Anyone else hear Dumont's comments on Channel 2 news tonight?

Goodfella25

I don't have a transcript or anything, but just to sum it up for ya, they interviewed him on a golf coarse (there's a shocker) and he said that he only wants a 1 year deal and is expecting that after arbitration. He's refusing to go with a longer deal to stay in Buffalo because, as he put it, "There's a lot of big contracts out there" which he plans on going after next offseason...a.k.a. he is outta Buffalo.

That kind of attitude gets to me and the fact that he's saying it now only implies that he doesn't want to be here.. We still have a glut of forwards and his arrogance has instantly made me want him outta here.

Last season: 54GP, 20G 20A, 40PTS...that's pretty good, no doubt about it. But we can get something good for him probably...what do you think????

Players have taken notice that Buffalo is cheap and cannot afford to pay their players.

You can make this out to be a Dumont thing, but it doesn't help when your team refuses to and cannot afford to spend up to the cap limit.

If I was a player I'd be doing the same thing. Team loyalty only goes so far, at some point you need to take care fo yourself financially.

You can bet the farm that any player who feels they can make more then what Buffalo would offer will be looking for the door ASAP.

I don't have a transcript or anything, but just to sum it up for ya, they interviewed him on a golf coarse (there's a shocker) and he said that he only wants a 1 year deal and is expecting that after arbitration. He's refusing to go with a longer deal to stay in Buffalo because, as he put it, "There's a lot of big contracts out there" which he plans on going after next offseason...a.k.a. he is outta Buffalo.

That kind of attitude gets to me and the fact that he's saying it now only implies that he doesn't want to be here.. We still have a glut of forwards and his arrogance has instantly made me want him outta here.

Last season: 54GP, 20G 20A, 40PTS...that's pretty good, no doubt about it. But we can get something good for him probably...what do you think????

He was golfing as part of a fundraiser for Carly's Club. Now when you're on vacation do folks rip apart what you do? He is on vacation in sorts.

As for the comments I must have totally missed him saying what you put up there, wouldn't be the first time I missed a whole section of an interview.

Now when you're on vacation do folks rip apart what you do? He is on vacation in sorts.

Well, if I was on vacation and someone (in the media) asked me about my future employment, I would tell them I love my job and hope to stay with my current organization for the foreseeable future. If I had told them I thought my boss was cheap and I was hoping to leave as soon as possible to cash in at an opportune time, I would expect to have the locks changed on my office door and to look elsewhere for employment. Maybe it's just me though... :rolleyes:

Good for Dumont. I really doubt Buffalo is "cheap". They are positioning the team to be competitive in the future. Dumont and all the NHL players know that this offseason and next will bring some huge contracts and then the league revenues will start to level off. Teams stuck with the big contracts won't be in a very good position. The salary cap will take affect. PLayers have a window now and want next seasons payday before the window closes.

Let's face it, Buffalo hit lightning in a bottle this past season. We should have won the Cup. We didn't. You can't expect them to resign all those guys for big bucks. They are taking the New England Patriot approach that no player is bigger than the team. The Sabres may have to stand back in line for the Stanley Cup hunt but I'd rather they be financially healthy and positioned to be competitive for years to come.

The fact that Dumont would only want to sign a one year contract doesn't bother me at all. I don't believe he is one of the core guys that Darcy needs to focus on signing and I've gone on record as saying that I wouldn't mind seeing Kotalik or Dumont moved in a package with Biron prior to the season. If he plays this year and gets traded at the deadline, that would be okay too.

JP is a good player who can be above average when he wants to be.

Once again, Darcy isn't going to be able to sign everyone. Some players will be traded, some will be allowed to walk. That's just the way it is.

They should sign dumont, and then, if need be, trade him at the deadline to someone who needs a rent-a-player. I've got issue with what dumont said. Sure, that's the name of the game jp, but you don't go to the media and SAY IT. He's done after next year either way, unless he goes in the tank. then he might be forced to resign with buffalo if they offer a modest contract.

Let's not overreact to this ... if anything it could be a good thing because Dumont will be playing for his next contract this season and they at least should get a good year out of him.

The only thing that concerns me about his attitude is what i have been saying on here for weeks ... people are ripping regier for not getting Briere and others signed to long-term deals, but these guys DON'T WANT THEM! They WANT to hit the market next season because they see the money getting thrown around. So what worries me is not Dumont's attitude so much as the fact that Briere might be thinking the same thing, that it makes good business sense to hit the market ASAP.

We all want these guys to get emotional and take a hometown discount, but that is not reality. Briere could make $6 million a year if he has a good year, why would he stay for $4 million? That's a 50% difference ... if the average person could make $75,000 one place and $50,000 another, which would he choose? It's not that they are bad guys or bad teammates.

I don't understand how a lot of you can be so cold-hearted and crass about the business of hockey, almost obsessively worried about ensuring the struggling Tom Golisano a profit, then get all emotional and illogical when a player takes the same tack. It works both ways. Both sides will do what benefits them.

Now, about the "Patriot approach." I don't know. No player is bigger than the team? Tom Brady isn't? You know what that guy makes? Are the Patriots Super Bowl champs several times over without that guy? What are they right now without him? It seems to me the Sabres with Hasek in goal were more like the Patriots than they are now. I guess I don't get it. If keeping payroll low, getting rid of players once they hit their big contract and plugging in cheap spare parts is the key to success, how come everyone isn't doing it? When you find a Hasek or a Brady and surround them with a good coach and enough talent, that's when you win. Luck might have more to do with winning in sports than people think. Darcy has said as much about "The Plan."

I don't understand how a lot of you can be so cold-hearted and crass about the business of hockey, almost obsessively worried about ensuring the struggling Tom Golisano a profit, then get all emotional and illogical when a player takes the same tack. It works both ways. Both sides will do what benefits them.

Now, about the "Patriot approach." I don't know. No player is bigger than the team? Tom Brady isn't? You know what that guy makes? Are the Patriots Super Bowl champs several times over without that guy? What are they right now without him? It seems to me the Sabres with Hasek in goal were more like the Patriots than they are now. I guess I don't get it. If keeping payroll low, getting rid of players once they hit their big contract and plugging in cheap spare parts is the key to success, how come everyone isn't doing it? When you find a Hasek or a Brady and surround them with a good coach and enough talent, that's when you win. Luck might have more to do with winning in sports than people think. Darcy has said as much about "The Plan."

No doubt the Sabres are doing things the way they are to try and keep as many of their players who suddenly came into their own this past season, but I doubt it was The Plan ... I'm not saying it won't work, but there is more than one way to skin a cat ...

I think you can win with a couple high-priced guys and a supporting cast, but the risk is that if the high-priced guys get hurt or go in the tank and suck (like Gonchar for the Pens last season), you have NO chance of winning because you money is tied up in guys not helping. That is a risk that is harder to take if you are a small-market team like the Sabres. They can't afford to miss if they are going to throw money at someone. I think that of the guys on the current team, the guy they will end up throwing money at will be Miller ... maybe they lose briere because of that decision, but Miller is younger and plays the most important position ...

This got way off track ...

I don't think Dumont is exactly the Sabres version of Tom Brady. It would be more than a stretch to say that he is. I am pretty sure we will spend money on the players we need to (Briere, Drury, Miller, Tallinder).

It gets frustrating when you put words in people's mouth. No one here is arguing that the key to success is filling a roster with guys making the league minimum. Most of us are just saying to not spend more than a player is worth. If going out and throwing money at every free agent who will take it was the key to success, Pittsburgh, Philly and Toronto would have all made deep playoff runs.

Good for Dumont. I really doubt Buffalo is "cheap". They are positioning the team to be competitive in the future. Dumont and all the NHL players know that this offseason and next will bring some huge contracts and then the league revenues will start to level off. Teams stuck with the big contracts won't be in a very good position. The salary cap will take affect. PLayers have a window now and want next seasons payday before the window closes.

Let's face it, Buffalo hit lightning in a bottle this past season. We should have won the Cup. We didn't. You can't expect them to resign all those guys for big bucks. They are taking the New England Patriot approach that no player is bigger than the team. The Sabres may have to stand back in line for the Stanley Cup hunt but I'd rather they be financially healthy and positioned to be competitive for years to come.

I agree entirely, Zow. I'd made this point -- in a slightly different tone -- in another thread about Briere. My point there was that it seems like we're headed for a period of flux for a few years where mid-level guys like Dumont and quasi-superstars like Briere (that's no knock on him, mind you) will get contracts that will likely prove too costly, both on a cap space level and on a bottom line cost level. So while that likely makes the Sabres' tack the right one, it does not mean that we won't suffer some pain along the way.

Let's not overreact to this ... if anything it could be a good thing because Dumont will be playing for his next contract this season and they at least should get a good year out of him.

The only thing that concerns me about his attitude is what i have been saying on here for weeks ... people are ripping regier for not getting Briere and others signed to long-term deals, but these guys DON'T WANT THEM! They WANT to hit the market next season because they see the money getting thrown around. So what worries me is not Dumont's attitude so much as the fact that Briere might be thinking the same thing, that it makes good business sense to hit the market ASAP.

We all want these guys to get emotional and take a hometown discount, but that is not reality. Briere could make $6 million a year if he has a good year, why would he stay for $4 million? That's a 50% difference ... if the average person could make $75,000 one place and $50,000 another, which would he choose? It's not that they are bad guys or bad teammates.

Bottom line....If some Sabres players are thinking about short term deals so that they can seize the pot of gold at the end of the UFA rainbow, so are players all over the league. Since there is only so much BIG money to go around, the Sabres will have the opportunity to grab a quality player off the UFA market for every player they lose in this manner. It's the free agency way of life.

just a sidenote...Too many fans(not specifically you) got caught up in the "we need to keep the team together" mentality, but in reality, this is almost impossible.

just a sidenote...Too many fans(not specifically you) got caught up in the "we need to keep the team together" mentality, but in reality, this is almost impossible.

Yeah ... actually, it's not almost impossible ... it's totally impossible ... it's just the way it is ...to get the cap that was needed for markets like Buffalo to survive, free agency had to come into play earlier and more than ever before ... it happened in the NFL too ... I can live with it, but many fans get caught up in the here and now instead of the big picture. I guess that's fine, but they will be very frustrated most of the time, because the Sabres will never be able to throw a ton of money at trying to win the Cup in one season at the expense of the future, and the days of guys spending their careers with one team are long gone.

So many times people complain about a player not admitting that it's all about the money. Now JP admits it and he's a villain? Also, why does saying that he'll test the market guarantee that he'll no longer be in Buffalo? Didn't Spacek test the market?

I like the idea of having tallented players about to hit free agencey. Players like Dumont and Briere will be looking to prove what they can do. It would be nice to see either of them play well for an entire season. Which they have yet to prove they can do.

There was a time in sports when a one year deal is all you got. I wouldn't mind seeing sports go back to that way of doing business. Instead of a player having one good season (or in Briere's case 48 games) and getting paid for that season for the next three to four years, ;)

So many times people complain about a player not admitting that it's all about the money. Now JP admits it and he's a villain? Also, why does saying that he'll test the market guarantee that he'll no longer be in Buffalo? Didn't Spacek test the market?

What did JP gain by letting the cat out of the bag now? It will just draw the ire of fans who will be quick to boo his actions on the ice.

I don't think Dumont is exactly the Sabres version of Tom Brady. It would be more than a stretch to say that he is. I am pretty sure we will spend money on the players we need to (Briere, Drury, Miller, Tallinder).

It gets frustrating when you put words in people's mouth. No one here is arguing that the key to success is filling a roster with guys making the league minimum. Most of us are just saying to not spend more than a player is worth. If going out and throwing money at every free agent who will take it was the key to success, Pittsburgh, Philly and Toronto would have all made deep playoff runs.

Good post, that's basically what i meant. Obviously the Sabres (like every other team) will have to invest in some core guys like Miller.

Hey, if Tommy G. likes short-term contracts so much, how about season tickets that are refundable after each month of the regular season? Hmmm?

hopeles, I wasn't saying Dumont is our Tom Brady! I was just ridiculing the notion that New England has this master plan that works to perfection. IMHO, their "plan" works only because the Pats have Tom Brady -- and, oh yeah, Bill Belichick. I guess I just don't like master plans. Hitler's rubbed me the wrong way, then you had all those nutty Soviet five-year plans.

Dumont wanting a 1 year deal works out perfectly for the Sabres. His arbitration number will be kept low due to his injury last season; he'll be highly motivated playing for a big UFA contract; and he's not considered a core player.

His low cap number will give the team room to sign Briere, Miller, and Tallinder to longer term deals, and if he walks after helping the Sabres win the Cup, so be it.

Dumont wanting to bust his butt this season for potential UFA riches may work out in Buffalo's best interests in the long run.

To me, in the grand scheme of FA, Dumont is a "tweener". He is an above average player with a decent scoring touch and the ability to play mean when he feels like bringing that part of his game. He also has had a tendency in the past to disappear for stretches. I don't see him being the sort of player that will command the $4MM+ salary that he is likely dreaming of. He also isn't a wet behind the ears rookie nor a barely hanging on journeyman, either of whom would play for the league minumum.

Those studs and also rans are the types of players that are best served by FA, because everyone (the player, the team, (and even the fans to a degree) know what the player is worth and the owners and GM's are willing to give those guys their "fair" share of the pie.

It gets a bit more interesting for the guys like Dumont, who are definitely productive in the league but are not in the elite category. Unless they have an absolute breakout year (which would definitely work out well for Buffalo's SC run this season), they need to luck into having a champion that just absolutely has to have him (see John Davidson, re: Jay McKee), or they won't get the "big" bucks.

I think Dumont could see $3MM+ in UFA, but I'd be surprised to see him get $4MM+ (of course, what do I know, I said there was very little possibility, if any, that McKee would get $4MM) short of having a monster year. If he is in the low $3MM range, he could very well end up back in Buffalo depending upon how things are shaping up next July.

If he does end up with a 1 year deal, as it appears he will, he'll definitely be playing for that next contract and the Sabres can expect to get solid production from him. If so, and the SC run is shaping up like it could, a productive Dumont will either be integral to that run (and the Sabres can take their chances on re-signing him) OR could get packaged (with Biron perhaps) to bring in the 1 missing piece (whatever that happens to be). If the SC run doesn't look realistic, then a productive Dumont could be dealt for a solid prospect and the Sabres at least retain some value for the asset if Darcy thinks other teams will place a higher value on his services. Either way, increased production out of him this season will be a good thing.

Knowing the Sabres will have guys leave each year, I'd rather it be Dumont than Tallinder that the Sabres lose next summer. (Although my preference would be to lose neither.)

Players have taken notice that Buffalo is cheap and cannot afford to pay their players.

You can make this out to be a Dumont thing, but it doesn't help when your team refuses to and cannot afford to spend up to the cap limit.

Funny Spacek apparently didn't take notice of this when he was signing for more than $3 million a year.

There is a difference between being cheap and picking your spots to spend your money. No doubt the Sabres will not spend to the cap limit, but neither will half of the league, I'm not sure it makes them all "cheap."

And by the way, Golisano didn't become a billionaire by spending more than he makes and running his companies into the ground. For some reason that seems to be what some want him to do with the Sabres. Let's let the thing play out and see where payroll is this season. It's looking like it will be quite a bit higher than last season ... responsible without being "cheap."

Archived