Staying the course - Comments from Season Ticket Holder Q and A

Derrico

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

None of this represents a legitimate obstacle to finding a way to finish 16/32 once in 4 years 

By all means: sign up some mercenaries to achieve a goal, to make the playoffs. The connotation is ridiculous but whatever: they are all “mercenaries”

People don’t want to come here because we suck? Field a winner in any way you can: home grown or not. Pay what you need to pay. Stop measuring assets by way of what they will grant you in the future: evaluate and assess how your assets can be parlayed into a playoff berth right now 

We already have spent most of our core money on Power, Dahlin, Cozens and Thompson plus Skinner and the first 4 aren’t being dealt for any quick fix to hope we squeak into the playoffs. After that it turns into an ugly mess of multiple younger players who could very well be better than most potential replacements in the case of Quinn and Peterka, and can Benson or could he go to Rochester next year? Trading any of those 3 for minimally better older replacements is just a short sighted decision that will not work out for you. Also, I’m not even saying distant future; I’m referring to the following season. If we can find a great piece for our 1st this year, go get him since we have a backlog of players. But don’t rob from Peter to pay Paul. Don’t spend everything for 24-25 at the cost of the next three seasons through short sighted desperation moves.

As for signing mercenaries, when the last time that actually worked for us? Teams with a solid core and culture can support and fit mercenaries into the periphery; here they are more likely to just be Taylor Hall looking for a payday and an easy escape to a different team when the deadline roles around. For mercenary players to work, you need them to buy in to playing here for the entire year, not at their leisure.

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

We already have spent most of our core money on Power, Dahlin, Cozens and Thompson plus Skinner and the first 4 aren’t being dealt for any quick fix to hope we squeak into the playoffs. After that it turns into an ugly mess of multiple younger players who could very well be better than most potential replacements in the case of Quinn and Peterka, and can Benson or could he go to Rochester next year? Trading any of those 3 for minimally better older replacements is just a short sighted decision that will not work out for you. Also, I’m not even saying distant future; I’m referring to the following season. If we can find a great piece for our 1st this year, go get him since we have a backlog of players. But don’t rob from Peter to pay Paul. Don’t spend everything for 24-25 at the cost of the next three seasons through short sighted desperation moves.

As for signing mercenaries, when the last time that actually worked for us? Teams with a solid core and culture can support and fit mercenaries into the periphery; here they are more likely to just be Taylor Hall looking for a payday and an easy escape to a different team when the deadline roles around. For mercenary players to work, you need them to buy in to playing here for the entire year, not at their leisure.

I disagree 

Just now, Thorny said:

I disagree 

So where are you getting the cap and roster spots from?

Im not trading the big 4 and Skinner is an anchor barring him wanting to go to SJ to lay on the beaches. 

Quinn and Peterka are the most cost effective players your going to find since they are on ELCs

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Im not trading the big 4 and Skinner is an anchor barring him wanting to go to SJ to lay on the beaches. 

Quinn and Peterka are the most cost effective players your going to find since they are on ELCs

Yes, your entire plan of action is informed by such a different philosophical stance to mine I can’t even begin to address it on a point by point basis, it would just be a waste of both our times. You start out by looking for reasons why we need to keep each player, I start out within a stance that any asset is on the table in the name of securing a playoff spot next year

i don’t see it as a scenario where we are “cashing in the future” because a couple moves, regardless of what prospects we pay, isn’t going to severely handicap our future. The misnomer is that we need to “sell the farm”. No, we just need to budge a few times. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

My stance is also informed by the fact we need to make the playoffs next year. I feel like that’s an incredibly fair bar for Adams and this regime, but regardless, it’s my bar. @DarthEbriatesaid something to me recently and it was a good reminder and hit home. At some point, it becomes my own fault for putting up with it. My line is 5 years. If we can’t make the playoffs next year and Adams retains his job, I am going to cut ties for my own sanity. I’ll always be a “fan” and they’ll always have a place in my heart but, I can’t in good conscience continue following and contributing to the fandom (and this board) like I do (for some, this will undoubtedly represent a vast improvement to their fandom) 

I wouldn’t blame you at all if you choose to disregard my stance in totality because I’m funnelling it so throughly through the prism of needing to make the playoffs next year. It’s certainly a bias. But it’s admitted bias, it’s out there in the open. Feel free to call me out on anything that isn’t congruent. In my favour, I’ve maintained that as the objective line well before I made it personal 

Ill be angsty until we make it this season, or are eliminated: I’m putting that aside willingly once the offseason/next season starts: I’m sure as shite not spending my last season around here wallowing. It’ll be a fun year and we will either make it, or not. 

i may not be a “season ticket holder” but I’ve been signing up for a front row seat for 3 decades. It represents no one but myself but as a die hard fan, this is my feeling at this time 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

My stance is also informed by the fact we need to make the playoffs next year. I feel like that’s an incredibly fair bar for Adams and this regime, but regardless, it’s my bar. @DarthEbriatesaid something to me recently and it was a good reminder and hit home. At some point, it becomes my own fault for putting up with it. My line is 5 years. If we can’t make the playoffs next year and Adams retains his job, I am going to cut ties for my own sanity. I’ll always be a “fan” and they’ll always have a place in my heart but, I can’t in good conscience continue following and contributing to the fandom (and this board) like I do (for some, this will undoubtedly represent a vast improvement to their fandom) 

I wouldn’t blame you at all if you choose to disregard my stance in totality because I’m funnelling it so throughly through the prism of needing to make the playoffs next year. It’s certainly a bias. But it’s admitted bias, it’s out there in the open. Feel free to call me out on anything that isn’t congruent.

Ill be angsty until we make it this season, or are eliminated: I’m putting that aside willingly once the offseason/next season starts: I’m sure as shite not spending my last season around here wallowing. It’ll be a fun year and we will either make it, or not. 

i may not be a “season ticket holder” but I’ve been signing up for a front row seat for 3 decades. It represents no one but myself but as a die hard fan, this is my feeling at this time 

I too want to make the playoffs desperately but not to a point of being willing cut off my  arm for a chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

And why would a mod be blocking me? For calling out the whiners for their nonsense posts? LOL indeed.

Kevyn. If you’re going to be rude can you at least provide us with some more inside information other than “fans bad, GM good”?

Boy that Bo Byram trade sure seems to be helping out greatly! And look that garbage trade for Greeny seems to be paying dividends as well, who knew? Also, that irrelevant trade for Robinson seems to have provided a nice 4th line player with speed, hustle, and grit, shocker! Albeit KA's lack of moves last summer hurt (especially after the Quinn injury), besides that, where has he gone wrong again? Oh wait, bc I'm not old and bitter I don't want to win now. I'm not educated on hockey, or I'm just a "passive" fan. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

Boy that Bo Byram trade sure seems to be helping out greatly! And look that garbage trade for Greeny seems to be paying dividends as well, who knew? Also, that irrelevant trade for Robinson seems to have provided a nice 4th line player with speed, hustle, and grit, shocker! Albeit KA's lack of moves last summer hurt (especially after the Quinn injury), besides that, where has he gone wrong again? Oh wait, bc I'm not old and bitter I don't want to win now. I'm not educated on hockey, or I'm just a "passive" fan. 

You young whipper snapper get offa my lawn punk why I outta😉

• Haha (+1) 3

In my view three things:

1. Still need a coaching change.

2. This team is one or two forwards from becoming very competitive. One of those needs to be a strong, gritty, 2 way vet forward who can skate and add a physical presence. What the Tkachuk kid brought to FL last year. But one that can fight if needed. Whatever it takes. Trade Savoie & the 1st round pick this year if needed. The other forward could come from the program (eg, Kulich) and when Quinn comes back that will help. 

(I wouldn’t be opposed to trading Samuelsson if it brought in that kind of player; then add a lower priced veteran RHD). 

3. Players like Benson, Power, Johnson, even Tage and Peterka - most of the team - needs to get into a great weight training program in the off season. The lack of physical development hinders the overall development. You can see Power’s lack of speed & strong legs hurts him. He should spend the summer with UPL. His leg work program made all the difference. Benson needs to get bigger, stronger, faster. Upper and lower body and add min. 10 lbs of muscle - to be stronger in the corners, improve his speed, and develop his shot.  If that happens with these players we will see a big difference. Imagine Power at 225-230, faster, better balanced skating, and a more physical presence when players attack the zone. And imagine Benson being the same player he is but 180 lbs, wins more corner battles, skates faster & quicker, more physical, & shoots harder? 

The need a legit, top of the line off season program and add 1-2 players and I think they will be a playoff team next year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

Great post Kevyn

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

By cracky, where's yer spittoon?

Don't worry about his spittoon---worry about the shotgun he's got racked by the door to deal with the punks who get too close to his manicured front lawn. 🤡

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

This place sucks lol 

Make the f*cking the playoffs 

get out of here with this gaslighting sh*t

yes, if you don’t ever finish above 20th out of 32 your GM is doing an objectively poor job 

“Besides that wHeRe hAs hE gOnE wRonG aGaIn?!” 

nhl.com/standings

^ start there. By all means be happy with whatever metrics for progress you want divorced from the what they rest of the league measures by but do not outwardly mock those that actually want success. You are literally sarcastically mocking fans in the middle of a 13 year drought, as if it’s absurd we want to actually win.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 3/11/2024 at 10:30 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I think Kev is saying he can't get elite players to come to Buffalo so we have to grow our own. 

Or that the Wells have dried up and Terrys wallet is empty paying for the Bills, and the new roof & Scoreboard in the arena......

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Or that the Wells have dried up and Terrys wallet is empty paying for the Bills, and the new roof & Scoreboard in the arena......

I don't think that at all. If that were true why sign Dahlin, Thompson and Cozens to big deals? It's not like he didn't know he was going to build a stadium.

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think that at all. If that were true why sign Dahlin, Thompson and Cozens to big deals? It's not like he didn't know he was going to build a stadium.

I think we can read a lot from how Botts lost his job. The subtext there was, “we are bad while spending a lot of money, look, we can be bad while spending less, in that case.”

I think he’s willing to fork out, it’s just not the default anymore. Our GM is to do whatever he wants to do in an economic way, first, and if the pillars of the operation progress to the extent it looks like it can support the weight of more cash: it’s on the table.

I don’t see close to the urgency in fielding a winner that id like to see, and some of that manifests in our leaning towards spending less, but it’s not a hard line thing 

On 3/12/2024 at 6:21 AM, SabresVet said:

I'd hope Adams is open to replacing the HC if they go down the stretch lukewarm to finish the season.  But I'm not holding my breath either. 

I believe they’re going to do well in these games this week to close the gap towards a playoff spot (sucking us in to the hope).  Then they’ll go on a road trip and get overmatched by Seattle, Vancouver and Edmonton, losing much of the momentum they gained.

There are more winnable games down the stretch that they’ll win to stay close.  Finally, with a playoff spot still possible, they’ll hit that season ending Florida trip and lay an egg, again.

22 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

I believe they’re going to do well in these games this week to close the gap towards a playoff spot (sucking us in to the hope).  Then they’ll go on a road trip and get overmatched by Seattle, Vancouver and Edmonton, losing much of the momentum they gained.

There are more winnable games down the stretch that they’ll win to stay close.  Finally, with a playoff spot still possible, they’ll hit that season ending Florida trip and lay an egg, again.

As soon as they lose 3 more games in regulation they are essentially mathematically eliminated. If they have a road trip where we drop a couple games, that’s probably the end of it 

If we fail to grab 7 points of the remaining 32, we cannot make the playoffs if a team gets 93

Best bet is 12-4, hit 91 and win a tiebreaker. If we beat the NYI tomorrow their current pace would actually be 91

Edited by Thorny

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think we can read a lot from how Botts lost his job. The subtext there was, “we are bad while spending a lot of money, look, we can be bad while spending less, in that case.”

I think he’s willing to fork out, it’s just not the default anymore. Our GM is to do whatever he wants to do in an economic way, first, and if the pillars of the operation progress to the extent it looks like it can support the weight of more cash: it’s on the table.

I don’t see close to the urgency in fielding a winner that id like to see, and some of that manifests in our leaning towards spending less, but it’s not a hard line thing 

You ignore a small detail of the Botterill era: COVID shutting down the NHL. 

• Disagree 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:36 PM, Sabres73 said:

"Sounds like they are preparing to miss again next year". I don't know what you were listening to dude, but that's a ridiculous comment for someone to make if they did indeed listen to it.

This has been a disappointing year, but I'm hopeful for many years of success coming. What is more disappointing has been reading flat out dumb comments this season from so-called fans spewing a lot of crap, in my opinion. I'm very disappointed in a lot of the posters on this site. Flame away.

You should be disappointed in yourself.  It really appears that you cannot take any criticism toward the Sabres organization.  You don’t respect opinions that don’t align with yours.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1