Oilers Look Just Like Sabres

bob_sauve28

Not to look ahead or anything, but, best finals in 15 years heading our way?

IF the Sabres get past Carolina, I do not want to see Edmonton simply because of the history that Peca and Rolosen have with our favorite team. Those 2 have been key to Edmonton getting where they are and both will be playing with chips on their shoulder. If those 2 were replaced with similar players (say Lehtonen and Turco), I would love to see Buffalo play Edmonton because on paper the Sabres are MUCH better than Edmonton.

Peca and Rolosen being beyond pumped to win the SC vs. Buffalo scares the heck out of me.

Blocking shots, scoring timely goals, steady goaltending. Wow

Completely agreed here. And, might I add, Anaheim hasn't been playing well at all. Tons of missed chances, horrible passing, poor shot choices...their power play looks horrendous. I'm going to hesitate to count my chickens before they hatch, but a Buffalo/Edmonton final would be the ideal series. Knock on wood.

I was thinking the exact same thing tonight. The Sabes-Oil are more similar than we are with even the Canes. Very similar in speed, goaltending, blocking shots and so on, but the thing that sticks out the most is the STRATEGY similarities. I heard the announcers say multople times how the game tonight seemed eerily similar to their first game in that Anaheim was outplaying them (shots, scoring chances and TOP in offensive zone) but jsut couldnt score vs Roloson. Thats the same way the Sabes play when they get the lead. They arent dominant but score on their chances. Once they get the lead, they know how to protect it and limit opportinities. I know how people, especially Canes fans, insist how they feel good about the way they play (dominating in the third) but I have come to realize thats exactly what the Sabres want them to BELEIVE. The first period was even. Then the Sabres dominated the second, got the lead and thats all they needed. Once they had the lead, they switched to their protect mode which is why they may have looked outplayed but thats what they wanted. It may be risky and very frustrating for fans (ie shitting my pants watching) but the Sabres have played this way all playoffs long. Get the lead, protect it late! Genius!

Yes the Oilers are very similar, but I think the Sabres are a much better overall team.

However, I think Shawn Horcoff is hands down the fastest player in the NHL...the guy makes Afinigenov look slow... I've seen 2 or 3 times now where he has almost scored after blowing past a defender in a race for the puck when the defender had a pretty sizeable lead on him(like 4 or 5 lengths), and he caught the guy and passed him like he was standing still...

I'm sure the media would have fun with it, but I just don't see how Peca or Roloson would need that as motivation. What bad blood for the Sabres should they have? I know as a fan, I have no ill feeling toward either of them. Peca was one of my all time favorite Sabres, and I have a soft spot for Roloson because of his near heroic play in the ECF in 99. Why either would be booed is beyond me.

Speaking of Roloson, did anyone get a good look at the scramble in the third period tonight? I saw the replay over and over, but I was never sure if he made the save of the playoffs. He was on his left side, left arm extended and might have snared the tying goal in his glove. I mean, it ended up in his glove, but I'm not sure if it was shot into it, or hit something and dribbled in. Roloson has been very good.

Not to look ahead or anything, but, best finals in 15 years heading our way?

Not when we beat the Oilers in 5 games. They are good, and play our style... but they are like a poor man's version of us. Our players are just better. It's like racing two Mustangs, they have the V6 version, while we are the GT.

PA, I wondered the same thing about the Rollie scramble in the 3rd period. CBC didn't really give you a clear replay though. By the way, I flipped over to OLN and was able to catch the coaches' postgame press conferences...pretty cool stuff, Thanks Adelphia! (I never thought I'd say that)

Anyways, I was thinking tonight that Edmonton looks just like Buffalo.

Buffalo from 1999 that is.

Maybe it's just seeing Peca play in the playoffs, I dunno. But Edmonton doesn't have anywhere near the offensive firepower that the Sabres have. Edmonton gets ugly, ugly goals and plays lights out defense. I think it would be a good series between the Oilers and Buffalo (and think of how great the atmospheres would be in both buildings!) but I'm surprised to see people feeling like Edmonton is just like Buffalo. The Sabres are playing just as good defensively, block just as many shots, have a goalie that is playing just as lights out, are just as good on the PK, yet we also have a better transition game and more offense.

After watching Edmonton play last night, I was struck by how much they play the same game as Buffalo does. They let Anaheim fly all over the ice last night and then pounced on them with odd man rushes. Anaheim was trying hard not to lose two at home. Throw in the fact that Edmonton's team has the flu and you can't help but marvel at how well they played. Shots on goal was more even, but Edmonton loves to block shots like Buffalo. They place a blanket of defenders around their goalie and manage to move cherry pickers out without getting penalties. You get the feeling watching them that they do what it takes to win.

All this time I was thinking the Canes were like the Sabres. The Canes may match the Sabres speed, but Edmonton matches the Sabres style of play and work ethic.

No doubt in my mind Edmonton sweeps in four and then has a little earned down time before the SCF begin in Buffalo. And that will be a worthy SCF.

Not everyone in this thread, but certainly a few, are getting way ahead of things. I'll join the fun even if it is bad karma: If the Sabres win against Carolina, I'd rather see Anaheim (not only do I think the Sabres would match up better, but I also think the games would be more entertaining). But I don't think Anaheim comes out of that series.

Edmonton is definitely following our plan for beating higher-seeded teams in the playoffs. I won't tempt fate by looking ahead, but I do think things look very good for Edmonton in 5 right about now. Hats off to them for being a #8 seed in the finals. That has to be a first in any sport outside of the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Not when we beat the Oilers in 5 games. They are good, and play our style... but they are like a poor man's version of us. Our players are just better. It's like racing two Mustangs, they have the V6 version, while we are the GT.

Not so fast. The Oilers worry me. They've got the same type of "Magic" that the Sabres have this year. They also have Pronger and Ryan Smyth and a cast of others. Don't get too cocky. They scare me.

Archived