NHL Playoffs (First Round) discussion

SwampD

How do we struggle so much against Boston? The Leafs, are holding them to absolutely nothing. The Leafs?? 

I think Toronto is better and we pumped em for 9. So strange. I know it’s playoffs. It I feel like we could beat bothe these teams if we were in.

Edited by rickshaw

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think it’s weird how some things fix themselves in people’s minds.

In it’s genesis, “don’t block the kids” was about force-feeding the Botterill leftovers Thompson, Cozens, Mittelstadt, Dahlin and Jokiharju key ice time to accelerate their development, build their confidence and see what the team had. By and large, it did what it was supposed to do. The team improved notably and those players pretty significantly.

Year 2, it was about giving the 2nd wave - Power, Quinn, Samuelsson, Krebs and Peterka - a similar opportunity, but in mid-roster roles.Those players were younger and predictably didn’t have the same impact. But they did show they belong, and the guys in front of them took big jumps. By and large people were happy with the improvement and were predicting good things ahead.

Year 3, “don’t block the kids” wasn’t really a thing. I mean, I guess it was in goal, but it also kinda worked in goal. Elsewhere, they didn’t hand jobs to Rousek and Rosen and Kulich and Ryan Johnson. Instead, they blocked the kids, re-signing Girgensons, and Okposo and Jost, and adding Robinson and Clifton and Greenway and Erik Johnson.

It wasn’t not blocking the kids that killed last year’s team, it was the fact that most of the above veterans sucked. And they sucked while Thompson, Tuch, Skinner and Cozens - all of whom all now count as vets - also sucked. The players who stepped up - UPL and Peterka - happened to be the kids who weren’t blocked.

This “not blocking” hasn’t been the problem for Adams some of you make it out to be.

Rather, it’s been putting together a consistent, focused and complete team.

I agree with the not putting together a consistant, focused and complete team but when you are still the youngest team in the league and also playing under an internal cap that the moronic owner insists on you are not really putting anyone in a position to win or develop and we can see that in the results. With the youngest team in the league I have to question if the ‘ don’t block the kids ‘ has actually stopped. Add the questionable coaching staff and coaching decisions and you have a perfect storm of mediocrity.  This team has to do better. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Good job BOS! Now do us another favor and lose round two.

^ This but take out that douche Tkachuk first!

Just now, Buffalonill said:

It's always a good day when the Leafs lose in the first round a great tradition

They are built all wrong. Way too much money on a handful of offensive players. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ... said:

Well, there it is. Let the psychotic break down in Toronto commence.

If anyone wants to watch the very beginnings of it.