GDT - Red Wings @ Sabres - 7:00 PM (EDT) - Tuesday, March 12, 2024 - MSG

8 minutes ago, Hank said:

Wow! Someone's insecure with thier masculinity. Hit the gym buddy, you'll feel better about yourself. 

Maybe I should sit outside his house and plan to beat/kill him. Would that be more in line with your masculinity Hank?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • dislike 2

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Maybe I should sit outside his house and plan to beat/kill him. Would that be more in line with your masculinity Hank?

Well played. I was in a very dark place back then. War is hell. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Krebs definitely has some psycho and rat in him.

That was a fun one. He'll be telling his grandkids about that, I'm sure.

OTOH, wtf was Krebs doing last night playing patty cake with this Red Wing after the second major collision with UPL?

As much as I have been raving about how they played lately I admit that is was not good...they shiukld NEVER let them run your goalie. No response is awful. Do we have anybody in the system that can fight when needed? Thought Krebs would stand up and be counted but guess not... 

53 minutes ago, SDS said:

OK Dunning-Krueger. 🙄

There is an onside and there is an offside. There are no multiple sides that are off. It is unequivocally singular. It’s cringy. You hear it from dumb jocks on broadcasts because they barely got out of high school. Then the public repeats it. It’s the same exact scenario in football where they say a team has a +10 turnover ratio when it’s actually a differential. Both are grossly incorrect and repeated incessantly by dumb ex-jocks.

Regardless of etymology, language use is descriptive, not prescriptive.

In other words, the language that is commonly used becomes the proper usage.  Language rules describe how the words are used.

Prescriptive tends to mean based on etymology, the right way to say should be... 

But just like ain't is now considered acceptable usage because it is common usage, so is both offside and offsides.

I used to get more wrapped around the axle about using words correctly but at this point as long as the meaning is clear, who cares?  Well, besides you?  (or should that be "beside you?")

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Regardless of etymology, language use is descriptive, not prescriptive.

The term there is lexicography - the social science of defining words. The descriptive school definitely tracks "language use."

There's a healthy debate out there on whether, to what extent, and in what circumstances which school of thought should govern.

Cue a Barney Miller classic cold-opening

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The term there is lexicography - the social science of defining words. The descriptive school definitely tracks "language use."

There's a healthy debate out there on whether, to what extent, and in what circumstances which school of thought should govern.

Cue a Barney Miller classic cold-opening

So.... I guess I'm Barney Miller and @SDS is the English prof, eh?

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

OTOH, wtf was Krebs doing last night playing patty cake with this Red Wing after the second major collision with UPL?

I see 71 making a nice circle around Berggren.  78 standing and watching as well.  Not the guys that have it in them to stick up for teammates.   One has only a few games left in his NHL career and the other is a 7/8 DMAN at best 

35 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So.... I guess I'm Barney Miller and @SDS is the English prof, eh?

For the purposes of that sketch, you'd want to be Dietrich since he's the one with the epic and subtle punchline.

I'm pretty mixed on the prescriptive/descriptive debate. And I think the best dictionaries should be a blend of those schools as well. Words matter. If we fully go down the rabbit hole of lexicography being descriptive, then we're eventually "through the looking glass," as it were.

John-Tenniel-Humpty-Dumpty.jpg?resize=82

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I see 71 making a nice circle around Berggren.  78 standing and watching as well.  Not the guys that have it in them to stick up for teammates.   One has only a few games left in his NHL career and the other is a 7/8 DMAN at best 

Do you also see 19 skating in with purpose ... and then having a few words with the offending player?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

For the purposes of that sketch, you'd want to be Dietrich since he's the one with the epic and subtle punchline.

I'm pretty mixed on the prescriptive/descriptive debate. And I think the best dictionaries should be a blend of those schools as well. Words matter. If we fully go down the rabbit hole of lexicography being descriptive, then we're eventually "through the looking glass," as it were.

John-Tenniel-Humpty-Dumpty.jpg?resize=82

Do you also see 19 skating in with purpose ... and then having a few words with the offending player?

And Dumpty wasn’t an egg. 

On 3/12/2024 at 4:53 PM, Thorny said:

Caps go 1-2 (@Oilers @Kraken @Canucks)

Devils go 1-1 (@stars @coyotes)

- - - 

NY lslanders  66gp, 72 points (0.545 down 0.018)

Detroit Red Wings 67gp, 72 points (0.537 down 0.017)

Washington Caps 66gp, 71 points (0.538 down 0.010)

Buffalo Sabres 68gp, 71 points (0.522 UP 0.014)

NJ Devils 67gp, 68 points (0.507 down 0.001)

Point % in El Thorno's dream scenario vs today's:
image.thumb.png.c06e28779a3b7102c99d571ac957009d.png

Prettttttttttttttttttty happy with how that is trending. Still a steep climb, but one step at a time, I guess.

9 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Rat for sure but that is definitely different than being a fighter.

1 hour ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Point % in El Thorno's dream scenario vs today's:
image.thumb.png.c06e28779a3b7102c99d571ac957009d.png

Prettttttttttttttttttty happy with how that is trending. Still a steep climb, but one step at a time, I guess.

And hey look I detailed a breakdown for making the playoffs without sarcastically mocking anyone! Shock 

Notably, the odds jumped to 3.2% with the win. Doesn’t seem like a lot but it about doubled as it was only around 1.6 headed in. And that was only 1 win. Completing that 5 gamer in a row I mentioned probably gets us to ~ 20%, which be a mark probably on par with the other teams in the mix: ie the odds outright may not look “good” but we may have as good odds as basically any ONE team, and just be dealing with a “field” issue 

That is to say, it would probably look pretty good to our eyes if it even sat at something like 20

Edited by Thorny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Notably, the odds jumped to 3.2% with the win. Doesn’t seem like a lot but it about doubled as it was only around 1.6 headed in. And that was only 1 win. Completing that 5 gamer in a row I mentioned probably gets us to ~ 20%, which be a mark probably on par with the other teams in the mix: ie the odds outright may not look “good” but we may have as good odds as basically any ONE team, and just be dealing with a “field” issue 

That is to say, it would probably look pretty good to our eyes if it even sat at something like 20

Am I the only one that gets actually excited about "hey, we could maybe somehow do this!!" then gets really mad that they waited this long again this year? It's maddening because other than BB, this was here all along ...

1 minute ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Am I the only one that gets actually excited about "hey, we could maybe somehow do this!!" then gets really mad that they waited this long again this year? It's maddening because other than BB, this was here all along ...

The Venn diagram where we fall, of those who absolutely think we can make the playoffs and are absolutely going to hold it against the regime if they don’t while holding them to the expectation is shrinking