fight. Wrestle the guy to the ice and then throw punches. :thumbdown: )

Well, none were when they were standing. After Gaustad was on the ice, it looked like Neil got in about 4 good ones. <_< (Which, unfortunately, is pretty much a classic Brad May fight. Wrestle the guy to the ice and then throw punches. :thumbdown: )

That is also a classic Max fight. By classic I mean the one from last week.

See, that's the scary part. If this team every figures out the powerplay (it's the same exact guys as last year, minus Scott Arniel... coincidence?), they'll be damn near unstoppable with the number of goals they score.

No coincidence at all. As soon as I heard he was the new HEAD MOOSE our power play was my immediate concern.

A classic Brad May fight? Obviously you have never seen a Brad May fight.

A classic Brad May fight? Obviously you have never seen a Brad May fight.

I've probably seen more of them than you have. While May did have a few good fights (and 1 or 2 great ones), most of the time he hit the guy more times while the other guy was on the ice than he did while the guy was standing.

The key missing ingredient is Connolly.

There were several players that are still around now who put up more powerplay points last year than Connolly did. If you want to mention someone who is gone, why not bring up JP Dumont too? He had 3 less powerplay points but played 9 less games. That makes him sound just as responsible for the success, doesn't it?

Personally, I'm not buying it. I'll stick with the loss of Arniel here. The team is clearly not thinking the right way when it comes to the powerplay. That reflects on the coaching staff.

I've probably seen more of them than you have. While May did have a few good fights (and 1 or 2 great ones), most of the time he hit the guy more times while the other guy was on the ice than he did while the guy was standing.

What ever. May hurt people when he fought them. A lot of guys bailed out of fights with him because he could hurt them.

Archived