When does Pressure return?

PASabreFan

2 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

What we really need aside from all of the conjecture is a 5 game winning streak and Quinn coming back.  Let's see where we sit then.  IMO

I’d settle for a 2 gamer (2 more) with losses by Detroit to Arizona and Islanders to Ottawa along the way 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

If the theory is that the Sabres play better and looser when the pressure is off, when does the pressure return?

I'd say it could be as early as tomorrow night.

volcano GIF

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

All joking aside, I respect the members in the medical community. It's a tough and exhausting profession to be in. Gracias senor.

Much appreciated. 

That's why we especially love coming to SS, we get to vent about all kinds of stuff here, and that's helpful. 

Pay is nice, but some days, I really question the worth. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/13/2024 at 9:58 PM, Thorny said:

If we go out and wallop the Islanders tomorrow, really wallop them like we saw with Detroit, I’ll probably start to shift from “mathematically possible, still in it” mode to belief they have a real shot.

That “we need to go 14-3” (and now 13-3) thing looms large but I can’t shake the feeling the number comes in a bit below 93. If it’s 91: tiebreaker is prob something we own 

12-4 over final 16? It still seems just ridiculous but…again, with what we saw vs Detroit..I’d say that team could maybe do it 

- - - 

What we really need is for the islanders to drop their game with Ottawa while we play Detroit again. Even if we beat the islanders tomorrow we’d be 3 back with them having 2 in hand so realistically 5 points: a tough hill to climb with other teams still in the mix. But if we take care of business vs Detroit while they lose to Ottawa..1 back with them having 2 in hand…3 points, more less…you never know 

Well, we just spanked the Isles with an authoritative hand! LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

Maybe. But the fact we are sitting here at saying something like 10-4-1 *could* do it shows how much it’s tightened up of late, I think. Winning 2/3 rest of way and mixing in an ot loss along the way is *definitively* not absurd. That’s not a crazy stretch and not crazy long 

14 minutes ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

Well, we just spanked the Isles with an authoritative hand! LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

Agree. Like I said above, it’s quickly becoming something, while unlikely, I think they have a real shot at. Though I’ve been on the “still possible” train the whole time. But it was a very long shot and now its merely a long shot. Still a tough road but very possible. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/13/2024 at 9:58 PM, Thorny said:

If we go out and wallop the Islanders tomorrow, really wallop them like we saw with Detroit, I’ll probably start to shift from “mathematically possible, still in it” mode to belief they have a real shot.

That “we need to go 14-3” (and now 13-3) thing looms large but I can’t shake the feeling the number comes in a bit below 93. If it’s 91: tiebreaker is prob something we own 

12-4 over final 16? It still seems just ridiculous but…again, with what we saw vs Detroit..I’d say that team could maybe do it 

- - - 

What we really need is for the islanders to drop their game with Ottawa while we play Detroit again. Even if we beat the islanders tomorrow we’d be 3 back with them having 2 in hand so realistically 5 points: a tough hill to climb with other teams still in the mix. But if we take care of business vs Detroit while they lose to Ottawa..1 back with them having 2 in hand…3 points, more less…you never know 

They played fast last night v NYI. If they can maintain that pace anything could happen.  That is a big if though. I think part of the problem with this team has been that they can't sustain their best hockey. It is just so taxing for them. 

The one thing I am worried about is goaltending. The stakes are just too high to start Comrie at any point right now. They should be bringing Levi up here and there through this stretch and managing his games in the AHL to prepare for it. And if by the grace of all the good hockey ju-ju the Sabres do make the playoffs I think you have to keep Levi up as the backup.

Edited by Mango

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agree. Like I said above, it’s quickly becoming something, while unlikely, I think they have a real shot at. Though I’ve been on the “still possible” train the whole time. But it was a very long shot and now its merely a long shot. Still a tough road but very possible. 

The offense seems to be turning a corner, the team D is better, and UPL is a top 5 goalie in GAA, top 10 in Save%.  Oh, and they just went + on the goal differential. There seems to be a lot of "there" there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

The offense seems to be turning a corner, the team D is better, and UPL is a top 5 goalie in GAA, top 10 in Save%.  Oh, and they just went + on the goal differential. There seems to be a lot of "there" there.

3rd in shut outs. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

They played fast last night v NYI. If they can maintain that pace anything could happen.  That is a big if though. I think part of the problem with this team has been that they can't sustain their best hockey. It is just so taxing for them. 

The one thing I am worried about is goaltending. The stakes are just too high to start Comrie at any point right now. They should be bringing Levi up here and there through this stretch and managing his games in the AHL to prepare for it. And if by the grace of all the good hockey ju-ju the Sabres do make the playoffs I think you have to keep Levi up as the backup.

I don't know that Levi fixes things, maybe he does.  I do think the team is playing confident and has confidence in UPL to help bring even more confidence to their play.

I missed the last game Comrie played but I'd like to see if the Sabres alter their style when he's in net.

Something that stands out to me is Cozens comments after the 4-0 Isles game. ‘ we know how important these games are now ‘. This is a failure of coaching and also a byproduct of a young roster with a lack of veteran leadership. All games are important. Love how they are playing now and I’m enjoying this run but this is something the coaches and players have to learn and fast. Watching the team come out listless for 3/4 of the season before turning it on for the important games will have us possibly missing again. Hopefully they learn the lesson.

• Thanks (+1) 1