Breaking News: Miller signs 3-year deal

Wild Jay

If this is true, today is turning out to be a great day.

It's true, no doubt about that. WGR is the offical station of the team now, so they're the first to be given this info usually. I think I just heard them say they're going to try to get Regeir on the phone sometime today for an interview.

If this is true, today is turning out to be a great day.

Of coarse today is a good day. It's Friday.

"I know you don't smoke weed, I know this; but I'm gonna get you high today, 'cause it's Friday; you ain't got no job... and you ain't got #%^$#! to do!"

Awesome news...

I am interested to see how much the deal is for - so we can see how the roster finally shakes out, with the cap and all that jazz.

Sorry, PA - couldn't resist some "business side of hockey" talk... ;)

I'm pretty psyched too. I must admit that a little voice keeps telling me that a long-term deal for Miller is risky. There are a lot more 1-year wonder goalies in the NHL than there are those who keep it going year after year.

This raises a few questions:

1. which deal is riskier: this one or Connolly's?

(my guess: about the same. I think we have about a 30% chance that one of the 2 deals will come back to bite us. Overall those aren't bad odds.)

2. how long until we unload Marty?

(my guess: before training camp starts.)

3. if we do unload Marty, who's the #2?

(my guess: I have no idea).

Notwithstanding the above: it's only about 6 weeks until the season starts!!

Go Sabres.

Now bring on the season. I've been waiting far too long for more hockey.

You mean you didn't like that 4 hour commercial fest last night otherwise known as NFL football?

Hockey rules!! Miller signing seals it for the offseason. Get ready Carolina you #%@!&^!*#! chumps!!

Okay Dave, where does this put us cap wise?

its pretty fair to assume now that the cap numbers won't be accurate within the next few days or weeks, due to a marty trade for some prospect or draft picks. With miller signed, we can now pick up a backup in the bob essensa mold (i.e. favorable contract, not the suckitude that bobby e brought to the table)

Okay Dave, where does this put us cap wise?

Using the lower of the 2 values I've seen for Roy's contract puts the Sabres cap # with 21 players on the NHL roster at $43.455MM.

If MacArthur and Mancari were the 2 players to take it to a full 23 man roster, they'd be at $44.558MM. Which is over the limit, BTW.

Going with a 22 man roster, MacArthur would put them over by $67k and Paille would put them over by $215k. If the #'s I've gotten (from multiple sources) are correct, then if Connolly is healthy to start the season (which doesn't seem likely based on Darcy's comments today) then the 22nd player can have a maximum average salary of ~$545k for the Sabres to stay under the cap.

EDIT: If Timmy is on BLTI-IR at the break of camp, the Sabres will be able to exceed the cap by somewhere between $2.42-$2.97MM while he is on BLTI-IR.

Also, with the 21 NHLers the Sabres have signed, the actual salary is just a hair over $4MM less than the average annual salary. (MacArthur or Mancari would increase that gap VERY slightly, and Paille is on a 1 year deal so he wouldn't affect it at all.)

its pretty fair to assume now that the cap numbers won't be accurate within the next few days or weeks, due to a marty trade for some prospect or draft picks. With miller signed, we can now pick up a backup in the bob essensa mold (i.e. favorable contract, not the suckitude that bobby e brought to the table)

Actually, on WGR ~an hour ago, Darcy pretty much said flat out that Marty will be on the roster on opening day.

The place where the team will get cap relief initially is from Connolly likely going on BLTI-IR.

The team will have to make some sort of a move before the season is over, but as stated in another thread, IF Connolly doesn't miss the entire season AND he can come back to the level he was at before he got injured, then the Connolly injury actually helps the Sabres to a small degree (because it helps them with the Salary Cap).

I'm very glad Miller is signed, but I would have preferred a one year contract. nfreeman mentioned which contract is riskier Miller's or Connolly's? I'd say Connolly, but Miller is also a risky investment. 18 million dollars tied up on a goalie who has one year in the books and a forward who has serious concussion problems.

I don't think Marty is going anywhere, but I'd certainly like to see him get a shot as a #1 somewhere else.

GO SABRES!

Where are all of the Regier bashers??? The anti-Regier brigade had been strangely silent the last six or so weeks.

I'm right here, I was supposed to be quiet because I made a deal that if no one continually bashed the new logo I would stop with regier. But since you brought this up,

Thats great, he did his job and signed our #1 goalie a week before camp starts, get this man the GM of the year award. He is still dangerously close to the cap limit right now and still has a backup goalie making more then his starter. What is there to be so proud of that I would think he is now a great GM? Cause he resigned RFA Ryan Miller? Thats something no one else could do :rolleyes:

As for being quiet for the last 6 weeks, Regier and the Sabres (heck the entire NHL) has been quiet for that same amount of time, i'm not going to sit here making up stuff to get pissed off about with Regier.

Calm down people. We're close to the cap. Big deal. So are most teams (I know - not all of them, I don't need the details).

The difference is - we are close to the cap with a legitimate chance to win the Cup. It's worth it.

If we would have let a lot of veterans go, you'd be complaining that they don't want to field a contender.

Well, we're fielding a contender so stop complaining and start enjoying!

Oh yeah, it's NOT 6 weeks until the season starts. It's only 26 days!

I'm right here, I was supposed to be quiet because I made a deal that if no one continually bashed the new logo I would stop with regier. But since you brought this up,

Thats great, he did his job and signed our #1 goalie a week before camp starts, get this man the GM of the year award. He is still dangerously close to the cap limit right now and still has a backup goalie making more then his starter. What is there to be so proud of that I would think he is now a great GM? Cause he resigned RFA Ryan Miller? Thats something no one else could do :rolleyes:

As for being quiet for the last 6 weeks, Regier and the Sabres (heck the entire NHL) has been quiet for that same amount of time, i'm not going to sit here making up stuff to get pissed off about with Regier.

I thought you were mad that they weren't spending enough before.

And would it have made any difference if Miller was signed 2 months ago? Getting him signed before camp is all that matters.

3 year deal for less then Beer-on? Mixed thoughts about this. Thinking that maybe we could have went for longer. Especially if its lower than the backup, so it must be fairly low league wide. He has a ton of potential. There seemed to be quite a few of 2-3 year contracts this summer by Reiger on alot of these young guys. I take that as either:

1. Guys had a career year, won't get better and he doesn't want to lock them up long term.

or

2. Were screwed 3 yrs down the road, when these guys keep performing and start looking for McKee type money.

Most will still be under 30 in 2-3 years. The CAP is only going to go up, so will the salaries, you can take that to the bank. I don't think these contracts are guaranteed, so we could dump a under performer early in contract if needed. I woulda prefered 4yr deals.

We better be drafting well, cause if we have a hard time keeping a bunch of "unknowns" this year, wait a year or two when we start winning all those CUPs!!!

This team, as we know it will be gone in 3 years. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too!!!

Buckle up boys, this seems to be the best push we could make! I'll take it, sit back and enjoy the show.

Archived