Marty's Mask

ET1062

Marty's getting more and more on my good side every day, and I'm talking about his game and general attitude here.

He could easily have been a lot more difficult about this whole trade issue, instead he goes out and plays his butt off every time he gets the chance.

Respect.

Wow. Marty's showing some cojones on this one - going to Slabyk himself over the summer to get a design done in the middle of the Slug fallout.

Thank god the sluggalo isn't the biggest hockey story in town anymore!

Goalies have used modified versions of logos all the time. Marty saw something he liked, so he used it. There's nothing more to it than that.

He used the slug on there too. ;)

It looks to me like the slug was either an afterthought or mandatory. It's a decal put on over the rest of the design, look at:

1.) the way it partially covers the design,

2.) the way the colors of the rest of the helmet are muted compared to the Sluggalo...

3.) the gap in the rear view. Side view kinda shows it, but from the bad TV image it could be masterful shadow detail. Rear view makes it perfectly clear that the Sluggalo is an add-on decal.

It looks to me like the slug was either an afterthought or mandatory. It's a decal put on over the rest of the design, look at:

1.) the way it partially covers the design,

2.) the way the colors of the rest of the helmet are muted compared to the Sluggalo...

3.) the gap in the rear view. Side view kinda shows it, but from the bad TV image it could be masterful shadow detail. Rear view makes it perfectly clear that the Sluggalo is an add-on decal.

If it is mandatory, then why doesn't Miller have it on his mask too?

If it is mandatory, then why doesn't Miller have it on his mask too?

If he wasn't told to put it on there, why is it a decal? You spend how much to have an artist air-brush your mask, then stick a decal over it? :unsure:

I can't help but get the feeling that the brass didn't want a non-official logo being the only one on there...

There's no way that the slug is a decal ... first of all, I have tried to put decals on a goal mask, and it does not work because of the curves and ridges in the mask ... you get wrinkles that look like crap. Second, look at it here ... the Itech logo on the forehead actually overlaps on top of the slug, and there are two silver "reflections" painted on the top of the slug. Not to mention that if it was an afterthought, what was there before? I big blank blue space?

We are reading WAY too much into this ... maybe Marty just wanted the actual logo of the team he plays for on his mask ...

But while we are reading into things, what is with the bearclaws on the backplate? I don't remember him ever having that before.

Marty's getting more and more on my good side every day, and I'm talking about his game and general attitude here.

He could easily have been a lot more difficult about this whole trade issue, instead he goes out and plays his butt off every time he gets the chance.

Respect.

well said.

i have two feelings at present: (i) we're going to win that cup. (ii) marty is going to have to play -- at some point in time -- a not insignificant role (on the ice) in making that happen.

There's no way that the slug is a decal ... first of all, I have tried to put decals on a goal mask, and it does not work because of the curves and ridges in the mask ... you get wrinkles that look like crap. Second, look at it here ... the Itech logo on the forehead actually overlaps on top of the slug, and there are two silver "reflections" painted on the top of the slug. Not to mention that if it was an afterthought, what was there before? I big blank blue space?

We are reading WAY too much into this ... maybe Marty just wanted the actual logo of the team he plays for on his mask ...

But while we are reading into things, what is with the bearclaws on the backplate? I don't remember him ever having that before.

I think that logo might be part of what's holding the slug down...look at the bar going across the top of the cage...it's behind the nose of the sluggalo.

I'm just sayin'...

I think that logo might be part of what's holding the slug down...look at the bar going across the top of the cage...it's behind the nose of the sluggalo.

I'm just sayin'...

I see what you're saying, but that's probably some light reflecting off the bar.

They are not bear claws. They are Sabretooth prints, it is the same design as the back of Sabretooths jersey.

would you guys actually see biron taking a pay cut to remain a sabre for life? it's honestly not out of the question...

i would imagine he's going to want to have an honest chance at being a starter on a winning team (unlike the post-Hasek - bankrupcy Sabres).

I think he'll be around this season through the playoffs and hopefully the SCF, but after that we're going to need cap room, and you can't spite the guy for wanting a chance to start while he's in his prime playing years.

would you guys actually see biron taking a pay cut to remain a sabre for life? it's honestly not out of the question...

It is definitely possible, although a remote possibility, kind of like the Phlyers making the playoffs this year. ;)

If he doesn't think he has a legitimate shot to win a starting job with another team giving him an offer, I expect he'd stay in Buffalo. I think there will be a couple of teams that will give him the edge over their other goalie heading into training camp, but I don't think he will be "handed" the starting job anywhere. (Maybe that's wishful thinking. IF he does come back to the Sabres next year I don't see him making what he's making this year unless Drury or Briere isn't back, and it still isn't a given he'll get a raise in that scenario.)

i would imagine he's going to want to have an honest chance at being a starter on a winning team (unlike the post-Hasek - bankrupcy Sabres).

I think he'll be around this season through the playoffs and hopefully the SCF, but after that we're going to need cap room, and you can't spite the guy for wanting a chance to start while he's in his prime playing years.

I'm certain that is the case. The $2.126MM question is: what winning team has a starter that Marty is head and shoulders better than?

I think in order for him to get a #1 job, he will have to either go to a bad team or a young team (or perhaps one that is both).

Archived