2023 Second Round Pick Anton Wahlberg will join the Amerks for the remainder of the season

Brawndo

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I like the size, is he skilled enough to become our version of something like Hornquist was for Pittsburgh? 

I don't think he's quite there. Others are free to comment. To his credit, he played on Sweden's top line with Östlund and Lekkerimaki during the World Junior Championship, but it was more in a complimentary niche role and not because he was more talented than the 9 other rostered forwards. He does have some wheels though which allowed him to play the top line, but he was there for "grit" and not to be a highlight reel player. He looked good in the tournament although he was overshadowed by his linemates.

He needs a year in North America (at a minimum) to really see what he offers.

42 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I don't think he's quite there. Others are free to comment. To his credit, he played on Sweden's top line with Östlund and Lekkerimaki during the World Junior Championship, but it was more in a complimentary niche role and not because he was more talented than the 9 other rostered forwards. He does have some wheels though which allowed him to play the top line, but he was there for "grit" and not to be a highlight reel player. He looked good in the tournament although he was overshadowed by his linemates.

Whole-heartedly agree

27 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Any word on if Östlund is on the way over?

His team is the 2nd seed in the SHL playoffs. He won't be here until they get eliminated. 

13 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

How did that umlaut get in my post? I didn't put it there!

There is a filter on Östlund's name

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

That's what we need though right? The complimentary guys. I'd hope we try to mold him into a Greenway type at least. We don't need more speedy open ice guys, we need net front guys. A big body who gets in front has my interest. 

I would not expect him to make the roster however for at least 2 years, maybe more. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's what we need though right? The complimentary guys. I'd hope we try to mold him into a Greenway type at least. We don't need more speedy open ice guys, we need net front guys. A big body who gets in front has my interest. 

I would not expect him to make the roster however for at least 2 years, maybe more. 

Agreed. He's not physical in the sense of big open ice hits but in the sense of "net front presence." If you watch the Team Sweden highlights from the WJC, he's pretty easy to spot (#22) because he's always either in the corner winning the puck or sitting in front the net. Unfortunately, in a lot of the WJC games, no one is really contesting him sitting in front of the net, so it's not exactly the best example, but the point is still made.

The 2nd Swedish goal during the gold medal game against team USA is a particularly hilarious example. He helped retrieve the puck in the corner, saw the puck was moved to the point, and then went to the front of the net. He ends up tipping a shot wide, Sweden recovers, and the puck ends up at the opposite point where Wahlberg is still just standing there. That puck goes in. It's WJ hockey at its finest.

You mentioned Brett Murray who is honestly a similar player (goes to the net), except Murray never developed NHL speed (among other attributes). Wahlberg, at the very least, has the speed to keep up with Östlund and Lekkerimaki. There's a lot to like about Wahlberg, but he's going to definitely need time to develop. Ideally, he ends up in Rochester for a few seasons where he gets plenty of PK time as well as playing the bumper spot on the power play. That will certainly help his development.

• Like (+1) 1

I came to think of Elmer Söderblom, drafted by Detroit. They both played similar roles for Sweden in WJC and I  think Söderblom was bigger and better. But at age 22 Söderblom is stiłl not an NHLer. So lets hope Wahlberg can find better ways to get to play in Sabres.

On 3/12/2024 at 3:44 PM, DarthEbriate said:

This was an expected outcome given Malmo's place in the standings. I love that he's headed over to get involved immediately.

(What worries me is he does well and finds himself the 4C in Buffalo in October. Such a good end to '23-'24, such a great training camp -- can't block him! And then he's not nearly ready for such a task.)

I agree they'll re-sign Girgensons to play 4C or trade for someone like Laughton before starting Wahlberg there.  He will likely follow Rosen's path.

Edited by Rasmus_

• 2 weeks later...