GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

was that a variation of a celcius design on the side there?

If I am not mistaken, it looked pretty close to this one.

I think danny broke his hand tonight. That didn't look good on the bench

We had a couple guys go down and limp off to the bench but come back a little while later...I think Vanek & Kotlaik were both stung by shots at one point tonight, and then Danny. Makes me nervous that someone will get dinged up enough to miss just a few games, knowing how close this team is to the cap.

Great to get a win, and let's go for 10 on Thursday. WOOOO!

Great win tonight. Excellent all-around team performance. I thought we were generally outstanding in our own end, esp. Spacek, Tallinder, Teppo and Pominville. Our transition game is just a juggernaut right now.

My 3 stars:

1. Briere

2. Miller

3. Teppo

Here are 3 concerns:

1. Kotalik is off to an awfully slow start. He only has 2 goals on the year and both were fluky. He just doesn't seem that effective on offense. I don't think Lindy's that happy with him either -- he's only getting 11-12 min. per game of ice time, which is the least of any of the top 10 forwards (ie top 3 lines plus Gaustad).

2. Notwithstanding his empty-netter, I thought Vanek had a crappy game tonight. Not enough hustle and no sweet plays in the offensive zone either. I suppose that line was due for a letdown but it seemed like Roy and Max were working harder than Vanek.

3. And the big one: I think we might have a real problem vs. the Islanders on thurs. It's a classic letdown situation -- last game of a 3-game road trip after winning the 1st 2; Islanders aren't highly regarded; sabres just broke the team record for best start to a season, etc. Meanwhile, the Islanders are playing decently and have recorded at least 1 point in 5 games in a row. And I think Ted Nolan's guys are going to go through a wall to try and beat the Sabres for him. We can't mail it in and expect to stroll in and out with a W.

On the other hand, we look look pretty GD awesome...

Go Sabres.

Okay.. How about above average goal tending :blush:

Everytime I look at the conference standings I just shake my head. I can't recall the last time a Buffalo * team lead the league in scoring. Maybe back in the Bills hey dey. But 42 goals is awesome. 5.2 goals per game blows away my expectations for October hockey.

I still disagree. Miller could easily be putting up top 5 stats by the end of the year. Biron has looked great this year as well.

Huet, despite his less than stellar start this year did put up top 5 stats last year, and Aebischer is no slouch either.

Briere gets one tonight. He is playing great

I don't seem to remember him getting a goal. He did have a nice assist though.

Just a few thoughts about the game.

1. Miller had a great game tonight. He was definately there when we needed him. He definately deserved a shutout tonight, but I will take the W!

2. I expected better out of the Habs fans. Anytime there is a penalty on the Habs they boo. Anytime someone on the Habs falls down, they want a penalty. They wanted Vanek called for tripping when someone tripped over his own two feet.

3. I really did not like Kovalev tonight.

4. Campell, if you're going to try to hook someone and take a penalty, at least break up the scoring chance! :lol:

2. Notwithstanding his empty-netter, I thought Vanek had a crappy game tonight. Not enough hustle and no sweet plays in the offensive zone either. I suppose that line was due for a letdown but it seemed like Roy and Max were working harder than Vanek.

Actually, I thought Max was the only one of those three that had a decent game - it seemed like neither Roy nor Vanek could keep up with him tonight. I wonder if it was just an off-game for Derek & Thomas, or if the legs were a little sluggish. Whatever. I think Lindy sent a little warning to Vanek late in the game when he was skating with Mair & Gaustad, and I think they'll get it back on track for Thursday.

Just a few thoughts about the game.

2. I expected better out of the Habs fans. Anytime there is a penalty on the Habs they boo. Anytime someone on the Habs falls down, they want a penalty. They wanted Vanek called for tripping when someone tripped over his own two feet.

3. I really did not like Kovalev tonight.

Well as long as all they do is boo. They paid the price of admission, they're allowed to I think. Not like The Cryers who want to kill the opposition for taking a shot on their net.

Kovalev was a friggin' cheap shot artist tonight, that slash on Briere looked all too intentional to me, like was trying to break his hand. The boarding penalty on Novotny seemed pretty out of place as well.

Here are 3 concerns:

1. Kotalik is off to an awfully slow start. He only has 2 goals on the year and both were fluky. He just doesn't seem that effective on offense. I don't think Lindy's that happy with him either -- he's only getting 11-12 min. per game of ice time, which is the least of any of the top 10 forwards (ie top 3 lines plus Gaustad).

Kotalik was one of my question marks coming into this year, but I'd be more concerned if the Sabres were losing and he was not performing. Keep in mind that his PP time is being reduced due to the presence of Spacek on the PP point along with Pominville's continued emergence(including time on the PP point).

That being said he does have two goals(fluky or not) and hopefully he will get hot soon as he strikes me as the type of player who is streaky. The important thing is that he works hard and contributes in other ways when the puck is not going in the net.

Actually, I thought Max was the only one of those three that had a decent game - it seemed like neither Roy nor Vanek could keep up with him tonight. I wonder if it was just an off-game for Derek & Thomas, or if the legs were a little sluggish. Whatever. I think Lindy sent a little warning to Vanek late in the game when he was skating with Mair & Gaustad, and I think they'll get it back on track for Thursday.

He only took 1 shift with them and that was shortly after Pominville's penalty.

If anything, Lindy was sending the other kind of message - you didn't come up in the rotation on the penalty kill and your line was screwed up right after the penalty kill but we want you on the ice. So take a shift with these guys and then you'll be back on your regular shift when your line is up.

I don't see where double shifting a guy sends a message that he needs to pick up his game. I guess we took different messages from Lindy's decision.

If anything, Lindy was sending the other kind of message - you didn't come up in the rotation on the penalty kill and your line was screwed up right after the penalty kill but we want you on the ice. So take a shift with these guys and then you'll be back on your regular shift when your line is up.

I don't see where double shifting a guy sends a message that he needs to pick up his game. I guess we took different messages from Lindy's decision.

This is what I got out of it too ... most of the time in the second half odf games, someone needs to take Peters spot on that line, and Lindy is not going to give extra ice time to someone who did not earn it. Vanek may not have been as dominant as in recent games, but the effort was there in my opinion.

Although I suspect Dave may be right, and it may have been a case of getting TV back on the ice, we have to remember that Lindy doesn't really have the threat of scratching spmeone right now if they don't play well. His only options for that are to pull a Peters and nail him to the bench in the 3rd, or make the offending player skate with Gaustad & Mair.

In this case, I would argue that unless Lindy told him it was just a double-shift to get him back on the ice, TV probably still "took a hint" from Lindy. At worst, it was an unpleasant reminder of being relegated to the end of the bench from last year.

Anyway it's great to have these kind of things to worry about right now, isn't it?

Too bad his players suck and still lack heart.

Like a dog, Yashin has his days. However, he is so unpredictable considering that monster contract he received a while back. I guess it doesn't matter when you have job security like that.

The Fishstix netminders are hard to figure out as well. DiPietro sometimes doesn't show up, and Dunham will have an occasional "A" game.

BTW, Satan isn't getting any younger, and neither is Zhitnik.