Don Waddell hired by Columbus

Brawndo

41 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

There is a positive to this rumor.  If true, Pegula is adding a layer that will put more insulation between him and the GM and the Coach. 

Pretty sure we get that in 2 years, when either Adams or Ruff get named PoHO.  😉 

Pretty much done deal on Waddell to Columbus.

Im just intrigued if Buffalo really looked at him because that tells me they are serious about bringing some senior hockey minds into the organization.

my number one choice is Dudley but I’ll be interested to hear if they are talking to anyone about a senior advisor role.

Maybe they have figured out that when you hire a GM with no experience it would probably help to have a solid vet hockey man to help guide him a bit.

8 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Im just intrigued if Buffalo really looked at him because that tells me they are serious about bringing some senior hockey minds into the organization.

my number one choice is Dudley but I’ll be interested to hear if they are talking to anyone about a senior advisor role.

Maybe they have figured out that when you hire a GM with no experience it would probably help to have a solid vet hockey man to help guide him a bit.

I love Rick Dudley but he’s 75 years old.

Also, not to be a Debbie downer, but there is a real possibility that Sabres’ “interest” in Waddell was leaked in order to expedite and sweeten Columbus’ offer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/26/2024 at 6:48 AM, Pimlach said:

You think Ruff will leap frog Adams?  

IF the team does well the next 2 years, expect that Adams becomes the PoHO, one of his 2 primary AGM's moves up (probably Nightengale Karmanos), and Ruff moves into an advisory role to Adams if he's ready to stop coaching.  And if Ruff wants to continue coaching for a year or 2, that advisory role remains open waiting for him to fill when he's ready.  (Personally expect he'll be ready to move out of the grind in 2 years, but who knows, while Lindy tends to be adaptable to circumstances he also can have a stubborn streak.)

IF the team does poorly / treads water the next 2 years, expect that Adams is out, there's a new GM that Ruff has input in choosing if not outright choosing, and Ruff becomes the PoHO.

Edited by Taro T
D'oh! Brain fart.
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Let's have all ex Sabres running this for us... What could go wrong?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Let's have all ex Sabres running this for us... What could go wrong?

Or players who grew up here.

49 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Who is your suggestion for them to bring in who is a better hockey mind than Dudley?

How involved in hockey has Dudley been recently? If he's retired he might not be much help 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Or players who grew up here.

How involved in hockey has Dudley been recently? If he's retired he might be much help 

He was a senior advisor in Carolina and right now he is a senior advisor for Florida.

• Like (+1) 2

Sounds like a rumour spread by Mr. Waddell’s agent. This move makes no sense based on Ownership decisions the last four years. Pegs is keeping it all in the family these days. Others have talked about Lindy moving up in a couple years. That seems much more likely. Pegs has been burned too often and he is going to go with the man who follows his every instruction and brings it in under budget. 

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

IF the team does well the next 2 years, expect that Adams becomes the PoHO, one of his 2 primary AGM's moves up (probably Nightengale), and Ruff moves into an advisory role to Adams if he's ready to stop coaching.  And if Ruff wants to continue coaching for a year or 2, that advisory role remains open waiting for him to fill when he's ready.  (Personally expect he'll be ready to move out of the grind in 2 years, but who knows, while Lindy tends to be adaptable to circumstances he also can have a stubborn streak.)

IF the team does poorly / treads water the next 2 years, expect that Adams is out, there's a new GM that Ruff has input in choosing if not outright choosing, and Ruff becomes the PoHO.

Jason Nightengale shouldn’t get any type of promotion, if anything he should be removed from the front office entirely. He and Jerry Forton are two of the least impressive members of the front office and have their positions because of Pegula Nepotism. Giving credit for the Sabres improved drafting over the past few seasons to Forton is the equivalent of giving all the credit for a group project to the person who did the least amount of work.

Luca Del Bel Belluz was the Sabres Front Office consensus pick for Pick 41 in 2022, when all of a sudden Topias Leinonen was the name announced.

The true sign of a person’s value to a front office is other organizations requesting interviews for open positions, both Jason Karmanos and Sam Ventura have interviewed wit( other teams. Nightengale and Forton have not. 

A restructured front office should look like 

POHO-Adams/Ruff or Ruff as Senior Advisor

GM Jason Karmanos 

Associate GM Sam Ventura 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Who is your suggestion for them to bring in who is a better hockey mind than Dudley?

Whoever it is they would need to not be pissing in their depends. Dude is 75 years old, he’s a sr advisor, making him the president is quite a role.

28 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Whoever it is they would need to not be pissing in their depends. Dude is 75 years old, he’s a sr advisor, making him the president is quite a role.

No one said president. Senior advisor would be the role.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Jason Nightengale shouldn’t get any type of promotion, if anything he should be removed from the front office entirely. He and Jerry Forton are two of the least impressive members of the front office and have their positions because of Pegula Nepotism. Giving credit for the Sabres improved drafting over the past few seasons to Forton is the equivalent of giving all the credit for a group project to the person who did the least amount of work.

Luca Del Bel Belluz was the Sabres Front Office consensus pick for Pick 41 in 2022, when all of a sudden Topias Leinonen was the name announced.

The true sign of a person’s value to a front office is other organizations requesting interviews for open positions, both Jason Karmanos and Sam Ventura have interviewed wit( other teams. Nightengale and Forton have not. 

A restructured front office should look like 

POHO-Adams/Ruff or Ruff as Senior Advisor

GM Jason Karmanos 

Associate GM Sam Ventura 

Apologies.  Meant Karmanos.  Nightengale didn't "sound" right, but was drawing a complete blank on Karmanos and Ventura.

(Been a long weekend crawling around in the attic trying to fix some crud that shouldn't need fixing.  And yesterday it was friggin' HOT up there.  (Nearly passed out on the ladder getting out of there.  That ended THAT job for yesterday.)

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

My bad I misunderstood, yeah for that role I’d love it but highly doubt he’d come over to us when he has a pretty solid gig in Florida.

He does still live in the Buffalo area so who knows.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Apologies.  Meant Karmanos.  Nightengale didn't "sound" right, but was drawing a complete blank on Karmanos and Ventura.

(Been a long weekend crawling around in the attic trying to fix some crud that shouldn't need fixing.  And yesterday it was friggin' HOT up there.  (Nearly passed out on the ladder getting out of there.  That ended THAT job for yesterday.)

No worries-Mrs Brawndo has me doing a year’s worth of projects during mine severance time. I have to start my new job to relax.

• Haha (+1) 3

• Brawndo changed the title to Don Waddell hired by Columbus
10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Waddell will be allowed to sit at the Columbus Draft Table in Vegas as he had little input in the Carolina Draft process. 

I read an article that said Tulsky basically ran things but didn’t have the people skills to deal with the GM personalities around the league. Waddell was the guy to talk to the other GMs. I would imagine that setup will continue and an old school figurehead will be named Carolina GM and fill the same role.

• Like (+1) 1