Miller Injured?????

cesna

if not for denis being called up, i'd have speculated that this might be biron's showcase. biron to phoenix for doan (to fill in for timmy this year)...thoughts?

Not a chance. Even if we had the cap space, which we don't (he makes $3.2 million, which is the same as his cap hit this year, which is about $250K more than Timmy's and a solid $1 million more than Marty's), we are not adding another $3.2 million to the payroll, ie our actual operating costs. He's also a UFA after this year.

Now, one theory I have heard bandied about involving phoenix that is somewhat more likely is Marty in exchange for their #1 pick next year. From our perspective this would be pretty GD tempting since it will probably be a top 5 pick. (This is what makes it highly unlikely IMHO -- I have a hard time believing someone would give us that much for Marty.) I hate the idea of tampering with our chemistry and risking our best shot at the cup in forever without a good backup goalie, but for a top 5 pick we'd have to seriously consider it.

Why is it that EVERY injury that happens it seems people think they are lying? I understand they try to be all vague with the lower-body, upper-body crap, but why in the world would they lie? It makes no sense. Miller wants to play, you think he will like it if they say "We want to showcase Marty, you sit for 3 games (4 now because Marty played the last game) ... and yeah, lie to the press and say you are hurt." And then they go to Marty and say "Marty, we don't want you here anymore, we want to trade you and uproot your family in the middle of a season ... so don't screw up these next few games." And then they call up the kid goalie so he loses experience on the farm AND hurts their already bad salary cap situation.

Love the conspiracy threories. I think Larry Quinn shot Kennedy too, you can see him in a Sluggalo jersey on the grassy knoll ...

Granted, the Sabres lost their leading scorer, top defeneman and starting goalie now, but

I don't disagree with your assessment, but these are beginning to mount. These are key cogs on this team and they are all missing the same games. It is not like they were fourth liners, these are all blue chippers. That will begin to take its toll on the style of play. We are no longer as fast as we could be, as deep as we could be or as good on defense as we could be with these guys on the bench. Plugging in AHLer who can't stay on the big club on non-game nights only excerbates the problem. This forced Peters back into the lineup and left a scorer in Rochester. Talk about being hand-tied.

I don't disagree with your assessment, but these are beginning to mount. These are key cogs on this team and they are all missing the same games. It is not like they were fourth liners, these are all blue chippers. That will begin to take its toll on the style of play. We are no longer as fast as we could be, as deep as we could be or as good on defense as we could be with these guys on the bench. Plugging in AHLer who can't stay on the big club on non-game nights only excerbates the problem. This forced Peters back into the lineup and left a scorer in Rochester. Talk about being hand-tied.

Hey I agree, it's not perfect, I'm just saying it happens in a physical sport. It's not because they are "fragile."

Why is it that EVERY injury that happens it seems people think they are lying? I understand they try to be all vague with the lower-body, upper-body crap, but why in the world would they lie? It makes no sense. Miller wants to play, you think he will like it if they say "We want to showcase Marty, you sit for 3 games (4 now because Marty played the last game) ... and yeah, lie to the press and say you are hurt." And then they go to Marty and say "Marty, we don't want you here anymore, we want to trade you and uproot your family in the middle of a season ... so don't screw up these next few games." And then they call up the kid goalie so he loses experience on the farm AND hurts their already bad salary cap situation.

Love the conspiracy threories. I think Larry Quinn shot Kennedy too, you can see him in a Sluggalo jersey on the grassy knoll ...

I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy. All I know for a fact about the grassy knoll was I wasn't old enough to care,

We as fans don't know what is really going on. Supposedly this happened before this morning but wasn't discussed until someone noticed Miller missed a mandatory skate. Why not come forth when it happened? Why? Because the NHL has adopted a secrecy policy which leads to this type of speculation. We are never told the straight scoop when it comes to what happened and how long they will be out.

Lindy said the injury "flared up," which might be a hint that it's an old injury. How old though? If it was known over the summer, maybe that explains why Marty is still here. If it's a groin, you worry about "flareups." Those things can be murder for a goalie. All speculation. I'm sure Ryan will be fine. Probably. :)

I agree with others who have said the NHL's injury reporting system is a joke.

Why? Where does Doan play? Especially when Max comes back? I'd rather have Paille or Stafford in the lineup with the insurance in goal right now ... if a couple more forwards go down that's one thing.

I would love to get Doan in Buffalo and i'm sure theres way we can do that to fit him into our lineup, but it makes so much more sense to trade for a Ladislav Nagy and a defensman from them then to deal for Doan. If we work Doan into our lineup, yeah it'd be more positives but we are pretty awesome scoring wise and adding Nagy, a guy who can play LW and C, is one of the best defensive forwards in the league, he's not a sniper scorer like Doan but do we really need one?

I think as long as we stick to our game plan and add depth, we will be fine. And dealing for Doan, who knows what we will give up, it probably won't be Biron alone, and for Nagy we get a guy who fits perfectly into our system, is quick, great passer and awesome in his own end and as well we can recieve a defensive player to be our #7 or #8.

Does anyone know each players contract? I know Nagy is a UFA after the year and Doan makes $3.3 this season but idk if he's signed long term.

Personally, i think we need a rent-a-player more then anything else because we gotta re-sign Drury, Briere, Roy and Vanek in the summer. Makes no sense to sign a dude with years left.

There is not much to add really. I think some people are getting a little bent out of shape over a muscle strain. When you exercise regularly muscles get strained from time to time, it's a fact of life. Take a couple days off and it's just like new.

As for Miller's frame making him less effective over the long haul, I don't give this argument much credibility. To me, I think a goalie is the biggest endurance athlete on your team. Maybe I am way off base here, but if you look at athletes in general, the ones with the most endurance are normally smaller. Seeing that the goalie is the only player who is on the ice the whole game, I would place muscle endurance a lot higher than muscle strength for a goalie. It's not like he needs to be in the corners trying to muscle someone off a puck.

"lower body muscle strain" per Lindy. He'll be "evaluated some more". Lindy also said he only expects it to be a couple of days. Last thing is that all three goal tenders are going to Philly...

Doan out 2-3 weeks with back injury... maybe he should take some Doans pills :blink:

i'm sorry. i meant to imply that biron will eventually be shipped out for something, not necessarily doan. i heard the rumor that doan was being shopped, and with the desert dogs in need of a #1 goalie...it only makes sense that they deal with buffalo (and san jose). nagy would be the best direction, actually, for the slugs to go in...imho.

Archived