Sabres announce Don Granato, Jason Christie and Matt Smith have been relieved of their duties

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Does a Matt Smith firing even deserve to be mentioned in a press release? 😂

We had a couple of really good video review challenges too.  

Maybe he said bad words in front of Terry or something?  

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think they promote Appert and Ellis and Wilford stay and another assistant comes in. I just don't see them going out and getting a big name. 

Remember the coaching search after Ralph was fired?    I don't either.   

Appert is a real possibility.  If true, then I hope Lindy gets an interview at least.  

I hope I am wrong on this.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Not for nothin' but can anyone recall a coach, in any major sports league, ever being fired before a contract extension even starts?

Maybe there is some legal magic where it won't ever kick in? Not that I care all that much, just wondering.

1 hour ago, JustOneParade said:

Not for nothin' but can anyone recall a coach, in any major sports league, ever being fired before a contract extension even starts?

🎶 wasted away again in Pegulaville ... 🎶

Why was he extended BEFORE his most pivotal season?  That is the more perplexing move.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Wow.  I thought it was possible but not likely.

I wish DG well.  He seems like a good guy but was not the right guy for this job.

The best thing about this is that it means they are trying to be a real team again. 

Now KA needs to pick the right guy.

He WAS the right guy to get us to this point where we are close...now we need the coach that can come in and take us to the next level.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

WGR radio is garbage. The worst. Only Paul Hamilton is worth a listen. 

Matt Ellis !    COME ON DOWN !  

I’m not sure I could agree less.  Hamilton makes my skin crawl.  He’s like a drunk uncle that whines about the team with no real analysis or insight. This forum is far more resourceful for anything Sabres than him.  The rest of the WGR staff?  Meh the younger guys seem to have a clue, Schopp is annoying but he knows how to run a price radio show and Bulldog is a likeable every fan.  

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Goldseatsaud said:

My guess it’s Ruff. The fans just love him. Me not the right choice

Fans wouldn’t be excited with the HC from Amerks

When it comes to hires the Sabres need to find a candidate who overlaps all three things. In that model I think Ruff is probably pretty close to the top of the list. 

- Who they should hire. 
- Who Terry is willing to hire. 
- Who is willing to take the job, 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

He WAS the right guy to get us to this point where we are close...now we need the coach that can come in and take us to the next level.

So they hired a coach that they knew couldn’t get them to the playoffs?  Yeah….that makes sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Maybe there is some legal magic where it won't ever kick in? Not that I care all that much, just wondering.

That extension was binding on ownership the minute it was signed. The fact that it didn't "kick in" before the team fired Granato is a factual matter, not a legal one. Granato's got quite a parachute coming out of this job. Good for him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Hamilton in WGR, making excuses for Ellis having to coach "Don Granato's PP".   

Now that the season is over, Hamilton thinks that Adams will do a thorough search and some of his candidates could be involved in playoffs.  

hmmm.  (RBA) 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Why wouldn't Terry just double the offer of Carolina and see what happens. If he really wants to win, that is the only way it would have a chance. 

Friedman say the deal is practically done to return as Carolina’s coach. They will finalize after the season. 

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So they hired a coach that they knew couldn’t get them to the playoffs?  Yeah….that makes sense. 

To develop young players? It makes tons of sense. 

Did you see where these same players were under Kreuger?

And they didn't "know" he wouldn't get them to the playoffs...I mean My God, one point/win away last year and we act like they finished in dead last.

Get a grip dude.

Edited by Big Guava

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

🎶 wasted away again in Pegulaville ... 🎶

Why was he extended BRFORE his most pivotal season?  That is the more perplexing.  

A thumbs up for the second line. Only because there's not a way to give it three thumbs up.

• Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

It 1000% is going to be Lindy or this Appert. I don't think any of these names that we want will even consider an interview here. 

This is a very real and gigantic hurdle for the org. 

I think the best and most realistic chance of righting that under Pegula is likely something like bringing Ruff back in, getting us back into the playoffs regularly, and then "retiring" as President of Hockey Ops and being able to shelter the franchise from Ter-Bear. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Guava said:

To develop young players? It makes tons of sense. 

Did you see where these same players were under Kreuger?

And they didn't "know" he wouldn't get them to the playoffs...I mean My God, one point/win away last year and we act like they finished in dead last.

Get a grip dude.

Pegula absolutely loves fans like you. 

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Hamilton in WGR, making excuses for Ellis having to coach "Don Granato's PP".   

Now that the season is over, Hamilton thinks that Adams will do a thorough search and some of his candidates could be involved in playoffs.  

hmmm.  (RBA) 

Perhaps Rob Ray wasn't the only one who depended on Matt Ellis for the 'inside scoop'?