Next season's (24-25) goaltending situation?

I'm excited about the prospect of UPL continuing (and even improving further?!) his great play into next season.

I've also come around to see the value in letting Levi start in Rochester. His incredible play at the end of last season was an exciting glimpse into what he can become, but he does, indeed, need to find his groove.

Is there a way to have Levi be both the starter in Rochester, and start in Buffalo for all of UPL's "nights off"? I feel like the Sabres hinted at a little of this during the current season.

I am concerned about the assets that bringing in a solid, proven #2 'tender might require.

Edited by erickompositör72

14 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Is there a way to have Levi be both the starter in Rochester, and the backup in Buffalo?

No.  A backup needs to be available on all game days in case the #1 gets injured or ill on game day or needs to be pulled because he's getting shelled or whatever.  You simply need a second goalie on the bench, period.  If Levi is racking up minutes in Rochester, he's not on the Sabres bench.

You could have a scenario where on planned off days (back-to-backs, etc.) you could call him up to give UPL a night off, but that's only part of what a backup does.  If you leave Levi in Rochester to develop, you need another backup on the Sabres (a la Comrie, but hopefully someone better).

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

No.  A backup needs to be available on all game days in case the #1 gets injured or ill on game day or needs to be pulled because he's getting shelled or whatever.  You simply need a second goalie on the bench, period.  If Levi is racking up minutes in Rochester, he's not on the Sabres bench.

You could have a scenario where on planned off days (back-to-backs, etc.) you could call him up to give UPL a night off, but that's only part of what a backup does.  If you leave Levi in Rochester to develop, you need another backup on the Sabres (a la Comrie, but hopefully someone better).

Sorry, I was referring to a situation that you referenced: UPL's "nights off" being planned starts for Levi. I will edit the original post

I’d rather not go into a season that could potentially be our 5th straight miss under this regime and 14th straight overall without being confident in the goaltending. I’d value that pretty highly and pay accordingly. I’m definitely concerned about backup goalie, in today’s NHL it’s 35/40% as important as your starter. They can go with Levi, but they absolutely need to be right on that evaluation, then 

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, erickompositör72 said:

Sorry, I was referring to a situation that you referenced: UPL's "nights off" being planned starts for Levi. I will edit the original post

The problem is that we do not get a good back-up if that is what we are going to do. We just get an even worse reputation. We need to get a good back-up for next season and the situation has to be competitive and if the back-up is playing better than UPL, the better is the one playing. The contract should be for one year, Levi will be ready after another year in Rochester.

I'd think the plan is (and probably should be) levi as the backup.

He's had a taste of the NHL (good and bad) and by early next year he will have had another full camp with the team and about a half season in Rochester also. I would not want him anointed as starter, but I think, if you believe in him, the backup roll should be good for him by next season.

If they do sign a vet free agent to be the backup and keep Levi in Rochester, I wouldn't be my fist choice, but I'd be OK with it also.

My big thing is to get UPL signed and I hope to a 2-3 year deal at least. Levi, if he even DOES turn into what you want him to, its going to be a couple of years.

Edited by mjd1001

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'd think the plan is (and probably should be) levi as the backup.

He's had a taste of the NHL (good and bad) and by early next year he will have had another full camp with the team and about a half season in Rochester also. I would not want him anointed as starter, but I think, if you believe in him, the backup roll should be good for him by next season.

In theory, I think it makes sense. However, the idea of him getting as much playing time and as many starts as possible seems extremely valuable. I fear having him as the backup would not allow for that.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’d rather not go into a season that could potentially be our 5th straight miss under this regime and 14th straight overall without being confident in the goaltending. I’d value that pretty highly and pay accordingly. I’m definitely concerned about backup goalie, in today’s NHL it’s 35/40% as important as your starter. They can go with Levi, but they absolutely need to be right on that evaluation, then 

I definitely can see that. My worry is whether we have enough assets for other needs we may have (whatever they may be...)

Do you see a potential where other needs may be compromised by paying a high price for a backup? Or do you think other needs are not at the same priority level? Apologies for referencing so much in the abstract.

2 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

In theory, I think it makes sense. However, the idea of him getting as much playing time and as many starts as possible seems extremely valuable. I fear having him as the backup would not allow for that.

I could go either way on it so if that is what happens, I'm fine with it.

As I said in my prior post, Levi in Buffalo as the backup or Rochester as the main starter matters less to me than signing UPL. Doesn't have to be a huge long 6-7 year deal, but it better be for more than 1.  Levi, in Roch or as a backup in Buffalo, will likely need more than 1 more season to become what you want him to, if he does even reach that potential.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I definitely can see that. My worry is whether we have enough assets for other needs we may have (whatever they may be...)

Do you see a potential where other needs may be compromised by paying a high price for a backup? Or do you think other needs are not at the same priority level? Apologies for referencing so much in the abstract.

No, because we have the capital in pick and prospects to handle any transaction we need 

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

My big thing is to get UPL signed and I hope to a 2-3 year deal at least. Levi, if he even DOES turn into what you want him to, its going to be a couple of years.

Based on the second half of this season, I think I would try to sign UPL for longer than that.  Several scenarios could play out:

• UPL is a stud and so is Levi, and you're looking at an Ullmark/Swayman kind of tandem.
  • UPL fades quickly but Levi's a stud.  Levi becomes #1 and UPL is the backup (I think he will remain at least backup quality).
  • Levi never realizes his potential and either becomes back up to UPL or the Sabres replace him.
  • The both wash out and you have to bring in another #1, retaining UPL as the backup.

The way I see it, signing UPL to a longer term like 5-6 years is prudent; I think he's proven himself at the NHL level.  Levi still hasn't.  Reward the best player.  It doesn't mean Levi will never be The Guy, it just acknowledges what UPL has accomplished this year.

• Like (+1) 4

UPL to me is a 3/4 year contract guy; frankly I feel that way with most solid goalies because of how often they can change. Give him 4x4mil, both sides get some security as well as the cost is neither cheap nor prohibitive. 

As for Levi, I'd have him penciled in as the starter in Rochester

As for backup in the NHL, find the best goalie you can for 2mil or less for 1 year.

• Like (+1) 2

Have we not learned anything about Adams at this point? What is the cheapest and worst route to take with the goaltending?  Why a combo of UPL/Levi of course.  Instead of letting Levi develop properly, Adams will anoint him the backup and sign someone like Tokarski as his starter in Rochester and emergency replacement in case someone gets hurt.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Eyeroll 3
  • dislike 1

8 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

I'm excited about the prospect of UPL continuing (and even improving further?!) his great play into next season.

I've also come around to see the value in letting Levi start in Rochester. His incredible play at the end of last season was an exciting glimpse into what he can become, but he does, indeed, need to find his groove.

Is there a way to have Levi be both the starter in Rochester, and start in Buffalo for all of UPL's "nights off"? I feel like the Sabres hinted at a little of this during the current season.

I am concerned about the assets that bringing in a solid, proven #2 'tender might require.

I think Kevin Lankinen would be the perfect backup for 6K next year. He's 28, Finnish, and a UFA this summer. Nashville is not resigning him because they're bringing up Askarov to back up Saros. I think Adams goes with Levi though. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think Levi needs another year (+ maybe) as Rochester starter.

If I am KA I will be looking to sign a capable (NHL player now) backup for 6K.

I would also sign 6K to a 5 @ $4.5M (or so) contract.  He is the #1 now and will be for probably 4 years, baring disaster.

On 3/10/2024 at 5:44 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Have we not learned anything about Adams at this point? What is the cheapest and worst route to take with the goaltending?  Why a combo of UPL/Levi of course.  Instead of letting Levi develop properly, Adams will anoint him the backup and sign someone like Tokarski as his starter in Rochester and emergency replacement in case someone gets hurt.  

People don't like this post, but bad news folks this is exactly what Adams and Granato alluded too at todays STH call.  Sorry.

I’m hoping he brings in a backup but history suggests he bet on Levi to do something even more unlikely this season, so it would be pretty stupid to think he wouldn’t attempt a slightly less risky gamble next year 

It’s the default until proven otherwise 

Edited by Thorny