Lindy Put it Best

We played the worse two periods of the playoffs tonight. yes the officiating sucked, ryan let up a soft goal but we were flat for most of thi sgame and let the canes push us around. Its time to send a message and let the canes know they are now in OUR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. Good team respond to bad performances, and our Sabres are a good team

I'd pull an Ozzie Guillen and throw 'em "under the bus"... They played like crap for the most part and turned it on at the end... Did you notice their "luck" change when they started skating?...

They actually started the game taking it to the 'Canes... Falling behind (second 'Canes PP) got to them...

If this team is the real deal?, they can't let anything (including Lindy being hard on them) get to 'em.

Call it like you see it Lindy, the enthusiasm wasn't there after they got down 2-1...

Its time to send a message and let the canes know they are now in OUR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone who isn't going yet grow a set and buy tix for game 5!!! And let's give our Sabres a home feel advantage in game 5 as well. You can still get 8 tix in a row in the 200s and 300s!!! get a move on B-)

It was frustrating to watch. It was a pathetic performance all around. This is the second game where the Canes were camped out in our own end for most of the game. I just don't have the words right now they got me all worked up. Need to keep breathing slow and easy.

I can only remember a handful of games this year where they looked like this. The blowouts to Ottawa in the reg season come to mind. It seemed like every pass was in their skates, every shot was fanned on, every clearing attempt had some sort of Cane radar on it, where it would end up hitting a Cane player no matter where the Sabres tried to clear it. It was ugly, weird and hopefully flukey.

We played the worse two periods of the playoffs tonight. yes the officiating sucked, ryan let up a soft goal but we were flat for most of thi sgame and let the canes push us around. Its time to send a message and let the canes know they are now in OUR HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!

I like this quote best:

"I wouldn't consider that a narrow defeat, by any means," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. "Their lines were better than our lines, that's just the bottom line. The first 40 minutes was probably the worst hockey we've played in the playoffs."

Time to light a fire under the boys, Lindy!

Again, Carolina threw their "A" game at us last night. They skated and played with more intensity than us, and that doesn't happen that often to the Sabres. For whatever reason, they have games like this, where they just don't show up and the other team beats us at our own game.

But, that doesn't happen often, and despite the confluence of all the things going against us last night:

On the road

The other team playing with fire

Sabres coming out absolutely flat

Some breaks that didn't go our way (Wesley saving that puck at the last second)

Some questionable officiating

We still kept the game within a single goal.

If this is what it is going to take for Carolina to actually be able to beat us, I like our chances in the rest of the series, because these planets are not going to align themselves again for the Canes very often.

We still kept the game within a single goal.

I know you are trying to see the upside of this, but this game wasn't kept within a single goal.

Sabres were outhit, outshot, out-drawn, and outplayed.

This wasn't a good loss. There was really nothing redeeming in this performance

except a few saves on breakaways by Miller.

The Sabre defense seemed to be pacing themselves in the first two periods knowing they

were going to log more ice time. This threw off the timing of the entire machine. Forwards

were breaking open in transition only to have to circle back because the defense wasn't

going to make the pass up-ice. They have to pull the trigger or make a shorter pass out:

that was getting crazy.

I don't want to get started bashing Rory, but one thing he can do is put a shot on net

from the point: he passed up the one-timer more than once - sure there is a chance someone

may block it - but when they are giving you twenty feet of space - you have to pull the trigger.

Nevertheless, despite the fact that they played very well, we played very poorly, and we had very little go our way, we only lost by one goal. I don't see this set of circumstances repeating itself. you know Lindy is going to light a fire under this team and they are going to come out of the locker room spitting glass on Wednesday.

I guess I'm hoping that this is an isolated incident rather than a trend, and that the Sabres are going to find a way to win any game that is short of a debacle like last night.

This game reminds me a lot of game 4 against Philly. We were totally outplayed and yet didn't give up until the final buzzer sounded. Remember Mike Grier's shorty with 0:19 left in the game? The Sabres knew they were dominated but didn't throw in the towel because they are a proud team. I look for them to come out tomorrow night looking much better than they did last night.

There's also the possibility that Connolly may be back. Also, don't be surprised if you see Mair playing defense as well.

I know you are trying to see the upside of this, but this game wasn't kept within a single goal.

Sabres were outhit, outshot, out-drawn, and outplayed.

This wasn't a good loss. There was really nothing redeeming in this performance

except a few saves on breakaways by Miller. trigger.

I don't disagree but at the same time, I was encouraged that we carried the play for the better part of the 3rd. That was when we saw Sabres' hockey and I think it bodes well for Wednesday.

I don't disagree but at the same time, I was encouraged that we carried the play for the better part of the 3rd. That was when we saw Sabres' hockey and I think it bodes well for Wednesday.

I think Wed. we'll be fine.

Buffalo will have a distinct advantage matching lines.

Carolina has no class....

We played like #%^$#!.. Say it correctly.

Agreed....

Briere getting swung around by his helmet AFTER the wistle WTF is that?!?!?! I was swearing up a storm after that and i wanted to take out that a#$^$#!e ref

Ok, yeah IT WASN'T a goal, but wesley dove w/o being pushed into his net causing the net to get dislodged...PENALTY??? was i the only one to notice that?! I was pissed at that point

And the constant cheap shots to the head(sometimes mis-understood as finishing a check) that is now being recognized by OLN as physical play is total bogus shiat. Come on I can be the first person to give it up for a team to play phyiscal IF they do it cleanly, but when your team goes out and more than once fisishes their check 'high' Ohhhhh.....its on mofo's It's on....I hope the sabres teach this team a lesson in clean physicality and wipe the canes w/ the roughest parts of their sticks caz them clowns deserve it. Now let's go buffalo, Get 'er done! Go SABRES!!!!

Don't be fooled by the Sabres 'turning it on' in the 3rd to get 2 goals. Remember, Carolina was protecting a 4-1 lead.

Fonz, I agree with you. I said on another thread somewhere that the BS after the whistle needs to stop. If the OLN guys (I didn't see them) said that's good tough hockey, then they are out to lunch.

That's old-school Flyers hockey and doing away with that crap was starting to make the league look good again.

Curious. I personally think sticks-on-the-body have increased quite a bit in this round, and towards the end of last round. Anyone out there interested in looking up how many come-from-behind wins we've seen in round 1, round 2 and so far in round 3? I know this much, there hasn't been one come-from-behind win in round 3 yet, or did the Oilers win one of theirs after going down a goal?

I don't know, last time I checked Carolina who was playing very good hockey (so of you are just stopping short of implying they were playing the greatest hockey ever played on earth) gave up a 4-1 lead to a Sabres team playing very poorly last night (some are almost implying they were playing little league quality)

I think it all has to do with the doom and gloom attitude of the Buffalo sports fans. They don't come out and say it directly, but the seem to love wallowing in their own pity making mountains out of the smallest problems their team may have.

Face it people, Buffalo almost tied a game the other team should have walked away with. Instead, one team tried and played hard all game, and the other team played when they wanted too and tried for the last minute comeback and almost pulled it off. One more save by miller and about an inch and Buffalo could have won that game. Even though they were outplayed all game

Ok, yeah IT WASN'T a goal, but wesley dove w/o being pushed into his net causing the net to get dislodged...PENALTY??? was i the only one to notice that?!

Not at all.

Hardly the NHL, but when I played as a kid I was a D-man. I made a similar play in that I lunged toward a puck that beat our G and wobbling toward the goal line. In doing so, I knocked the goal off of its Marsh Pegs. I was given a minor for delay of game.

I'd love to hear the NHL's version of why that wasn't a penalty because my understanding of the rules says that if a D-man or G knocks the net off its moorings without being pushed by an offensive player, it's a penalty. Given that the puck was on its way into the net, it could have been called a goal, right?

Not at all.

Hardly the NHL, but when I played as a kid I was a D-man. I made a similar play in that I lunged toward a puck that beat our G and wobbling toward the goal line. In doing so, I knocked the goal off of its Marsh Pegs. I was given a minor for delay of game.

I'd love to hear the NHL's version of why that wasn't a penalty because my understanding of the rules says that if a D-man or G knocks the net off its moorings without being pushed by an offensive player, it's a penalty. Given that the puck was on its way into the net, it could have been called a goal, right?

I don't think that it could have been an awarded goal. For that to happen, Wesley would have had to just push the net off intentionally. Before he knocked the net off with his body, he swiped the puck away from danger.

I do believe, however, that it should have been a delay of game penalty, because knocking the net off its moorings took more scoring chances away from Buffalo by stopping the play. Who knows what would've happened on the rest of that play; it looked like a mad scramble.

Grier noticed it, too - he went right to the ref to complain about that (to no avail, of course!).

Not at all.

The NHL will say it wasn't a penalty because Wesley didn't DELIBERATELY knock the net off its moorings. He was clearly going after the puck. The defender can knock the net off the moorings as long as that wasn't the intent of his action.

I would guess that had he missed the puck with his stick, AND the net moved, then the refs would have viewed the play as deliberate and the Sabres would have been credited with a goal whether the puck had crossed the line yet or not.

I looked at it kind of like I would tripping, if you get the puck and then the guy falls over your stick, too bad for him. If you miss the puck and he lands on top of you, you get a 2 minute rest to try to get your breath back.

Ok, here's the answer. Bring back the old, immovable nets. Only the truly psychotic players crashed those nets. There were issues with injuries for players sliding into the net, but now there are issues with guys crashing the net, hurting goalies and so on. And especially with guys 'accidentally on purpose' pushing the net off in a scramble. That penalty almost never gets called.

Remember this, the players have another immovable obstacle they deal with every game - the boards! I think they can avoid an immovable net.

I'm not saying that we would have definetly scored on that PP but if we came that close to scoring a goal and then then escape W/O a penalty its like were figthing a two-headed moster w/ the refs and the opponent.

Well it shouldn't b long now until we see colin campbell and gary bettman suiting up to call these games if the keep telling all the refs to go home after officiating a horendous game. that would b funny, the official of the cup finals also hands out the stanly cup.....LOL

Go SABRES!!!!

Agreed....

Briere getting swung around by his helmet AFTER the wistle WTF is that?!?!?! I was swearing up a storm after that and i wanted to take out that a#$^$#!e ref

Ok, yeah IT WASN'T a goal, but wesley dove w/o being pushed into his net causing the net to get dislodged...PENALTY??? was i the only one to notice that?! I was pissed at that point

And the constant cheap shots to the head(sometimes mis-understood as finishing a check) that is now being recognized by OLN as physical play is total bogus shiat. Come on I can be the first person to give it up for a team to play phyiscal IF they do it cleanly, but when your team goes out and more than once fisishes their check 'high' Ohhhhh.....its on mofo's It's on....I hope the sabres teach this team a lesson in clean physicality and wipe the canes w/ the roughest parts of their sticks caz them clowns deserve it. Now let's go buffalo, Get 'er done! Go SABRES!!!!

After Briere was getting raped after the whistle, I was so freaking mad! And then at the drop of the puck we got a hooking penalty. At that point I did something I never did in my whole life and that was to put a hole in the wall. I hope I never get that mad again in my life. :(

Archived