Farewell, Olofsson

Doohickie

56 minutes ago, Hawerchuk said:

I thought Granato and Ellis should have kept Olofsson on the right side powerplay unit 1 with Tage on the left side. That way defending teams couldn't anticipate the TNT one timer everytime. In my opinion it would have really boosted the powerplay this season. Why move away from that option?

But that's bygone's now. Good luck Victor.

In coaching, it’s often a question of benefits vs. drawbacks. Does the benefit of the occasional PP goal outweigh the drawbacks of the rest of his game on a game to game basis. It’s easy for me to understand why Granato and Co. made the decision to scratch him from the lineup so often. 

Lindy is about coaching to players strengths and finding their own role. Not shoving square pegs into round holes. He said as much himself today and his history in Buffalo coaching has plenty of examples

Skinner usually had issues playing into a system. He has a chance

Oloffson is exactly the type of player that Ruff would get the most out of. Not saying we need him, but he wouldn’t be so invisible like he has been lately. Just because they cheat into him on the PP doesn’t mean everything should fall apart. 

34 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Lindy is about coaching to players strengths and finding their own role. Not shoving square pegs into round holes. He said as much himself today and his history in Buffalo coaching has plenty of examples

Skinner usually had issues playing into a system. He has a chance

Oloffson is exactly the type of player that Ruff would get the most out of. Not saying we need him, but he wouldn’t be so invisible like he has been lately. Just because they cheat into him on the PP doesn’t mean everything should fall apart. 

I think Olafsson Is not a very fast skater and would have trouble getting back into plays on reverse transition. Have to give him credit for making it to the NHL as 7th rounder. Not many do. He did manage to play better D this year but never could get the overall game going. I hope he lands in a spot that will use him in a better way than we did this year.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

He absolutely should go to Chicago and get 20+ again for a couple seasons until their kids are ready to win. That’s not a bad gig, really.

But as soon as Greenway replaced him, GM Sheevyn should’ve traded him for whatever. Then, when Quinn gets injured, you’re forced to go get a 2W to play with Cozens all season. 

Also, good job, VO. You made it from a 7th round flier to a legit PP2 sniper in the NHL. And that’s a pretty good run. 

I'd guess he couldn't trade him because he wasn't willing to retain salary for the small return he was offered. Nobody was going to pay that salary for what he brings. He'll have a job next year but it'll be for a substantial pay cut. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd guess he couldn't trade him because he wasn't willing to retain salary for the small return he was offered. Nobody was going to pay that salary for what he brings. He'll have a job next year but it'll be for a substantial pay cut. 

He’s a great bargain-bin 20g guy (on the right roster). Once you pay him like a 2nd liner, you’re going to be disappointed because he needs to be protected. And this roster couldn’t shelter anyone unless the TNT line was on fire. 

20 hours ago, K-9 said:

In coaching, it’s often a question of benefits vs. drawbacks. Does the benefit of the occasional PP goal outweigh the drawbacks of the rest of his game on a game to game basis. It’s easy for me to understand why Granato and Co. made the decision to scratch him from the lineup so often. 

I thought he should have been in the lineup more often, especially if the decision was made based on anything related to the Sabres’ “power play” this year.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Everyone said the same thing about Diggs.  😉

Contracts work so differently between the two sports that this comparison is basically useless. Dead cap for 1 year versus dead cap for 6 years including a major spike over 6mil in dead cap in year 3. That just isn't the same type of thing. 

4 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

He’s a great bargain-bin 20g guy (on the right roster). Once you pay him like a 2nd liner, you’re going to be disappointed because he needs to be protected. And this roster couldn’t shelter anyone unless the TNT line was on fire. 

Yes, that's why I think San Jose. They have a lot of holes on that roster and not a lot of bodies to fill them. Chicago depends on their timeline. 

On 4/24/2024 at 7:28 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, that's why I think San Jose. They have a lot of holes on that roster and not a lot of bodies to fill them. Chicago depends on their timeline. 

It’d have been nice to swing something like VO to SJ with 50% retention for Duclair early last season once SJ was out of it (early). Add a simple pick for their trouble. Duclair wouldn’t have replaced Quinn, and doesn’t play heavy, but was able to keep up with Florida’s excellent roster and might’ve been a good fit for that gaping middle six hole. All bridges and all water long since under now. 

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

It’d have been nice to swing something like VO to SJ with 50% retention for Duclair early last season once SJ was out of it (early). Add a simple pick for their trouble. Duclair wouldn’t have replaced Quinn, and doesn’t play heavy, but was able to keep up with Florida’s excellent roster and might’ve been a good fit for that gaping middle six hole. All bridges and all water long since under now. 

Duclair's an oddity though isn't he? Nobody seems to want him long term. Not exactly sure what the issues are with him but I think there are issues. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

22 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Duclair's an oddity though isn't he? Nobody seems to want him long term. Not exactly sure what the issues are with him but I think there are issues. 

Definitely. But he’s also the caliber player you don’t build around. Either let him go to keep the real gang together (Panthers), or hope he can contribute in that 3rd line fashion and be ready to sell high.

• Like (+1) 1