Who will be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Who will be the next coach of the Sabres?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach of the Sabres?

• Ruff
    • Appert
    • Gallant
    • Brind’amour
    • Other - NHL Rookie
    • Other - NHL re-tread

This poll is closed to new votes

This is a super hard decision to narrow it down. So far here’s my process:

First, I downloaded and printed out the all-time Sabres roster. Second step: I crossed off every player that was dead.

Currently, I’m making a list of the greatest Sabres to wear a specific number. That should get the list down to about 80.

After that, I think I’ll head over to hockeyfights.com and then see which Sabre had the best fights out of the jersey list. 

that will narrow down the list to about five.

The last step will be the trickiest. Somehow I need to figure out which of these former Sabres are on blood pressure medication. I know it would be a HIPAA violation to ask, but I need to know who is a really angry person. Preferably someone on the verge of perpetual violence. Alternatively, I will accept a video of a former Sabre bag skating his eight-year-old’s hockey team. The more colorful the language the better.

At that point, then you’ll know you’ll have the best hockey coach you could find. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I'm not sold on the likes of Gallant and Boudreau.  Like Ruff, they could be great short-term solutions and get this team into the playoffs, but I don't see them having long-term success.

The difference between guys like this and Lindy is that there would be no emotional or nostalgic attachment to Gallant or Boudreau.  They'd be hired guns, probably coach the team for 2-3 years and if they didn't make the finals they'll be fired, but they're just guys, they're not Lindy.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He was 128-125-28 in 3+ years in NJ

Granato’s record in Buffalo was 122-125-27 with no playoff appearances.  

So the point you're trying to make is his NJ record is an endorsement because it's better than Donny's?  Basically his record and Donny's are not significantly different.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

First, I downloaded and printed out the all-time Sabres roster. Second step: I crossed off every player that was dead.

Currently, I’m making a list of the greatest Sabres to wear a specific number. That should get the list down to about 80.

After that, I think I’ll head over to hockeyfights.com and then see which Sabre had the best fights out of the jersey list. 

The last step will be the trickiest. Somehow I need to figure out which of these former Sabres are on blood pressure medication. I know it would be a HIPAA violation to ask, but I need to know who is a really angry person. Preferably someone on the verge of perpetual violence. Alternatively, I will accept a video of a former Sabre bag skating his eight-year-old’s hockey team. The more colorful the language the better.

At that point, then you’ll know you’ll have the best hockey coach you could find. 

Forget LGR4GM, I am voting the SDS4GM ticket across the board.

I think Brindamour is extended already in Carolina.

Berube brings exactly what Adams was spewing today: experience, structure, fire, Cup champion

Quenneville is the wildcard. He made a mistake and paid the price. He has apparently taken all the steps to improve himself.  He has paid his debt and will get a second chance. I think it should be in Buffalo. Brings everything Adams is looking for.

Ruff is the low hanging fruit and the least desirable choice but does add what Adams wants.

Gallant and Boudreau are not known for structure.

Berube or Quenneville are the hopes, Ruff is the fallback expectation.

It will be interesting because Adams sounded like his ass is in the fire now. I would expect some trades and signings this summer that are outside his comfort zone.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I think Brindamour is extended already in Carolina.

Berube brings exactly what Adams was spewing today: experience, structure, fire, Cup champion

Quenneville is the wildcard. He made a mistake and paid the price. He has apparently taken all the steps to improve himself.  He has paid his debt and will get a second chance. I think it should be in Buffalo. Brings everything Adams is looking for.

Ruff is the low hanging fruit and the least desirable choice but does add what Adams wants.

Gallant and Boudreau are not known for structure.

Berube or Quenneville are the hopes, Ruff is the fallback expectation.

It will be interesting because Adams sounded like his ass is in the fire now. I would expect some trades and signings this summer that are outside his comfort zone.

I'm sorry how? Did he receive jail time ? He got to stay home and be with his millions of dollars how is that a punishment

8 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm sorry how? Did he receive jail time ? He got to stay home and be with his millions of dollars how is that a punishment

He had a great interview about the whole incident with Strickland; was interesting

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

He had a great interview about the whole incident with Strickland; was interesting

He's only sorry because he got caught I can't forgive people like him

He ruined a career for a kid so his career should be ruined also

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

I would be completely unbothered by Quinnville but I don’t think Terry would be. 

I did some reading on the subject - I think Q coulda handled it differently - but nothing in the official report suggests he knew what was going on. He was the Head Coach of the NHL team - the video coach allegedly (but based on the fact he got arrested 2 years later for assaulting a 16 yr old, "alleged" is a courtesy that POS likely does not deserve) assaulted a player with the 'Hawks minor league affiliate. The player was not on the big club roster. 

It is a gray area, but I don't know that any HC would have done more since Q was supposedly only told about an inappropriate text or two at the time. It is not ideal, but I can sorta see how this might seem like something you could address "later" if you are busy with the playoffs trying to win a Cup.

I get the opposition, but at the same time - he took his lumps and walked away as he was asked to do. No big "witch hunt" tour or "Poor me" pitty parties.

16 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

That is not really an even remotely accurate account. I am not saying Q was clean in all of it, but I think many layers of the Blackhawks' organization failed before Q. If your VP tells you there is some sort of incident involving inappropriate texts in another division of the company, but says they have it under control ... it is not at all unreasonable to think they do.

Only angle on Q is since the kid was a prospect with the team's minor league affiliate, he could have taken a larger role in ensuring the team actually took care of it properly instead of burying it. All accounts say the club's HR knew about it in 2010. 11 years before the lawsuit and 11 years before Q can be directly tied to definitive knowledge of the allegations.

What bothered me about his account ... he says he only learned about the details on the plane on his way to get shitcanned by the NHL ... but he had sat for interviews months before with the independent firm hired to investigate. Either his is lying, 'misremembering', or that deposition was vague as hell ....

2 hours ago, SDS said:

The fans insistence on former Sabres has become exhausting. It never ends.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

What happened was awful but how did Quenneville directly ruin the kid’s career? The coaching staff at the AHL level and Bowman as GM would have been more directly involved.

It should have been handled way differently from an organizational standpoint.

All I’m saying is Quenneville was disciplined by the league and if they decide to reinstate him as some sources seem to think, he will be sought after as he is an excellent coach. If he is available the Sabres should talk to him.

• Agree 1

Unless Carolina flames out spectacularly in the first round, there is no way in any universe Rod The Bod is available. And if that happens, do we really want him? Hated him as a player, won't like him as a coach.

Can the Mods set some sort of filter that changes any mention of Rowdy Roddy Brindy into the infamous "*******" string??

6 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

It needs to be one of (in order of preference):

Brind'Amour

Berube

Gallant

If those guys all say no, then you maybe look at Lindy.

Im not really sure what Gallant has over Lindy.