Sabres announce Don Granato, Jason Christie and Matt Smith have been relieved of their duties

Brawndo

39 minutes ago, eman said:

I'll take Gallant as well!! Just give me someone experienced please for the love of God!!!!

Dan Blysma had experience too. Hiring just for the sake of 'experience' as the only qualifier isn't a great idea. It has to be the right guy.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not firing Ellis can only signal an intent to find another role for him in the organization. Because a new HC is going to bring in his own assistants.

Yeah, interesting. Ellis as HC for Rochester? Appert moves to the Sabres - maybe HC?

This would be a totally Sabres/Pegula/Adams thing to do.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't feel anything. I thought I would be happy or excited or curious or something. I feel nothing, like why should I even care? 

Devil you know and devil you don't perhaps? (Not a reference to any unemployed former Sabre HC).

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Because each season is a chemistry experiment. You put different chemicals in the beaker and agitate. UPL of this season next season... Some good additions... The Tage of old... especially a new coach. The beaker could blow (if an explosion is what we're looking for).

I feel you, but we've all come this far. Don't go wobbly on us. This is a good day.

Also the goddamned second sunny day in a row! Where were you last Monday?

200.gif?cid=60e32e67jhk6g8tuzwfvmi3jk0f2

• Haha (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Of course. Maybe I had a brain fart, but isn't there precedent for GMs hiring assistants?

There may be a precedent somewhere, but it's definitely not the norm.

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

6 months too late Kevyn.

DG was a dead man walking in Nov/Dec, you could hear it in his pressers, he knew what was at stake.

Edmonton moved quickly before their season imploded, Buffalo put their head in the sand.   

There has to be a higher standard and higher sense of urgency top down in this organization for things to change.

We will see about a higher standard.   Wait to see who he hires. 

Is he even going to interview Gallant, Berube, and the rest? 

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I do wonder whether this decision was made by Adams at all.  TP is on the hook for DG’s extension and all major money matters all flow through him.  I also wonder if this decision happens if Ruff was still coaching in NJ.  I’m now firmly in the TP wants Ruff as the next coach camp. 

Exactly my thoughts as well. Remember, Pegula said something about wanting Lindy here when they win a Cup.

• Vomit 2

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Mostly because you don’t trust who they are going to bring in to replace him.

I hope they realize they are at a point of completely losing the fanbase and this hiring is crucial. It has to be a hire that makes the fanbase say “Wow they are serious about finally fixing this mess”

Isn’t this what we said after RaKru got fired?

7 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Dan Blysma had experience too. Hiring just for the sake of 'experience' as the only qualifier isn't a great idea. It has to be the right guy.

Disco has also been our best coach in a decade. Coincidence?

*this is not a defense of Blysma

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How does Ellis still keep his job?  His job performance was the worst on the staff. 

Hamilton was saying that Ellis was not responsible for the PP and it was the head coach who dictates the style of the pp. Ellis was also Adams guy so he may just stick around.

• Vomit 1
  • Sad 2

I do want to see this team coached by a more experienced NHL coach with a winning pedigree. But, I also would have liked to see Granato coach a team that was built with winning in mind. I do think Granato could be a successful mid-season replacement for an underachieving team whose head coach is in the “hard to play for” category. 

It maybe just too early to read anything into who was fired and who wasn’t. I wonder if Appert is the fallback option. If Brind’Amour or Sullivan (or similar) are available and willing, they come in and decisions get made on Ellis and Wilford. If Adams can’t get his top choices, then Appert gets his shot. 

• Vomit 1

Pouring one out for my homie Matt Smith! We crossed paths at my first adult "Learn to Hockey" class that he taught on the side here in Chicago. He had various roles with hockey organizations out here in Chicago and from my experience was a great guy. Seems like an odd firing to pair with the HC being let go, but who knows.

I never knew him well enough to get "insider info" - nor did I feel it was appropriate to ask, just sad to have lost what felt like a personal connection to the team.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Hamilton was saying that Ellis was not responsible for the PP and it was the head coach who dictates the style of the pp. Ellis was also Adams guy so he may just stick around.

I think the only question with Ellis is whether or not the coach wants him on his staff.

If not, he will be offered another role with the organization.

• Agree 1

I think it’s time to start hiring some handsome guys. Enough of these balding, or hanging onto their hair guys. Let’s get some stud behind the bench. If we can’t win in the ice let’s win on good looks! 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ... said:

Yeah, interesting. Ellis as HC for Rochester? Appert moves to the Sabres - maybe HC?

This would be a totally Sabres/Pegula/Adams thing to do.

Hiring Appert into the role (on the cheap) would certainly make it more palatable to be paying Granato not to be HC.

Edited to clarify: This is not something I would in any way endorse. I was just trying to think of the matter from Pegula's perspective.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

1 minute ago, rickshaw said:

I think it’s time to start hiring some handsome guys. Enough of these balding, or hanging onto their hair guys. Let’s get some stud behind the bench. If we can’t win in the ice let’s win on good looks! 

But...

what about Brind'Amour?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I think Granato did his best.  He made an impact for awhile and helped some of the players get to a higher level.  

He could have won more games if his GM did a better job with just the goaltending alone.  

Bottom line to me is he does not have an NHL system and the ability to adjust on game day. 

Disagree. Granato is another in a succession of coaches that has set this team back. What did he teach them that a beast-coach like Maurice, Laviolette or Brind'Amour wouldn't have taught? With someone like the latter three, they would have also learned how to compete like a successful team and at least gained playoff experience.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

8 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Disco has also been our best coach in a decade. Coincidence?

*this is not a defense of Blysma

What?

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

1/3 of the problem has been fixed

Granato(and assistants fired)

Adams fired

Pegula sells the Sabres

Ellis, Wilford and Bales are not fired.  Only Christie and the video guy (Matt Smith) 

2 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

image.thumb.png.b38d9f7e677d3072318d418bbbed185b.png

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I have a problem with him getting an interview given the number of coaches out there with NHL experience.  

I don't want them going with someone the know, like, etc.  

Bring in a change agent and take the next step.  

100% this. Appert may end up being an excellent NHL coach, but this team doesn't need another first timer. They need to go out and get somebody not just with NHL head coach experience, but somebody with playoff experience that can teach these guys what it takes to get to that level. Granato was an excellent developer of talent, but he lacked in many other key areas including experience. It seemed to me like he ran a bit of a country club, and that showed in the lack of accountability which manifested in wildly inconsistent play from game-to-game. They could look like absolute world-beaters one night, then would appear aloof and disinterested the next. That's a lack of discipline to me. A veteran that can get these guys focused and locked in needs to be the target. Hiring your AHL coach would be lazy, uninspired and signal a willingness to accept more of the same, IMO.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Agree 1