Lorentz the man once Rick retires?

PASabreFan

Sorry to create another Lorentz thread, but it's a different topic really.

Is Jim Lorentz the man to replace Rick Jeanneret? I thought Jim was great last night, forgiving him a few mixups of numbers. Remember that Madison Square Garden is considered the worst place to call a game because the press box is so high. Rick once said in that building the players look like "ants with helmets on."

I really like Jim's style. He might be a better play by play guy than an analyst. I have found it interesting through the years that when Rick goes down, Lorentz is the guy they go to. Maybe a clue?

You guys can rag on him, but do you have a better alternative? I shudder at the thought of who LQ might pick to call the games.

As for Roby, I love the man, but he struggled badly. Too many platitudes.

Is Jim Lorentz the man to replace Rick Jeanneret? I thought Jim was great last night, forgiving him a few mixups of numbers. Remember that Madison Square Garden is considered the worst place to call a game because the press box is so high. Rick once said in that building the players look like "ants with helmets on."

I really like Jim's style. He might be a better play by play guy than an analyst. I have found it interesting through the years that when Rick goes down, Lorentz is the guy they go to. Maybe a clue?

You guys can rag on him, but do you have a better alternative? I shudder at the thought of who LQ might pick to call the games.

I'm surprised Quinn hasn't called a game himself.

I really like Roby as a color guy from way back. He was a bit nervous yesterday...but give him 5-10 games to settle in and he'd be a riot. When he worked with Ted Darling, he was great.

Lorenz did fine. He's not going to light the world on fire, but I wasn't cringing as I listened.

I thought Jim was awful early on, and said such in the chat room last night. However, as the game wore on, I thought he really improved.

I, too, like Roby doing color.

I like Roby, he is a chastened snake with smarts of a wounded puma. Strap a mic to him and he'll give

us the truth like a caged gorilla without a meal.

Not to make excuses for Jim, but if I recall correctly, RJ & Jim have talked in the past about how hard it is to determine the numbers on the Rangers sweaters because fo the color combination(blue & red).

After a game, it's way too early to say who will be the new PBP guy. I think they are big shoes to fill, and Lorentz will definetly have the first chance if he wants it, but the i think it's gonna be a long search with many people applying for the job.

And i'm from Rochester too, and no way would Don Stevens ever get that chance. He's alright at best.

I got the Rangers coverage on Center Ice, so I didn't hear Lorentz's call of the game.

I don't see them making Lorentz the longterm replacement for RJ, though. I would expect he isn't too far from retirement himself. I would think they would look for a younger voice.

Jim was good, but his voice is too low. Rick has a very unique voice that grabs people. That's why my 2 year old yells SHAAAUGHT!!! every time he takes a shot. Rick's voice gets people interested and hooked, I don't think Jim is the guy.

Roby was good with the color commentary and I think he would be great long term. Both Roby and Jim can break down plays with the best of them, an ability which makes a good color commentator a great one. I don't see Roby pushing Jim out of the box anytime soon. Although if Rick retires Jim might retire a couple months later, kinda like an old couple where one of them dies first and the other loses the will to live, or in this case: broadcast.

Well leave it to PA to to start a play by play man controversey! We are sailing along through the season and now we will all be arguing over this. Who should call the game? Who do the players like better? It will cause dissession in the locker room. Briere will stop talking to Drury. Max and Vanek will stop passing to each other. This is going to get ugly! Thanks a lot PA!! You just destroyed this organization all by yourself! :lol: :wallbash: :D

my $0.02 is that the sabres need to go outside the organization when it happens... keep lorentz as the color man, but if he were to retire too, you just have to go outside and start completely fresh.

I completely agree. Someone with a lot of good hockey play-by-play experience would be nice.

And please...let's not talk of RJ retiring. I know it's inevitable, but I'd rather it not happen. :unsure:

Does RJ have a son? I might be confusing him with someone else, but I think I remember hearing he has a son also in the business...

Yeah, he sounds exactly like him to. Has a few things to work on. He is doing PBP in the OHL right now and my guess is, if he truly is interested, he will get the job and Rick will teach him a few things.

Archived