Miller Injured?????

cesna

and the durability questions rise again

um no.,.. his only other injury was a broken thumb that required surgery... not a durability issue. If it's a "mild muscle strain" that pretty much equals, "we're going to rest him against the panthers, but if it were the playoffs, this news wouldn't even make it out of the lockeroom." Miller's durability shouldn't really be questioned... Now, if he pulls a quad in february, then a hammy in april, you can question his durability and conditioning, but not now. Plus, we didn't recall a goalie from rochester, so by all accounts, miller will be the backup tonight anyways.

not to beat a dead goat, but i have to agree: what durability issue? miller sustained a freak injury during a practice last year, and made a timely recovery from that injury.

The durability issue arises due to his stature (6'3" 160...same as Biron by the way) I've heard people on NHL Live also bring that up. My point has always been... if you play Biron more... maybe Miller's "durability" won't come into question so much. 3 times in 13 games is too few for a 2 mill dollar backup.

Look on the bright side, if Miller just HAD to get injured this season, it's not a bad thing that it happens at a point where he's not playing at his best, like he was last year.

Not saying he's been bad as such, but I'm sure he'll be the first to tell you that he's not happy with the amount of goals he's allowed of late.

Let him recover and come back refocused.

Miller has never shown evidence he is "durability" impaired. His injury last year was freakish. At Michigan State, he played every game.

My primary concern when I hear a goalie is tweaked is that it is not a groin. We'll see. In the meantime, Marty is more than capable of holding the fort, as he did last year.

um no.,.. his only other injury was a broken thumb that required surgery... not a durability issue. If it's a "mild muscle strain" that pretty much equals, "we're going to rest him against the panthers, but if it were the playoffs, this news wouldn't even make it out of the lockeroom." Miller's durability shouldn't really be questioned... Now, if he pulls a quad in february, then a hammy in april, you can question his durability and conditioning, but not now. Plus, we didn't recall a goalie from rochester, so by all accounts, miller will be the backup tonight anyways.

Lindy said today (on sabres website) that Denis has been recalled and will be the #2 tonight. Stafford was also recalled, but not Paille.

Permit me a bit of speculation: starting tonight, we have 3 games in 4 nights and a total of 6 games in 9 nights (florida, philly, carolina, ottawa, pittsburgh and ottawa again). if Miller has a pulled/strained groin, that could easily be a 7-10 day injury, esp. if we want to play it safe and let him take his time to get healthy. So he could definitely miss the next 3 games and possibly the next 6. If so, it's quite likely we'll see Denis -- and get a little bit of info as to whether he will be Marty's replacement next year.

I'm not buying this at all. Miller is a better road goal and with two of the next three on the road, he is being saved for them. If he is out tomorrow in Philly, then I'll believe.

What do you mean by this? Do you think the team is lying about Miller's injury in order to justify giving Marty the start? ie since Miller has let in 4 goals for 3 games in a row, we are benching Miller to get him focused but covering it up by fabricating an injury.

I probably misinterpreted your post, but I cannot believe this scenario is remotely possible. Miller would know it was BS, as would the entire team, and they would all think less of Lindy. We are off to much too good of a start to pull a stunt like that and risk tampering with team chemistry. Also, given how tight we are under the cap, we wouldn't call up Denis if we didn't need to.

Just my opinion.

Miller has never shown evidence he is "durability" impaired. His injury last year was freakish. At Michigan State, he played every game.

They only play 2 games a week (at most) in college. That really doesn't support whether or not he has the durability needed for the NHL. It doesn't really hurt though either.

Did he have any injury issues at Rochester? Looking at his stats, in 2003-04, he played 74 of a possible 97 games (60 regular season games and 14 playoff games); in 04-05 he played 72 of 92 games (63 regular season games and 9 playoff games.)

Due to his freak injury last year, he still played 50 regular season games (48 wth BUF and 2 with ROC) and another 18 playoff games.

Just on the surface, those numbers would indicate a fairly reliable goalie, health-wise.

Lindy said today (on sabres website) that Denis has been recalled and will be the #2 tonight. Stafford was also recalled, but not Paille.

What do you mean by this? Do you think the team is lying about Miller's injury in order to justify giving Marty the start? ie since Miller has let in 4 goals for 3 games in a row, we are benching Miller to get him focused but covering it up by fabricating an injury.

I probably misinterpreted your post, but I cannot believe this scenario is remotely possible. Miller would know it was BS, as would the entire team, and they would all think less of Lindy. We are off to much too good of a start to pull a stunt like that and risk tampering with team chemistry. Also, given how tight we are under the cap, we wouldn't call up Denis if we didn't need to.

Just my opinion.

Calling up a reserve goalie indeed changes my mind. Let's just say I would not be surprised if the Sabres decided that a little "tweak" needed some rest. Nothing in sports surprises me. I was just embroiled in a discussion on another thread this week where I said injuries happen, he could pull a groin. Damn I didn't mean this week. This team has a major issue with the injury bug. They may be fast and tough, but they are also fragile.

This team has a major issue with the injury bug. They may be fast and tough, but they are also fragile.

Come on, they are no more banged up than anyone else. Look at the list of important players who are hurt or have been for 3 or more games around the league:

Stillman, Kaberle, Havlat, Turgeon, Morneau, Bertuzzi, Walz, Gaborik, Gomez, Emery, Carter, Knuble, Doan, Ricci, Malone, Drake, Orzagh, McKee, DiMaio, Sundin, Raycroft, Salo, Mitchell, Zednik, Sturm, Yelle, Warrener, Handzus, T.Ruutu, Fedorov, Nieuwendyk, Sullivan, Corvo, Redden, Malkin ... I'm sure I missed a few ... guys get hurt all the time, the Sabres are no more fragile than any other team.

Granted, the Sabres lost their leading scorer, top defeneman and starting goalie now, but the team was never built on stars anyway. None of the injuries are season-ending. They will be fine. They probably won't go 12-1-1 over their next 14, but they probably wouldn't have done so with everyone healthy.

The durability issue arises due to his stature (6'3" 160...same as Biron by the way) I've heard people on NHL Live also bring that up. My point has always been... if you play Biron more... maybe Miller's "durability" won't come into question so much. 3 times in 13 games is too few for a 2 mill dollar backup.

i didn't know marty was just as lanky...huh!!!

we'll be fine...if anything get marty into more of a groove than expected...

i agree with you, wjag...just a little rest for a long stretch of games

I'm feeling uneasy about this whole situation... I don't really feel that miller will be out for a long time, since he injured himself working out... however, the MO of the sabres seems to downplay the more severe injuries (i.e. connolly is day to day, tallinder will be fine, mckee is flying to carolina as we speak, etc.). I hope miller really will only be out for a day or two, but a day or two could turn into a week or two before we knew what hit us. My only real complaint about the sabres organization (although, its more a league mentality thing than it is a lindy ruff thing).

if not for denis being called up, i'd have speculated that this might be biron's showcase. biron to phoenix for doan...thoughts?

Why? Where does Doan play? Especially when Max comes back? I'd rather have Paille or Stafford in the lineup with the insurance in goal right now ... if a couple more forwards go down that's one thing.

if not for denis being called up, i'd have speculated that this might be biron's showcase. biron to phoenix for doan (to fill in for timmy this year)...thoughts?

it still could be, but to pull the wool over our eyes about miller is just wrong, but who knows... if miller is well, and marty plays outstanding tonight and tomorrow, he may not be a sabre by next weekend. who really knows at this point. I do know one thing, i'm not worried at all SHORT TERM... Marty Biron did set the record for most consecutive wins last year.

Archived