Ouch

Corp000085

"I'm very disappointed with Buffalo," McKee, 28, said in a phone interview.

"I understand they might want to stay within a budget, but you also want to feel appreciated for all the years of service you put in there."

from the toronto sun article on the homepage...

I don't know how to take this. Is it a slap in the sabres faces? Is it taken out of context? Apparently he was offered $2 million per year and turned that down. I'm guessing, since its coming from the toronto media, that it was taken out of context. Either way, so long Jay McKee. It's been nice.

He's worth 2 mil a year, and that's fair...but with the hype he got in the 06 play-offs, there is a bigger pay-day for him. The only reason he is commenting on how disappointed he is with the Sabres offer, is that he doesn't want you all to boo him when he comes back to town playing for some other team at 4 mil a year.

He's worth 2 mil a year, and that's fair...but with the hype he got in the 06 play-offs, there is a bigger pay-day for him. The only reason he is commenting on how disappointed he is with the Sabres offer, is that he doesn't want you all to boo him when he comes back to town playing for some other team at 4 mil a year.

i'd boo him more because of this tactic. i'd boo way less if he simply said "business decision"

Witness one of the few errors of last offseason: failure to sign McKee to a long-term deal when it's all he wanted, and when he could have been had for $2m/yr. I understand that Regier wanted to wait and see how the new NHL economics (and rules) played out, and in most respects, I think management did an amazing job. But this mistake sticks out.

MCKee is 100% correct, what kind of lowball offer was that. 2 million for a top D-man in the NHL. What iwll other top notch D-Man get and have gotten.

A player that plays with great heart and pride. He is going ot leave, and the Sabres are not going to be anyhwere near the cup in 2006-2007 if this is what we can expect from the franchise and player sigings.

this team is defintely heading backwards next year, just like we did after the 1999 cup run. Couldn't add the pieces needed then, and were going to let intricate pieces leave.

Looks like we have a small market attitude to match or small market team, and our small market budget.

I'm sure teams capable of spending to the cap limit will beloving the addition of a Jay McKee to their team. We are defintiely not going to be a better team letting players walk.

Witness one of the few errors of last offseason: failure to sign McKee to a long-term deal when it's all he wanted, and when he could have been had for $2m/yr. I understand that Regier wanted to wait and see how the new NHL economics (and rules) played out, and in most respects, I think management did an amazing job. But this mistake sticks out.

I think Reiger is looking like a fool now. Leaving all those players unsigned was a fools move. There was no intelligent reasoning for not trying to wrap up a few of those players last year and taking some pressure off this years needed signings

So long Jay. Don't let the door hit you in the a$$.

Let the Maple Leafs overpay again. It's why they will always be a joke.

Overpay ?

He's worth it, or didn't you watch him play last season ?

It may be why the leafs never get better, but its also why the Sabres never progress past brides maids

Jay had a his first season in a long time without losing 20+ games due to injuries last year, plus the last time he got a new contract he honored it by having his worst season ever.

Sorry, but signing him to a one year deal to see if he'd stay healthy was the right move, and players in a contract year usually perform well.

However, I agree that only offering him 2 mill. is lowballing beyond belief, I would've expected them to come up with something around the 2.5-3 mill. mark.

This Jay situation has made me wonder about the policy of not negotiating with players during the season. Couldn't the organization have avoided this mess by trying to sign him to a multiyear deal in February? They could see he that was still capable, the team was headed to be a playoff team... but there was no playoff hype surrounding him. No one could have predicted the Jay would end up in the spotlight in a Sabres defense storyline, but they probably should have known that he'd be worth more coming off a playoff series (or 3).

It just seems to me that 2 mil/season for 3/5 years would have been more likely midseason. Plus it eliminates the July 1st/other team offers from the equation.

I would of liked to see something around 2.5 mil also as an offer. The day the season ended I started feeling queasy about how we were going to do. We're going to lose McKee, and Grier, and eventually Biron, so are team of last year is gone. Sorry, but signing a bunch of D prospects doesnt not make me feel better about next season. I am also sad cause Jay taking public shots at the Sabres just says "I am not willing to negotiate with you, I want more money", so see you Jay, enjoy Toronto and the extra taxes you'll be paying on your increase. Your check is not at par buddy.

Jay had a his first season in a long time without losing 20+ games due to injuries last year, plus the last time he got a new contract he honored it by having his worst season ever.

Sorry, but signing him to a one year deal to see if he'd stay healthy was the right move, and players in a contract year usually perform well.

However, I agree that only offering him 2 mill. is lowballing beyond belief, I would've expected them to come up with something around the 2.5-3 mill. mark.

2 million per year is a serious low-ball offer. :angry: 2.5 would have been fair. 3 million is too much with the tightwad budget Darcy is working with.

OK, let's just make one thing clear: no one knows exactly what the offer was -- but it is definitely MORE than $2 million per year. The only source for any of this info is an unattributed statement in the Toronto Sun that it was "a multi-year offer from the Buffalo Sabres believed to be worth just slightly more than $2 million per season. "

I would bet this came from McKee's agent, who is trying to position McKee as being worth much more than "slightly more than $2 million".

Does anyone know what "just slightly more than $2 million" means? is it $2.1 million? $2.25 million? who knows? But it's definitely more than $2 million and as such hardly an insult to someone who made $1.6 million (I think) last year -- ie about a 30% raise.

If McKee is willing to sign in the $2.5 million range, the Sabres' offer is something that invites a counteroffer with a final agreement being very reachable. If he thinks he's worth $3.5 million -- bless him, I hope he gets it.

So those of you who are so eager to bash Darcy, TG, etc. -- you and I may completely disagree on whether the Sabres are taking the right approach to their budget, but pls don't misrepresent the facts.

Jay McKee is good guy. He is a good player. But this team does not need to overpay for him. $2.5 tops. If he doesn't feel he can live off of that salary, let him go to the Leafs and be out of the playoffs again.

It's all cyclical. Another will come along. McKee is getting older and he is injured a lot. If he goes, it's been swell. No point crying over it.

It's not like losing a Pronger or a Lidstrom. We smile and move on. We'll be just fine if he wants to play for the $$$ and not be on a Cup contending team. Hope he has fun playing with a goof like McCabe!!!

This Jay situation has made me wonder about the policy of not negotiating with players during the season. Couldn't the organization have avoided this mess by trying to sign him to a multiyear deal in February? They could see he that was still capable, the team was headed to be a playoff team... but there was no playoff hype surrounding him. No one could have predicted the Jay would end up in the spotlight in a Sabres defense storyline, but they probably should have known that he'd be worth more coming off a playoff series (or 3).

It just seems to me that 2 mil/season for 3/5 years would have been more likely midseason. Plus it eliminates the July 1st/other team offers from the equation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the players who don't want to negotiate during the season.

I got a nasty feeling their agents are all telling them "wait for the off-season, then see them cough up the bucks".

At any rate, Buffalo just doesn't have funds to compete, which means we're back to being an NHL farm team again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the players who don't want to negotiate during the season.

I got a nasty feeling their agents are all telling them "wait for the off-season, then see them cough up the bucks".

At any rate, Buffalo just doesn't have funds to compete, which means we're back to being an NHL farm team again.

Actually Jay made a comment around Mid season i believe that he wanted to work out a long term deal with Darcy and it was Darcy who said he does not discuss contracts during the season as e does not want to effect team chemistry and cause distractions while the players are playing

Actually Jay made a comment around Mid season i believe that he wanted to work out a long term deal with Darcy and it was Darcy who said he does not discuss contracts during the season as e does not want to effect team chemistry and cause distractions while the players are playing

You are absolutely correct.

I'm sorry...thats complete . If you get #%^$#! done during the season, u can get them for cheaper. Jay must not be in their plans.

I'm on management's side on this one. Who knows what really happened this season with the contract offers. Jay is a leader and it will suck to lose him, however, its a hell of a lot easier to lowball a shot blocking expert like mckee than to lowball miller or briere. The sabres had a budget plan and they're sticking to it. Jay knows this, and shouldn't have made those comments (unless they're taken out of context). When its all said and done, i'd love to measure this past season up with next season and see who gets screwed over. I just have a feeling that the jay mckee that will come to play next season will be worth $2million, not 4-5 million.

I'm sorry...thats complete . If you get #%^$#! done during the season, u can get them for cheaper. Jay must not be in their plans.

well, consdiering Darcy was the one that came out and said, "We do not talk contracts during the season, and we won't sit down with him until the end of the season" How is that when it came directly from Darcy Regier himself??????

I'm Sure Jay Mckee is making it all up though, since he probably wants out of the franchise so he won't have to wear the new jerseys that are going to cost us atleast 20 wins this year because they are horrible.

Guys, guys, guys. Don't give up the ship because they are losing McKee. Regier wants to spread the money and have a balanced attack, like last year. Guys like McKee succeeded due to the over-all strong play of every player. Balance.

The Sabres will have that again this year. Teams who overpay are the ones who have to fill out the 3rd and 4th lines and the 4th, 5th and 6th d-men with glorified AHLers. The Sabres have 20 legitimit NHL pro's on their team. Maybe not elite players, but high-quality pros. I take that anyday.

Look what happens to teams with a few high-profile players and nothing else. The Canucks lose without Naslund and Bertuzzi going. The Flyers lose without Forsberg going. The Senators lose when Alfredsson, Heatley and Spezza disappear. This is especially true in the new NHL, where teams can't afford to have triple the pay-roll of Buffalo.

Where did Detroit go this year when Shanahan, Lang and #13 dropped off? Calgary went bye-bye even with Iginla. St.Louis, Lecavalier and Richards couldn't get it done for Tampa Bay.

We'll compete next year, and if Miller continues where he left off in his development, we have an elite player in the only position that you really need one.

Leafs tee-time, 9 months and counting. good luck Jay.

well, consdiering Darcy was the one that came out and said, "We do not talk contracts during the season, and we won't sit down with him until the end of the season" How is that when it came directly from Darcy Regier himself??????

I'm Sure Jay Mckee is making it all up though, since he probably wants out of the franchise so he won't have to wear the new jerseys that are going to cost us atleast 20 wins this year because they are horrible.

McKee was the 2nd highest paid defenseman on the Sabres this year, even though was the 3rd or 4th in the rotation, which is a demotion from a few years back, when he and Warner were the top pair. He doesn't play the power play, and was even in +/-.

Sure he plays with heart and soul, but so do a dozen other Sabres. And he is a leader, but the Sabres are strong there too, being the only team in the league with two captains.

All this sky-is-falling talk if McKee leaves makes me wonder if people actually watched the Sabres last season. McKee's been a great Sabre, but on this team, $2 million or so is the right offer for him. That's not to say that a team without a #1 d-man, lacking leadership, won't offer him much more.

And if ugly uniforms cause teams to lose games, the Hurricanes would have missed the playoffs this season.

Archived