Dylan Cozens: Hamilton's Take

So Hamilton is basically saying Cozens lost his love for hockey in Buffalo? idk, I didn't like his exit interview clip. He seemed flat and detached and it lacked himself taking any personal responsibility. Unlike Tuch, he never says "I" need to be better. After seeing it I thought I was wrong about Cozens and he is definitely not captain material. 

• Eyeroll 1

Cozens was plagued by gripping to tight and playing soft.

Booing and losing don’t help. But professional athletes gets boo’ed and lose a lot. He’s got to do whatever he needs to to get over that. Incense in the locker room, bang a fat chick, see a psychologist, whatever. But going through that and getting over it is part of the gig. 

A lot of really talented athletes in a lot of sports can’t shake the yips often enough. It is certainly a skill. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sabre The Cup said:

Out of curiosity, are there any HOFers in any sport that credit a sports psychologist for their success? Genuinely asking. 

Dr. Bob Rotella: Widely regarded as the "Godfather of Sports Psychology for Golf", Rotella has worked with over 100 companies and countless professional golfers, including players who have won over 300 tournaments and 74 majors.

He spent a day with a small group of executives 25 years ago… Fascinating stories.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

So Hamilton is basically saying Cozens lost his love for hockey in Buffalo? idk, I didn't like his exit interview clip. He seemed flat and detached and it lacked himself taking any personal responsibility. Unlike Tuch, he never says "I" need to be better. After seeing it I thought I was wrong about Cozens and he is definitely not captain material. 

If a locker clean out interview is enough to change your mind then this suggests that maybe (most) fans don’t actually have enough information to make such decisions.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s been theorized all year that Cozens more or less crushed himself with his expectations to live up to his contract. So this isn’t anything new to be honest. I’ve subscribed to this theory since the year started based on many of his unforced errors at the start of the season seemed to originate from overdoing things and trying to play contrary to his instincts. 

He wanted to prove his value by becoming another super dynamic forward who’d dipsy-doodle up the ice and score. When all of us just wanted him to be the straightforward bull he was most of last season. When Quinn came back you saw last year’s Cozens briefly only for it disappear slowly after Quinn was injured once again. With the whole booing saga going on he doubled down and tried to wow the crowd into cheers only to make it worse creating a vicious cycle. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, SDS said:

If a locker clean out interview is enough to change your mind then this suggests that maybe (most) fans don’t actually have enough information to make such decisions.

They might not be, they could be good actors, but I tend to think season ending locker room clear out interviews are the only (mostly) honest and candid moments we get and so I look at them and look at body language, tone, the way they speak. All of it. It's an assessment, it could be wrong, but during the year they are all in the team mode and say the script. End of the year it's over and they are more candid or so I believe. 

In the old days more players spoke their minds all year but now in the big agents era everything during the year is garbage. End of the year, sometimes, the guard comes down. 

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

You thought he was a head case when he was a 20-21 year old second year player whose rookie year was the shortened by the messy Covid season? 

Last year he was very good, 31 goals and 68 points at 21-22 years old is very good production.  He centered two rookies,  

You are a tough audience.  

I guess you could cut and paste these same thoughts in a Thompson, Samuelson, Power etc. thread. Excuses and pleas for even more patience. The drastic drop in play for many is all DG's and KA's fault ?  Many got paid and didn't show up to play many nights. No personal responsibility ?  Always the youth and inexperience excuse ?  

I don't hate ANY of them but their actual level of talent is exaggerated. ID a core, pay them and they plunge. Viewed as soft. Well, the Sabres are pretty much stuck with them now. Cost Mitts a future roster spot. Now Tuch will need a new deal. We'll see. I'm hoping a new coach and a couple players with some backbone help them take a step forward. 

I didn't hear the Hamilton segment about Cozens, so take this with a grain of salt.  I am always somewhat skeptical about his opinions, because I always get the feeling he wants to come across as smarter than he really is.   Does Cozens need the help of a sports psychologist?  Who knows, but I wouldn't trust Hamilton to be the definitive voice on the subject.

I still remember how he carried on for weeks on end criticizing Reinhart for not participating in ROR's practice after practice.  How did that workout Paul?

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I didn't hear the Hamilton segment about Cozens, so take this with a grain of salt.  I am always somewhat skeptical about his opinions, because I always get the feeling he wants to come across as smarter than he really is.   Does Cozens need the help of a sports psychologist?  Who knows, but I wouldn't trust Hamilton to be the definitive voice on the subject.

I still remember how he carried on for weeks on end criticizing Reinhart for not participating in ROR's practice after practice.  How did that workout Paul?

He loves going on these Revenge tours I remember he went on a Vancouver radio station absolutely making up lies about Sam before he was traded to Florida 

12 hours ago, Believer said:

Dr. Bob Rotella: Widely regarded as the "Godfather of Sports Psychology for Golf", Rotella has worked with over 100 companies and countless professional golfers, including players who have won over 300 tournaments and 74 majors.

He spent a day with a small group of executives 25 years ago… Fascinating stories.

That quack? He told me to pretend the ball was my mother. And to keep my head up.

I remember listening to Hamilton on WGR 550 pounding the table early in the season that “Hits don’t matter!!”… 

They mattered plenty when teams figured out the Sabres are soft… and came out in 1st periods hitting early and often to slow the Sabres speed and set the tone for the game.

Think Hamilton likes to hear himself talk.